Spellcasting Mooks

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I was mainly trying to have it be like an actual weapon, with range increments, proficiencies, non-touch attacks, masterwork, etc. Because spellcasters generally don't get martial weapon proficiency, I figured simple proficiency + spellcasting was equivalent. As far as the switch in stats for mighty, I countered it with SR.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Honestly I'd recommend making em 4E style.

Give them at will and encounter abilities.

Basically look at their CR. Then assign them like 2 spells of a level equal to half their CR as encounter powers. give them 2 more spells from a level one lower than that.

Then from the levels lower than that, choose 2-4 At will spells, with at least one at will from each level.

So for instance, for say a level 8 NPC wizard.
Enc: confusion, enervation, haste, fireball
AW: scorching ray, web, magic missile, color spray.

Done.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

FrankTrollman wrote:Wasn't really planning on it. Aristocrats and Experts don't usually even need rules.

-Username17
What about Commoners?
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

Jerry wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Wasn't really planning on it. Aristocrats and Experts don't usually even need rules.

-Username17
What about Commoners?
IIRC the "Races of War" position was that there is no such thing as a meaningful commoner class. Commoner = creature with a racial hit die, poor BAB and minimal skills. :?
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

But weirdly enough, RoW says there were going to be aristocrat and expert classes.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Meh, Commoners are easy enough to create. If you don't want to care, just give them 4hp, +0 attack, AC 10, and +4 to their profession; oh, and +0 to all saves.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

virgileso wrote:I was mainly trying to have it be like an actual weapon, with range increments, proficiencies, non-touch attacks, masterwork, etc.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Arcane Weapons
Arcane Weapons are weapons designed for the use of various magic users of all types...and those who imitate them.

An individual is considered Proficient with an Arcane Weapon if one of the following applies:
  • Use Magic Device is a class skill.
  • You have one half or more ranks in Use Magic Device.
  • You can cast spells. (Despite the name, Arcane, Devine, and other types are acceptable. Psionics, Binding, Shadow Magic, Truenaming, and others are also acceptable for this requirement. Initiator levels are not applicable.)
  • You have proficience via the feat Arcane Weapon Proficiency.
  • You have proficiency of a simular weapon type. (This is individual to each Arcane Weapon. Not all Arcane Weapons have simular weapons through which to gain proficiency.)
Arcane Weapons may be forged with the use of the Craft Magic Arms And Armor or Craft Wonderous Item [Item Creation] feats. (Depending on the form, other [Item Creation] feats may be applicable. These are listed with each weapon.) Arcane Weapons can gain the Masterwork property. This does nothing.

The base damage of an Arcane Weapon does not change based on size. Arcane Weapons are (Ranged) Touch Attacks in most cases and have a bonus to damage equal to the user's Character Level. Arcane Weapons are also considered to be Magic Weapons under the rules for Magic Weapons in the Tome of Gears.

Weapons

Elemental Phaser (Hand Crossbow)
It's... a Phaser/Handgun hybrid... I think.
On activation, the Elemental Phaser deals 1d6+CL/19-20/x2 base damage. This damage is considered [fire], [cold], [acid], [electricity], or [force] damage. The type of damage the Elemental Phaser emits is determined in advance and cannot be change except by a Creft check sufficient to repair a damaged Elemental Phaser preformed by an individual with the appropriate feats to forge one.

Cost: 120gp
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Bigode wrote:But weirdly enough, RoW says there were going to be aristocrat and expert classes.
Maybe if we nag them about it enough, Frank will spit one out in an hour between classes or something.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

sigma999 wrote:
Bigode wrote:But weirdly enough, RoW says there were going to be aristocrat and expert classes.
Maybe if we nag them about it enough, Frank will spit one out in an hour between classes or something.
Entirely possible, but I have no personal interest in it - would much prefer critique on my shadowcaster initiate paths, for example.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I was wanting to mildly codify the use of the Tome Adept to have access to utility spells, since there's actual value in having someone who can cast remove curse without also being able to fight an elephant.

Ritual Spellcasting All adepts can cast actual spells if they have their spellbook on hand. They add to this spellbook like a wizard, including maximum spell level (a level 3 adept can learn/scribe level 2 spells), and the fact they can add spells from other spell-lists through this method. They have a single spell-slot available for cantrips, and can cast whatever spell they prepare in that slot an unlimited number of times per day. They do not gain any other spell slots. Instead, up to once(?) per day, they can cast a spell from their spellbook; with an additional 15 minutes added to the base cast time.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

That's some epic necro, brother.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Says the guy with a skeleton for his flair.

Related to this topic, how about skill ranks that allow you to cast a spell? Instead of adding a class feature like this, make it kick it in at Purifying Magic rank 8, so an Adept can put points into it and get it at level 5 (while they are CR 2.5)
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

NoDot wrote:"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Arcane Weapons
Arcane Weapons are weapons designed for the use of various magic users of all types...and those who imitate them.

An individual is considered Proficient with an Arcane Weapon if one of the following applies:
  • Use Magic Device is a class skill.
  • You have one half or more ranks in Use Magic Device.
  • You can cast spells. (Despite the name, Arcane, Devine, and other types are acceptable. Psionics, Binding, Shadow Magic, Truenaming, and others are also acceptable for this requirement. Initiator levels are not applicable.)
  • You have proficience via the feat Arcane Weapon Proficiency.
  • You have proficiency of a simular weapon type. (This is individual to each Arcane Weapon. Not all Arcane Weapons have simular weapons through which to gain proficiency.)
Arcane Weapons may be forged with the use of the Craft Magic Arms And Armor or Craft Wonderous Item [Item Creation] feats. (Depending on the form, other [Item Creation] feats may be applicable. These are listed with each weapon.) Arcane Weapons can gain the Masterwork property. This does nothing.

The base damage of an Arcane Weapon does not change based on size. Arcane Weapons are (Ranged) Touch Attacks in most cases and have a bonus to damage equal to the user's Character Level. Arcane Weapons are also considered to be Magic Weapons under the rules for Magic Weapons in the Tome of Gears.

Weapons

Elemental Phaser (Hand Crossbow)
It's... a Phaser/Handgun hybrid... I think.
On activation, the Elemental Phaser deals 1d6+CL/19-20/x2 base damage. This damage is considered [fire], [cold], [acid], [electricity], or [force] damage. The type of damage the Elemental Phaser emits is determined in advance and cannot be change except by a Creft check sufficient to repair a damaged Elemental Phaser preformed by an individual with the appropriate feats to forge one.

Cost: 120gp
Did... did I actually write all of this eight and a half years ago!?

I wonder how much I actually wrote out and how much was copy/paste.

Also, so many spelling errors!