Surviving a con

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

josephbt
Knight

Surviving a con

Post by josephbt »

SFerakon is over. See more here SFerakon

I'm dead beat. Anyone got good cures for an epic hangover?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Maxus
Overlord

Re: Surviving a con

Post by Maxus »

josephbt wrote:SFerakon is over. See more here SFerakon

Time is the only thing that actually works. Everything else is damage control.

Right now, I'd say get a hot shower or bath, clean yourself up so you feel better, take a few aspirin, and eat some dry toast or crackers, and drink a glass or two of water in sips. You're dehydrated right now, and that's causing the headache; just remember to sip it. If you're nauseous, gulping a glass of water would be bad unless you like looking through your own vomit for your toenails.

After that, turn off all the lights, cover the windows, and curl up somewhere warm, and try to sleep or at least rest for a few hours.

Edit: After doing a bit of research beyond my own experience, I'd say go for general replenishing food and drinks, too. If you've got any orange juice or Gatorade-ish drinks around, try them, and eat a healthy meal soon.

When and if you're feeling up to it, exercise should help you metabolize the alcohol more quickly.
Last edited by Maxus on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

"Hair of the dog that bit you."
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

actually, more alcohol is the last thing he needs, sigma, a hangover is your body telling you that you were an idiot for drinking last night, because it's damaged and dehydrated, water and light food is much better for a hungover person.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, a little to eat, lots of water (really, you should have had a lot of water the night before to reduce the chances of hangover - works really well if you end up being sick several times, and then fill up on food and water after) and possibly some painkillers.

Tylenol/paracetamol is shit. All it's good for is poisoning your liver.
Ibuprofen is better for pain with inflammation, but might work.
Codeine is your friend here. I try to always have some Panadine 15 at home in case of severe-but-not-hospitalising pain. 30mg of codeine should make the hangover disappear (well, the headache aspect). 60mg will make you want to sit back and relax, very light-headed, and very very happy.

But then you'll have itchiness and constipation to deal with. All of this assumes you're of a more or less "average" build, in the 5'6, 100-130lbs region, with an average metabolism. Your mileage may vary.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak_Anima wrote:actually, more alcohol is the last thing he needs, sigma, a hangover is your body telling you that you were an idiot for drinking last night, because it's damaged and dehydrated, water and light food is much better for a hungover person.
Hm.
Perhaps our bodies react differently then.
20+ beers the evening before, and yes I will be shaking and weak the next sunrise, but 1 beer later and I'm fine again.

But red wine or pinot grigio gives me a headache like the flu. Uegh. I don't touch that shit.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That's pretty common, sigma, there are alkaloids in red wine which some people don't react to well.

But yes, while you can use beer as a solution it's not a real solution, merely masking the problem, which is dehydration.

Water, a V8 or gatorade, and more water.

-Crissa
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

I fvcked up and went out for some mexican. It was so hot&spicy that beer and cola-wine were the only things able to put out the fire. Basically, i got pissed again.

Luckily, my boss was really busy today. I barely stood.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

josephbt wrote:It was so hot&spicy that beer and cola-wine were the only things able to put out the fire.
If you're eating spicy food, the last thing you want to do to try to put out the fire is drink liquid. It spreads the oils around your mouth and can really make it worse.

Your best bet is some plain bread-like product (ie: crackers, bread, tortillas), and/or some dairy products like sour cream and yogurt.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Milk is apparently good for neutralising the spiciness, and cousins who were subject to "If you swear, you get chilli put on your tongue" as kids (and did it do any good? Nope) swear by toothpaste. But I imagine you wouldn't carry toothpaste around when going out for dinner.

Still, next time make sure there's something dairy. Hell, ice cream should do the trick.
K
King

Re: Surviving a con

Post by K »

josephbt wrote:SFerakon is over. See more here SFerakon

Bananas, water, and bedtime. When you can walk without hurling, Mexican food or other fatty/protieny crap.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I carry toothpaste in my purse. Especially when going out to dinner.

-Crissa