The Weel Of Time: The Abridged Series

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

shirak
Knight

The Weel Of Time: The Abridged Series

Post by shirak »

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/sh ... p?t=386600

Some guy called ISAM did good work summarising the endless books. Pretty funny parodies of the characters I thought. Now I'm looking for equally funny summaries of other stuff. Like LotR or certain movies
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series on Youtube is hilarious.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A friend summed it up in highschool during a single evening of grade 12 English class.
I said "Oh" and promptly put any further interest in trying the series out of mind.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

I had been reading them a couple of years ago. But I gave up in the middle of Book 8. They just weren't fun, and while they had some interesting stuff, they were just...eh...
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Oh, and if it's LotR parodies you'd like, I think there's a site that still hosting the Very Secret Diaries. Actually, there's also DM of the Rings...

I haven't seen any summaries, though. Apart from a GIF that had Gandalf call in a favor with the eagles, hitch a ride to Mordor, fly over the volcano, and drop the Ring in.

Edit: I tell a lie. I remember a summary of Princess Mononoke.

http://www.smartania.com/index.php?Item ... &task=view

Thankfully, the title and the summary's catchphrase gave me a bonus to Google-fu.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The series ran out of steam around Book 8...but the latest book, 11 (second last) was absolutely amazing. It's like Robert Jordan remembered he was actually a good writer when he wrote the first bunch, and then doubled how good they were.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Jordan was still a good writer in books 8-11, it's just that he lost focus. A ridiculously large cast and a hundred-strong supporting cast, most of them unrelated and mainly there for flavor will do that. Seriously, this is the story of the Dragon Reborn, I don't care who Master Nory is and I really shouldn't have to read yet another description of how boring his descriptions are (I still think Jordan inserted a bit of self-parody there)
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

I think his wife's editing may have had a bad effect on the later books. I assume that's why he had to do fashion-show descriptions of what everybody was wearing in every single scene. The flood of minutiae culminated in Book 10, the Seinfeld of epic fantasies. Seriously, it's an epic fantasy about nothing in which nothing happens (at least until the end).
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:I think his wife's editing may have had a bad effect on the later books. I assume that's why he had to do fashion-show descriptions of what everybody was wearing in every single scene. The flood of minutiae culminated in Book 10, the Seinfeld of epic fantasies. Seriously, it's an epic fantasy about nothing in which nothing happens (at least until the end).
The Wheel of Time, to me, lacks a sense of direction. I mean, they're obviously moving to the start of a new age and the big showdown of Team Good versus Team Evil, but you don't feel like they're making any strides in that direction and not knowing where the hell this will end up isn't fun.

Er. I mean. Not knowing the endpoint of a story can be fun, because by the time you've gotten to the end, the beginning seems to be another world entirely.

But it seems to work best with starting off with small goals that are accomplished, and then the characters have to go onto something a bit bigger. That way there's an established path from Farm Lad at the beginning to Savior of the World and One of the Deadliest Fighters to Ever Live.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Yeah, it's hard to keep that sense of purpose when they've been saying the final battle could happen anytime now since Book 6. Jordan obviously got way too distracted by the trees to properly represent the forest at some point. The insidious thing is that the first few books were so good that he got everybody hooked.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

If it's any consolation, Knife of Dreams (the latest) was actually really good, he got totally back on focus.

Also they got some guy who was his protege or something to write the last book and it's coming out in 2009.