Cutting so fast you reach the gods

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Cutting so fast you reach the gods

Post by AndreiChekov »

So, I'm working on a class right now that cuts things so fast that they can split the atom, cast gate, teleport, fly and other such things because of how fast they can move their swords.

It is a prestige class, so are these abilities appropriate for their level (each one is at the minimum level possible)?

split the atom everyone within a mile dies, their bodies are disintegrated. You also die. requires a full-attack action. level 15

Cut to the gods As a full attack action, you can cast Gate 2/day. spell like ability, using strength for modifiers. 17th level

Also, is this ability too fiddly?
The Candles Remain (that is a Danny Kaye court jester reference) Any damage you deal is not dealt immediately. You build a counter of the damage and deal it with a swift action. So, you can attack for 21 damage, and make a note of it, and then attack again for 17 damage. The target takes no damage, but with a swift action, they can suddenly take 38 damage.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I wouldn't call it fiddly, but it could be worded better-

The Candles Remain (ex?) When you make a successful melee attack with a slashing weapon, you may choose to not deal the damage immediately, but instead make a note of it, creating a Cut Pool tied to that target which may be increased with further such attacks. At any point, you may, as a swift action, inflict an amount of damage equal to or less than the points in a cut pool to the linked target.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Prak wrote:I wouldn't call it fiddly, but it could be worded better-

The Candles Remain (ex?) When you make a successful melee attack with a slashing weapon, you may choose to not deal the damage immediately, but instead make a note of it, creating a Cut Pool tied to that target which may be increased with further such attacks. At any point, you may, as a swift action, inflict an amount of damage equal to or less than the points in a cut pool to the linked target.
Thank you. I've been working on this for about a week, and still haven't been able to come up with the right wording. Do you mind if I steal this?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Also, all of those abilities are meant to be (Ex). I forgot to mention that.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Go for it. I accept small shrines with weekly offerings of cigars and rum as payment.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Prak wrote:The Candles Remain (ex) When you make a successful melee attack with a slashing weapon, you may choose to not deal the damage immediately, but instead make a note of it, creating a Cut Pool tied to that target which may be increased with further such attacks. At any point, you may, as a swift action, inflict an amount of damage equal to or less than the points in a cut pool to the linked target.
You might want to add that the cut pool is reduced by the amount of damage you've dealt to the target. Right now there's a way to make the cut pool bigger, but no way to shrink it.

Also, is your body disintegrated when split the atom causes you to die? Or only everyone else within a mile?
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

does that mean that I give the rum to your shrine rather than to you? Because i would totally mail you a pack of cigars if you gave me your address. : P
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Typically offerings are made to the shrine, yes, though I would certainly accept mailed cigars too.

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Does splitting the atom have any effect on inanimate objects? As it is, it would vaporize everyone in a city while leaving it otherwise unharmed.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

If you don't care about the summoning aspect of the gate ability, I wrote an unlimited use feat style one a while back you're welcome to loot for wording or idea. Link.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

While The Court Jester is one of the greatest movies ever made and cutting something in half only to have it fall apart dramatically later on is wicked cool, the ability to delay damage in D&D is almost completely useless. Seriously, aside from reducing the effects of enemy Regeneration and DR, it doesn't really do anything at all. D&D already is a world where your attacks do "nothing" until people suffer critical existence failure later on.

-Username17
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Yeah, I don't know why you'd use the cut pool and not just deal the damage. More useful would be the ability to retroactively declare you had cut people and deal some amount of damage or do a Combat Maneuver (such as Disarm) as a Swift or Immediate Action.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, DR/Regen are the only reasons I could think of for using that ability. I'd probably only use it for full attacks and such if I didn't happen to have a puzzle monster's specific weakness.

That doesn't mean you couldn't make it useful, however. Off the top of my head, I could see using it to enforce the image of the swordsman making a flurry of attacks at hyperspeed which all take effect at once like you'd see in a game, and then allow the swordsman to do stuff with that pool, like destroy/remove an opponent's armour.

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Why would sundering armor require damage delay though? It's a cool visual, but I can't even think of this effect doing anything useful in any source material. It's just a matter of pacing the impact of an attack in a scene.

The only usefulness I can think of is increasing the delay so dramatically it's not a cut so sharp it takes a moment to register, but a curse that will cut upon command at a later date. We're in the realm of sword wizardry already anyway.
Last edited by schpeelah on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

Maybe instead, you can just ignore a certain amount of AC by going Blade Mode on stuff, letting you hit iron golems and the like, letting you Power Attack for more against stuff without that level of defense, and maybe another ability that lets you Zandatsu the vital organs out of puzzle monsters and closet trolls.

EDIT: or yeah, buying effects with the damage pool as per Prak's idea works
Last edited by Sakuya Izayoi on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's purely for the visual in peoples' minds and to build a pool of points from which the swordsman can pay for special effects. I'm talking about turning a flavourflul but useless power into the basis for the class' resource management system.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Depending on how long you can delay damage, you could use it for blackmail. You use it on someone and then you can kill them with a swift action if they don't do exactly as you say. That's rather useful if you can catch someone sleeping. And it isn't bad if you want an army of tiny people.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Instead of a cut pool delaying damage I can see it as dealing various save or suck status effects like holding them in place, making them drop what they're holding, blocking their ability to speak, etc.

Swinging tornadoes at people is also cool and can be a way to ground flying opponents, or create a tempest that prevents flying in the first place.

Sword surfing is also a cool way to fly around.

I'd look at the standard Cleric spell list as what powers are appropriate to have at what level, then apply them as sword skills.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Split the Atom You can be immune to both disintegration damage and death effects, because someone cast a couple spells on you first. Killing everyone within a mile is not D&D friendly at all.

I mean, Clone, just for instance, even if you make it a non-standard fuck-you death, or magic jar or being a Lich or all sorts. Because everything in a mile is a lot of things.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

TarkisFlux wrote:If you don't care about the summoning aspect of the gate ability, I wrote an unlimited use feat style one a while back you're welcome to loot for wording or idea. Link.
Will take a look, thanks.
prak wrote:It's purely for the visual in peoples' minds and to build a pool of points from which the swordsman can pay for special effects. I'm talking about turning a flavourflul but useless power into the basis for the class' resource management system.
I was planning of having the class use spell like effects and have abilities that cut really fast and stuff, but that resource actually makes it all more interesting.
hyzmarca wrote:Depending on how long you can delay damage, you could use it for blackmail.
Would you also like a shrine?
Orgreerrrbattle wrote:Swinging tornadoes at people is also cool and can be a way to ground flying opponents, or create a tempest that prevents flying in the first place.

Sword surfing is also a cool way to fly around.

I'd look at the standard Cleric spell list as what powers are appropriate to have at what level, then apply them as sword skills.
Um, I have other abilities that are like those. Planar travel, and teleporting by cutting portals open. flying by spinning your weapon above your head like a helicopter. cutting so fast that it makes sparks and adds electrical or fire damage to effects.

It is just that the Gate question, I've heard around here that it can be a bit ridiculous, and I've heard on other places that it should probably come at an even higher level.

with splitting the atom. I don't really have wording down for that yet. I'm sure there are all sorts of things that are wrong with it that I haven't thought of yet.

Basically, I want it to look like a giant bomb going off, but considereing the scale of D&D things, big isn't really all that big. So, I could make it smaller in area. I suppose I need something in their that the effect fails if you don't die?
It is sort of meant to be a sacrifice that requires a true resurrection or wish to come back from. (which isn't really much of a sacrifice.)
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You can pattern Splitting the Atom off of Exalted Fury from BoED. That's a 40' radius blast which deal damage equal to the caster's hp +50 to evil creatures and kills the caster (who can then be raised normally).

In other words, it's exactly what you're looking for, just Goodly. There's a reason the theoretical build in my head that uses it is called the Nuclear Paladin.

Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Someone remind me, is there "death by massive damage" in 3E? If so, the whole "Fist of the North Star" act with death by a thousand cuts counting as a single attack for the purposes of bypassing DR and Massive Damage would make it not-totally-worthless (as long as it's a low-level ability).
Last edited by Dogbert on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's a variant in the DMG, yeah. It's based on size, so a medium creature saves at 50 damage, a small 40, etc.

Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Make it a lvl 3 ability and I'm sold. That'd make it level-relevant.
Last edited by Dogbert on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Nobody uses the massive damage rules though. I have litterally never seen the massive damage rules used in any game ever.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.