Party Gear, too much?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Party Gear, too much?

Post by virgil »

I have players with the following magic items, each (*) representing a single magic item. They are each level 7, and all of the bonuses are scaling based on the Book of Gears magic gear. I'm curious as to whether I'm giving too much or too little for the party.

Cleric
* +3 enchancement to saves
* +3 enchancement to Wisdom
* +7 to diplomacy when bribing w/fairy gold & +3 enchancement to Charisma
Githzerai Monk
* +3 enhancement to saves
* +3 enhancement to Dexterity
* +3 enhancement to Spell Resistance
* +15' enhancement to speed
* Improved Grapple, Use Dexterity instead of Strength w/grapple, +7 to Hide
Fighter
* +3 enhancement to armor
* +3 enhancement to weapon
* +3 enhancement to Strength
* +3 enhancement to Dexterity
* Whirlwind ability of a Large air elemental
Ranger
* +3 enhancement to armor
* +3 enhancement to weapon
* +2 deflection to AC
* Animal companion has the wood element template applied
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JonSetanta
King

Re: Party Gear, too much?

Post by JonSetanta »

virgileso wrote: Fighter
* Whirlwind ability of a Large air elemental
Nice touch. Do they use this for mobility as well?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The fighter basically has racial levels that give him a fly speed (average maneuverability), then he took the hover feat, so he mainly uses it for crowd control.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

As I understand it, the magic is +1/3 levels. At level 7, those should all be +2.

That being said, it looks about right. Each person has 3 items that do about 2 things.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The Book of Gears' magic was intended to round up, so that a magic sword was +1 at first level.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

virgileso wrote:The fighter basically has racial levels that give him a fly speed (average maneuverability), then he took the hover feat, so he mainly uses it for crowd control.
Aha! So he took the route of becoming less mortal and more... hm.. "divine"... when the pure warrior archetype fails.
Smart, even if it does warp the common role of Dunderhead Meat Shield, and similar to how my old 3.0 Fighter/Monk/Cleric gained the ability to liquify himself as reward from some extended quest.

For the rest of the party:
~ Cleric needs a little more. Bonus to WIS seems fine at first but numerically only grants a few spells, and that's a limited resource. Needs a little bit physical protection, if any, unless going the path of Orihime from Bleach (total healer).
~ Monk will abuse that shit like crazy. And that's probably fine, if full warrior.
~ Fighter should have some sort of weapon ability befitting the attack method. Control for ranged, more damage for melee, or whatever... unless that's included in the +3 enhancement.
~ Ranger needs a single stat booster, maybe in exchange for removing or lessening the Deflection (I see it as limited use). Probably would begin to feel left out later in campaign without some better stats.
I also wouldn't count the Wooded template as part of these calculations.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Meh Sigma, I've made a lvl 7 'fighter' that was all melee and/or throwing combat (Dung Monk 1/RoW Fighter 6); you don't really have to stop being a melee brute to be effective.

I picked up the "Con damage to Slam attacks" + "All Weapon attacks are affected by your fighting Style" Fighting styles.

Picked up dual swords (bastard sword + short sword) and a bag full of Coldfire, Alchemist's Fire and Acid Flasks as my weapons. Armour of choice: Silksteel armour; a heavy armour excellent for sneaking and hiding.

I picked up a pile of feats

Insightful strike
Two Weapon Fighting
Blitz
Whirlwind

Zen Archery
Point-Blank Shot
Sniper
(the alertness skill feat)

I prioritized, Int (Skill pts), Wis (Melee & Ranged Attack Bonuses; Ability to notice invisible people via listen checks; Armour Bonuses since greater than Dex), Dex (Ability to sneak) and Con (Hit points).

I didn't need much str since I can hit due to wisdom and my damage came from applying con damage rapidly with the option to Blitz for more in melee; or Blitz + Point Blank Shot + Sniper to apply my BaB twice to ranged touch attacks.

Basically the character was a very, very unsquishy scout that guarded the rogues and could do a lot of damage via his thrown attacks.

I had initially thought about only using darts, but someone suggested the alchemists fire etc. and I agreed that it would help by making my chance to hit very high.

The character was pretty much a damage-dealing machine and was able to 1-round kill a Trent [MM CR 8] (Alchemist's Fire's bonus damage helped with this) and then a a couple rounds later to 1-round kill a Conflagration Ooze [mm3 CR 7] (coldfire mostly helped with this; since it's a fire monster).

Going toe-to-toe with a CR 12 Wartroll at level 7 by blitzting probably wasn't smart. It got an AoO on me and stunned me (I think it had Combat School; which pushes it's CR to well about the .... 12 listed in MM3. I did get a pile of acid damage on it though. The Barbarian finished the job.

The funny thing was that he was the only PC that had knowledge skills high enough to matter at IDing monsters (can't use the right flask unless you know what a mob is weak to, right?) and was one of the more capable hiders (an other being the Xill Assasin; but c'mon being able to hide almost as well as a Xill assasin? That's saying something); despite wearing a lot of armour.

In a melee fight against a mob, the character would whirlwind and drop two blitzed sword slashes on each person he could reach. Against single targets, he would use all four of his attacks to just slash away and drop the con of his target. In a fight against something that wasn't in melee range he could toss some flasks before charging or running into a better position.

Of course, he wasn't a straight sword/board or 2H sword fighter; but to most people he just looked like a guy in a lot of armour, with two swords, a shield and three large pouches on his belt. Until you realized he had vanished or had thrown vials of acid.

Of course, once you start getting past level 6; you see the character do wierd shit. Like kill a whole room full of mooks in 6 seconds or burn a 30 foot tall tree man to death with firebombs.