Old, but still fucking scary

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Old, but still fucking scary

Post by Judging__Eagle »

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/robotic-sent ... 212241.php

I'm a big fan of new tech, but stuff like this gives me the chills.

If there was at least a human operator giving the "fire" command I'd feel a lot better. You can even leave auto-tracking and targeting and fire-control to the AI, just leave the "shoot/don't shoot" option to a human.

I'm not saying that the human will do the right thing, but I hope that they will more often. Also, they'll have to live with themselves if they give the command to shoot a little girl whose ball landed in the wrong spot or if a soldier surrenders.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Americans began using the remote flying robots in this relatively recent invasion of Iraq.
And when I saw them in action on the news my blood turned cold.
It's begun.
The war of robot proxies.

Giant mecha will be a possibility within our own lifetimes.

But seeing the Samsung logo at the end made me lol. Imagine if common Western brands began manufacturing automated weapons?
GE?
Microsoft?
Google?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

GE does make automatic weapons.

So does Microsoft. They're responsible for crashing the USS Ronald Reagan.

Also, search for 'robot weapon misfires' for the video of an automatic AA gun that swiveled and tried to fire at a stand of delegates - and only failed to fire because it had already run out of ammo.

-Crissa
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

sigma999 wrote:Americans began using the remote flying robots in this relatively recent invasion of Iraq.
And when I saw them in action on the news my blood turned cold.
It's begun.
The war of robot proxies.
We've been using drones for the past forever, putting bombs on them is really just the logical extension of the concept.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

We have not yet begun to fight. There are so many things that are already down the tube and so many more coming it's scary. Just for the record, the "human behind the trigger" thing has been the popular thing for a while but it is finally making its way sensibly out. Here is the reason.

Your computer/machine detects the presence of another machine, then boosts the display output in certain frequencies so that you can see it. It targets, it recognizes targets, it tracks the position of targets, it fires the weapons, it makes sure that the weapons hit appropriately. So what do you do? You pull a trigger after looking at the modified data that it sent you suggesting where a target was and pull the trigger (if given an order). Really, it doesn't need you, so you might as well not be there.

Also, SkyNet is coming. I am going to graduate soon (2 weeks!), and one of the people working with the school is essentially building it (he came to Senior Design the other day in order to recruit grad students such as myself). He put it as "the internet is already on the ground, we just want to take it to a distributed satellite network with intelligent routing capabilities".
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

For the record, I welcome our new robot overlords.

Point 2: S.A.W. != BFG
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

y'know... they say be careful what you wish for... and now I want to go back in time to kick my younger self in the nuts everytime he wished he could a be a resistance fighter against the robot menace...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

If you really want to crap your pants, start reading the predictions of some of the successful futurists.

http://mindstalk.net/vinge/vinge-sing.html

You know, little things like awakened machine becoming a reality and living forever. The funny thing is that they aren't arguing about how it is going to happen but how people will deal with it when it does.