Die Five Foot Squares, DIE

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

PhoneLobster wrote:
you can not have any positioning mor eprecise than the size of your squares, correct?
Not entirely correct.
Take for example LOS in standard d20.
LoS does in fact work with squares.

PhoneLobster wrote:Or objects/areas that take up partial squares.
Is there an actual DnD mechanic for this? If so they are probably utter bullshit (not that I ever used them). If an object is smaller than a square you can say it is in the square, but not where in the square it is. That is the whole point of squares after all.

PhoneLobster wrote:
That in turn means that you can not have any mechanics built upon positioning more precise than the precision of your squares.
Actually. You can. By using a mechanic that ignores the standard positioning.

Such as drawing LOS with a laser pointer or string across what is normally a formalized grid.
That is actually working with squares, not against them.

PhoneLobster wrote:But what do we have in reality that requires individual special case rules?
Terrain and Area Effects
AoOs and speed bump effects
Movement tumbling etc...
Grabbing and wrestling
LOS and Range
Terrain works just fine with squares. "This square is muddy." "That square is rocky". Done.

AoOs work fine with squares. "Anything in the squares next to you gets whacked if x/y happens". You need to define what an AoO is and then the squares handle the positioning for you.

Movement? I won't pretend squares don't produce weird effects, but they work with movement just fine without any special rules.

LoS: see above.

Range: works just fine with squares.

I have no clue what your beef with squares and grappling is, but it sure seems like your examples all work fine with squares.

PhoneLobster wrote:In a small square based system I have to write up a big fat pile of complex "exemption" (odd word choice) rules before there is actually ANY effect that creates a Guard type tactical option. And on top of that the complex hard to administer result is... inferior.
Actually squares come with a built-in "Guard type" option: Namely blocking the attacker's way. It does not work all that well, but the option is clearly there. Note that under your proposed big squares you have neither such a built-in option, nor have you so far bothered to define one.

PhoneLobster wrote:Body Guarding-
A character may (somehow, action cost to be determined) enter a state in which they can nominate an ally in the same zone and substitute themselves as a target when that ally is attacked. This may also (or instead) grant them an AoO of some form vs the attacker.
So you can bodyguard your wizard from any number of swords, arrows and spells at once? Wow. Does this stack with other "states"? Does it stack with, say "charging" or any sort of running up to an opponent and attacking him?

PhoneLobster wrote:Reach Weapons -
Can go away as far as I'm concerned. There are other ways we can differentiate a spear and a sword. But if you INSIST you can be a dick and give a first strike AoO bonus to reach weapons.
And at that point a pixie with a spear suddenly has just as much reach as a titan with a spear.

PhoneLobster wrote:Interposing -
? How about we call it preventing movement? Anyway. You can enter a state that prevents anyone from making a move OUT of the zone you are in as long as you are in that state. They can take try to take a special over run (bullrush?) type action to get past you anyway. AoOs may be added to taste.
Cool, I can stop 50 people from running past me in a big room. Does that stack with guarding my wizard from being attacked by said 50 people?

PhoneLobster wrote:Bullrushing -
Over running a guy standing in your way is covered under interposing. Pushing some chump into a chasm is a special attack action available in zones bordering on chasm zones, or containing chasm features. Moving someone into another zone is part of the grappling rules, which will probably look pretty familiar since that's all state based junk anyway.
PhoneLobster wrote:Now I want you to note a few things about these proposed generic mechanics.

They are really very simple, and very intuitive. We can look at these right now and have a pretty good idea how they would function in a fleshed out system.
I will grant you that. We can indeed see that they would work very badly if at all with a minimum of effort.

PhoneLobster wrote:They do things that in a square based system would require complex ranges and additional rules to deal with the complex positioning, if it were feasible at all.

I mean Bullrushing in a square system? Ick. Let alone the sad excuse that is "interposing" or guarding.
Actually they fail to reproduce things that already work in a square system or are much harder to write than similar rules for square systems.
Murtak
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

sigma999 wrote:But battlefield control depends on the battlefield. For warriors, you will always be on the defensive, reacting to the environment.
Spellcasters create terrain where there was none before; a proactive force.
Spellcasters vs Noncasters is totally separate from the system itself though.
Murtak
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

PhoneLobster wrote:
The problem is granularity - many people, including myself, enjoy the tactical granularity that squares bring.
That is positional granularity, not tactical granularity.

Your tactical options do not increase, only your positional ones.
But then, you cut things down to a binary choice - you have those abilties, or you don't. Whereas with the existing reach rules, there's a range of different guarding capabilities:
I think you may be a tad confused in your use of "binary choice" here. There is plenty of room in a state based guard mechanic for varying capabilities and additional options between characters.
[snip]
Look, you can certainly create any mechanic you conceive with either big or small squares. However, using your big squares you get stuck with guard mechanics relying on assumptions not covered by, to use your words, your positional granularity. That is bad mojo on such a low level I have difficulty even articulating it. And any rules you write will have to take not only your big squares into account but also all other rules that deal with positioning at a lower level than your base granularity. That is just bad system design.

Ideally you want one system layer that defines positioning. Everything about positioning is in that layer and nowhere else.

Then you built a layer for, say, attacking stuff with pointy sticks. Again, everything about this type of attacks is in here and nowhere else. And this layer references the positioning layer.

And on top of this layer you build the next layer - say attacks of opportunity. Again, you only need to reference a single layer of rules (namely melee attacks).

That is clean design. You have no rules in the same layer that reference each other and each layer references only the next lower level. That means you can easily change rules or add rules. Once you start piling on various states and rules that go "if you are not guarding or interposing you may do x" you will get unforeseen side effects and it willbe magnitudes harder to change anything.
Murtak
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Once you start piling on various states and rules that go "if you are not guarding or interposing you may do x" you will get unforeseen side effects and it willbe magnitudes harder to change anything.
I'm sorry but once again we meet the thing you apparently never comprehended last time.

You have created all those special case rules for specific options one by one in a SMALL square system, you pretended they were discrete simple layers (which is especially ludicrous), whatever. They are special rules covering specific actions, and they are often remarkably complex and unintuitive non transparent rules in grid based systems. They have to be, they have stupidly large numbers of positional possibilities to deal with.

Guess what, those rules will always exist. Creation of special case rules for action is an unavoidable by product of having a system where actions need to be defined by rules in order to exist.

But you then take the time to claim that using the same damn number of special cases/tactical options and a smaller number of areas to describe them in creates "magnitudes" more unforseen side effects that are harder or even impossible to change?

Can't you multiply numbers? Calculate permutations? having special case rules for all your tactical options that depend on positioning and paths that range over thousands of squares of area is massive in comparison. We are talking multiple degrees of ten.

I am flabbergasted that you should suggest that the simpler alternative with the smaller numbers is magically MORE likely to create unexpected results which are somehow magically harder to altered in beneficial ways than a system I would hesitate to unload onto the broad shoulders of an actual computer without some professional coding.

Go back, re-assess matters from scratch, you clearly have a fundamental misunderstanding with the very nature of complexity.

If you think that is somehow too harsh of me to say then answer this before you move on.

I have pointed out the vast numbers of operations in the potential execution of even a single turn that even small areas of grid can create. You claim similar, GREATER costs will arise from smaller numbers and create WORSE less correctable emergent behaviour.

How?

Explicitly how. What magical source of complexity have you found? And if it's the use of the magical word "state" I have news for you, that's a simplification and clarification of existing phenomena.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

You have shown absolutely nothing. You keep spouting the same nonsense, namely that by decreasing precision you will magically decrease complexity. This is utter bullshit.

As long as your rules deal with anything that is measured in feet you are best of measuring in feet to begin with. Instead you propose measuring in yards first and then handling anything that doesn't fit in inches retroactively. And this retroactive state of figuring things out is part of what I mean by special rules.

When you step up your square size from 5 feet to 50 feet you lose 10 foot radius fireballs, 10 foot radius threaten ranges and 30 foot movement ranges. That much should be absolutely obvious. And now you propose we go back and handle effects that do indeed depend on such smaller positioning with rules that can not rely on where people or objects actually are.

DnD has a lot of crappy rules but the basic square rules are not among them. And while the effects of these rules may be crappy the rules themselves are quite solid. Rules like "when you are behind a wall noone can have LoS to you" are simple and solid. Rules like "you can take cover anywhere, against everyone at once, no matter if there is anything to hide behind" are simple, but not solid.

And worse than that, all the DnD square rules are neatly ordered and reference the proper rules layer. When you charge someone do people you pass get AoOs?
- In DnD we know, because the charge rules and the AoO rules do not interact. They both reference the basic square rules.
- Under your big squares we need to explicitely define whether any AoOs are provoked. And worse, we need to do so for every possible combination of actions. This quickly becomes impossible.

When you increase your square size you just have to accept that some things get impossible. Attempting to retroactively bolt them on leads to an unmaintainable nightmare of rules cross-referencing one another. What you are proposing is in the unconsolidating every action depending on movement less than (insert your square size here). And unless you do not care at all about movement less than (insert your square size here) that is a bad idea.

By the way, you still haven't old us how big you propose your squares to be. Typing "insert your square size here" gets tiring after a while.
Murtak
spasheridan
Apprentice

Post by spasheridan »

I've tried to follow the reasoning behind the zone system vs the grid system and I'm not sure I understand it. I gather that the zone system:

1) Has fewer boxes in it (more simple)
2) Abstracts Positioning for speed
3) If you change the rules you can do stuff with it that you can do with grids
4) If you change the rules it appeals to your sense of elegance (AoO's vs 'guarding' seems to be your main example)

I think it breaks down at
1) Abstracted positioning makes area effect powers weird (how many people in the zone are hit by this color spray / sleep / dragons breath)
2) Disputes about positioning can arise (I was around the corner from the door when the trap went off!)
3) Requires changing rules (and lots of them!) - at least if you want to play DnD

In all the wargames / DnD that I play tactical movement is great. With correct positioning you can threaten from positions of safety, it adds a depth to games that you don't find in say Risk.

I think the main reason you like it is #4 - you object to a certain mechanic in the game and this system helps you change it. Seriously, you seem quite smart so counting 100's of empty squares shouldn't be a problem. Help me see what mechanics are causing the problem that you think needs to be fixed with this zone system.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

When you step up your square size from 5 feet to 50 feet you lose 10 foot radius fireballs, 10 foot radius threaten ranges and 30 foot movement ranges. That much should be absolutely obvious. And now you propose we go back and handle effects that do indeed depend on such smaller positioning with rules that can not rely on where people or objects actually are.
Damnit Murtak I have explicitly been over this shit with you before.

You refused to listen then and I have my doubts now.

Regardless. No I sure as hell don't intend to write such rules.

The whole damn point is you cease to adjudicate such needless positioning reliant mechanics. With position being determined only down to the granularity of a large and abstracted zone you don't need to differentiate between whirlwind and burning hands.

And that is a fundamentally good thing.

You are making the entirely false claim that creating a complex structure which creates emergent tactical options is the simplest way of writing those tactical options into a game. That is bald faced stupid.

Precisely how many separate rules do you need to create and apply before the emergent tactical option of being a speed bump is created?
In DnD we know, because the charge rules and the AoO rules do not interact.
Your definition of not interact is remarkably revolutionary. Explain it or I will be unable to hold a meaningful discussion with you.
By the way, you still haven't old us how big you propose your squares to be.
I have explicitly advocated an abstracted zone size. Repeatedly. To you. But apparently you speak a different language where "do not interact" actually means "directly interact" so maybe you missed that.
Seriously, you seem quite smart so counting 100's of empty squares shouldn't be a problem. Help me see what mechanics are causing the problem that you think needs to be fixed with this zone system.
I outlined this generally already but I'll try to explain a specific example to outline the needlessly massive overhead.

Imagine that the goal today is to represent a combat in a moderate to small room. Maybe 40 feet by 40 feet in size.

It is a first level D&D type party vs some wimpy little goblin type things. There are four adventurers with various powers and 4 goblins with limited abilities if any.

It is desirable to represent a number of options.
- Attacking things within the room in melee by moving (or not) and stabbing.
- Attacking things within the room by moving (or not) and using ranged attacks
- Using an area of effect spell that targets some or all of the targets in the the room
- Using an ongoing area of effect spell that effects some or all of the targets in the small room.
- Preventing some or all of those attacks on a ally you wish to protect by interposing yourself (and possibly other allies) as a barrier that is either impassable or gains free strikes, or both.
- Protecting yourself from ranged attacks (but potentially becoming vulnerable to melee) by hiding behind stuff, or allies, or your shield, or lying down.

So under a zone system as I propose it the room is a single zone. It is abstracted and represents the standard shortest range and smallest area that the rules refer to, and that is the only specific definition of its size/area.

Characters who are in the zone are somewhere, and potentially everywhere, within the zone. You are effectively considered to be dynamically moving about fighting and dodging etc... in the entire area. You do NOT get to say "I was behind the door" unless that is for whatever reason outlined as a specific separate zone, if a zone contains the bit behind the door and you are there you also count as in the rest of the zone.

All those tactical options are represented within the context of the single zone range/area and as states.
- Melee attacks are made against targets sharing your zone. You do not care if you move or not, the system already considers you and your target to be moving about fighting each other over a dynamic area represented by the single zone you are in. Dead easy to represent.
- Ranged attacks (especially in this context) are basically the same.
- Area effect attacks are easy. All targets or some set number of targets in the same zone, it works intuitively as the targets and yourself are all of unfixed position anyway. Its easy to administer and easier to write and balance.
- Ongoing area effects can be basically the same but repeated as a regular action to apply their effect each turn of their duration.
- Guarding an ally is a state you can enter preventing targeting of the ally or gaining free strikes on those who do (or both).
- Taking cover is a state you can enter that grants bonuses to some attacks and penalties vs others. Complex grid or non grid based relative positioning is not required.

Now. Consider the ease of administration there. All the tactical options are represented clearly and concisely and in a manner that is easy and quick to use.

Lets consider a small square system, one that looks a lot like d20.

The room is broken up into 8x8 squares. That is 64 separate zones with between 3 and 8 adjacent zones each.

To represent cover some of those zones may contain small obstacles of some form which either entirely fill squares, or partially fill them. They may entirely block movement or inhibit certain kinds of movement, or require checks to move through.

Cover is STILL a state you enter. But instead of doing so by a fixed action/opportunity cost written up as a hard rule the action cost is a complex emergent trait determined by relative positioning.

So taking cover MIGHT cost you your entire action as in order to move to the appropriate location you do not get to otherwise act. It MIGHT not cost you anything as moving to the appropriate location happens to in no way inhibit your best action/attack. It may involve the exceedingly complex costs of movement in this system which I will mention in a moment.

And after all that you will only be in cover vs some unknown portion pf potential actions of some of unknown portion of your potential attackers.

To represent guarding your buddies the system applies a number of complex rules in order to create the emergent trait that getting near enough to attack that guy is hard.

For a start characters become impassable, or at least difficult to pass square filling obstacles.

Secondly characters "threaten" up to eight squares of grid each with free attacks against characters attempting a move and attack action. More with various weapons and powers, at first level in d20 threatening up to 24 squares is not at all hard.

The rules governing when and how often those threat areas trigger free strikes are really rather complex and determined by exact paths, lengths of paths, the order of resolution of actions and a complex interaction of several skills and abilities (even at first level).

The general upshot is that you can enter a state at an action cost just as unpredictable as taking cover, with results as unpredictable as taking cover which HOPEFULLY means attackers will have to target you and risk free strikes to perform a specific action (but might not).

Area attacks effect... an unknown number of targets. A "simple" short 3 square range cone will cover something like 7 or so squares and have strange diagonal alignments. The number of permutations of postioning plus template placement even in the 5*5 room are mind bogglingly large and beyond my interest to specifically calculate. Though I encourage anyone who is claiming empty squares are easy to adjudicate to actually calculate it. The attack is significantly harder to balance as at the design stage we at absolute best have only an estimate of the average number of targets that will be effected.

Ongoing area effects are a real bitch. They will typically check not as a regular single event each turn but as a potential event every time a character moves into a new square. Every square you move into, check for ongoing area effects. Resolve every applicable area effect. Move to next square, repeat.

And all this adds up to a real bitch for one of the simplest actions you require the system to adjudicate. The move and attack.

And its the move part which hurts. So.

In the described scenario we have two teams of characters that each occupy and blockade about 4 squares, we have maybe 4.5 squares and partial squares of obstacles and terrain, and about 51.5 "empty" squares. The number of permutations of their arrangement within the 64 potential squares is pretty damn huge.

And each time a character takes an up 6 square move they have an also rather huge number of potential paths and destinations to resolve. We are basically talking about potentially arriving in any square in the room with a number of potential paths massively exceeding the 64 destinations.

But those empty squares are not entirely empty. The two teams EACH threaten something like 32 to 64 squares for AoOs, which may or may not over lap in an well nigh incalculable multitude of permutations. They also have the potential to move and attack, or move and area attack an even larger incalculably huge number of permutations of potential squares.

And whenever they move in one of the very large permutations of just a regular six square move they must during the execution of the move check each individual square for at least four separate sets of AoO threat ranges of up to 24 squares each, an unknown but massive number of squares that might contain ongoing area effects of unknown numbers of squares in size and shape, complex relative lines of sight, and consider the ludicrous potential ranges of the potential counter actions by opponents.

And to determine their move, or tactical option for the turn and its effects they need to not merely resolve all that for each square of the move that they actual execute but at the very least consider the likely resolution of all of that for each of the numerous potential paths they might take in a turn.

And to balance its design we need to at the very least in some way try to consider all of that for all the potential permutations of all the moves in all the situations the games mechanics might create.

And there are a lot more complex situations than four first level guys and less than half a dozen goblins in a small room with a tiny smattering of furniture.

I'm not saying the numbers make that stuff impossible to calculate at the design, decision and execution levels. You can even introduce averages and guesstimates and snake oil to try and make it easier. But I AM saying the complexity required to consider each of those with any real accuracy is way more than I am prepared to put my hand up for.

But if Murtak feels inclined to simply throw up a guesstimate for the number of potential variations when targeting a burning hands spell over all possible permutations of positioning of four potential one square targets for all variations of a single starting square of origin for a burning hands attacker in a 8x8 square room.

We'll that would be a minuscule start to claiming that designing or using area effects is easy in such a system.

Of course it would really help if he does it in a manner that can be partially reproduced by players attempting to use that in realistic game play time at the table when face with one of those permutations...
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

PhoneLobster wrote:Characters who are in the zone are somewhere, and potentially everywhere, within the zone. You are effectively considered to be dynamically moving about fighting and dodging etc... in the entire area. You do NOT get to say "I was behind the door" unless that is for whatever reason outlined as a specific separate zone, if a zone contains the bit behind the door and you are there you also count as in the rest of the zone.
This does raise the specter of people arguing about how the zones are divvied up.

It could also be a problem if the number of zones is set incorrectly. Too many would really bone melee characters and aoe users for example.
All those tactical options are represented within the context of the single zone range/area and as states.
- Melee attacks are made against targets sharing your zone. You do not care if you move or not, the system already considers you and your target to be moving about fighting each other over a dynamic area represented by the single zone you are in. Dead easy to represent.
- Ranged attacks (especially in this context) are basically the same.
- Area effect attacks are easy. All targets or some set number of targets in the same zone, it works intuitively as the targets and yourself are all of unfixed position anyway. Its easy to administer and easier to write and balance.
- Ongoing area effects can be basically the same but repeated as a regular action to apply their effect each turn of their duration.
- Guarding an ally is a state you can enter preventing targeting of the ally or gaining free strikes on those who do (or both).
- Taking cover is a state you can enter that grants bonuses to some attacks and penalties vs others. Complex grid or non grid based relative positioning is not required.
All good so far. Having melee combatants do something other than stand still and wail on each other is a plus.

What happens with things like wall spells that effectively create zones though?
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Under your proposed rules, what about the following:

We have a room, some furniture in it, some good guys (fighter, wizard, rogue) and some bad guys (archer, barbarian, knight).

- Can the fighter take cover from the archer's arrows?
- Can the fighter take cover from the barbarian's axe?

Presumably the fighter can interpose himself between the wizard and the barbarian.
- Can he also take cover from the archer at the same time?
- Could he interpose himself between the wizard and both the barbarian and the knight?
Murtak
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

This does raise the specter of people arguing about how the zones are divvied up.

It could also be a problem if the number of zones is set incorrectly. Too many would really bone melee characters and aoe users for example.
Well the idea though is that the effects of zone division and adjacency, decided by the GM on map layout, are intended to be highly transparent manipulations of potential tactics.

A corridor or bridge in a small square system may or may not be a choke point for various characters.

If you make it one zone wide it is automatically a choke point.

If you make it two wide it is significantly less like a choke point, and observably so.

Similarly large numbers of zones between melee attackers and ranged attackers bones the melee attackers. Explicitly and openly. (mind you, same goes to a slightly less transparent but more complex degree for vast distances in small squares).

But with abstract zones you can just describe a long distance between the melee and ranged attackers as a single zone regardless of real world measurements, because you do not desire to bone melee characters in that instance of combat And it will be clear what the effect of doing that is to anyone that looks at the zone map you create.
All good so far. Having melee combatants do something other than stand still and wail on each other is a plus.
I regard it as a very minor, but personal favourite plus that it describes that sort of thing in a way that gives an illusion of dynamism.
What happens with things like wall spells that effectively create zones though?
The original concept was as follows.

A character creates a wall this will be a new (possibly impassable or moderately impassable) division between two new zones replacing the old one and (between the two of them) containing all its former contents.

He nominates which side of the wall any immobile contents of the zone fall, like disabled characters, adjacencies to other zones, and the odd piece of furniture we for some weird reason give a damn about, etc...

He also nominates which side of the wall characters slower than himself in the initiative order fall.

Then characters faster than himself in the initiative order decide for themselves which side they end up on.

Seemed like a pretty reasonable way to handle it. It effectively handles the potential tactical options you might desire from such an effect in a dynamic yet simple way.
spasheridan
Apprentice

Post by spasheridan »

I really don't think that it is necessary to calculate all of the possible relative positions of each character in a 40x40 room to determine balance of the existing grid structure. Just like it isn't necessary to calculate all of the possible positions of the pieces on a chess board to determine the balance of chess.

Under the current rules there are positional choices that have massive impacts on the game, a gross example being - does the wizard stand next to the giant or not. There are tons of tactical movement options in the game - flanking (sneak attacks), Skirmish, cover for hiding, fast vs slow movement, flying, incorporeal movement, teleport spells, teleport items, 5' moves, runs, charges, simple move actions..

I feel that your zone system abstracts away OPTIONS for simplicities sake- but then you need to add complexity back in to overcome the lack of some of the options. And edit the spells / powers / items in every book that ever came out so they interact with your zone system. For a fast paced game with less granularity than DnD this might be a nice way to play, but I can't imagine a tactical game that would abstract away movement and still be a tactical game - so this system is probably better for board games with army stacks moving around a map - say games like Talisman or Risk.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Say you're defending a rope bridge floored with planks, hanging over a chasm. Some guy gets the smart idea of climbing along the underside of the bridge, and attempts to go beneath you. The gaps in the planks are fairly large.

Are the top and the bottom of the bridge one zone? If so, hanging underneath the bridge either provides no cover and no concealment, or any two individuals on top of the bridge have cover and concealment from each other.

Are the top and the bottom of the bridge different zones? If so, is it still possible for you to poke the rogue through the slats, or do you have to climb down to the underside of the bridge before hand? In other words, how do inter-zone attacks work? Is there always some defined border effect?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Just like it isn't necessary to calculate all of the possible positions of the pieces on a chess board to determine the balance of chess.
It isn't?

Not even at least a bit?

That's rather odd.

Are the top and the bottom of the bridge one zone? If so, hanging underneath the bridge either provides no cover and no concealment, or any two individuals on top of the bridge have cover and concealment from each other.
Reword the question with squares instead of zones. Add in additional questions about threat ranges and character occupied squares blocking movement.

You have asked a very complex question to which a small grid system does not necessarily hold a better answer.

Now as to the answer. You pretty much have it in your supplementary questions.

Either A) Under the bridge is a new zone, with an increased fall off hazard and a climbing movement requirement to enter. It is adjacent to the upper zone but not the same therefore no close range attacks are allowed between the two. But that's OK because by deciding to go with the two zone option you are explicitly and transparently making the choice.

B) Its the same zone, being under the bridge is basically flavour of having climbing movement or making close calls on the falling through gaps zone hazard. Effectively due to the nature of the bridge EVERYONE fighting at close range is in a dynamic state of being on the bridge and hanging by their teeth kicking each other, the guy with spider climb can say he spends his whole time underneath and no one cares. You have explicitly and transparently made this choice by defining it all as one zone, which again makes it OK.

Now how well will a small grid based system handle this?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

PhoneLobster wrote:Now how well will a small grid based system handle this?
The bridge is approximately as wide as it is (probably 5' wide). The 5' squares system explicitly leaves dealing with altitude open. Probably you just generate another set of 5' wide squares beneath and adjacent to the first, requiring climbing movement. The bridge itself would provide some degree (1/2? 2/3? 3/4?) of cover between the two areas, making normal attacks more difficult.

Reach and threatened area isn't really an issue unless you place the bottom of the bridge significantly below the top (perhaps this is a failing of how D&D handles reach). You still have to deal with it if you're trying to get past a guy with a spear, but that's normal.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

It seems to me that the big squares were a great idea when extrapolating weird edges and larger distances...

...But when it comes down to replacing steps in combat, I'm not sure it's useful. What I'm missing here is why we need to remove the little squares with bigger squares when the figures are standing next to each other.

-Crissa
spasheridan
Apprentice

Post by spasheridan »

Just like it isn't necessary to calculate all of the possible positions of the pieces on a chess board to determine the balance of chess.

It isn't?

Not even at least a bit?

That's rather odd.
You don't need to calculate ALL of the positions - and some positions are impossible (can a white pawn be in the 1st row of white? - can a white square bishop be in a black square?). You can, if you want, calculate all of the MOVES - which is an immensely smaller set than all positions. But even that isn't required because you only want to consider good moves...

SO - yes you need to consider many possible positions, just not all. My point is that in many situations there is little difference between squares - each model has a large area it can move to (threaten) so you can divvy up space in terms of threatened, edge of threatened, and out of threat range (at a very basic level). With dungeon like terrain (corridors) bottlenecks quite easily divide space into safe and threatened. In an open plain one square far away from a model is very similar to any other square far away from a model. In fact, it seems that the major factor in considering a square are the models that can interact with it - so the major defining feature of a zone is not the terrain in it but who is threatening the zone... so they're very dynamic zones.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

PhoneLobster wrote:

Well the idea though is that the effects of zone division and adjacency, decided by the GM on map layout, are intended to be highly transparent manipulations of potential tactics.

A corridor or bridge in a small square system may or may not be a choke point for various characters.

If you make it one zone wide it is automatically a choke point.

If you make it two wide it is significantly less like a choke point, and observably so.

Similarly large numbers of zones between melee attackers and ranged attackers bones the melee attackers. Explicitly and openly. (mind you, same goes to a slightly less transparent but more complex degree for vast distances in small squares).

But with abstract zones you can just describe a long distance between the melee and ranged attackers as a single zone regardless of real world measurements, because you do not desire to bone melee characters in that instance of combat And it will be clear what the effect of doing that is to anyone that looks at the zone map you create.
So basically your zone system makes the laws of geometry in the game world subject to the GM's whims? There are two big problems with this:

1. It really stretches any pretense of verisimilitude in the game.

2. It makes it hard to make tactical decisions during character creation, since the GM's manipulation of zones can wildly affect the effectiveness of your favorite weapon or style of combat.

Given #2, it's no shock that you encounter a lot of resistance to this idea on a board dominated by players of D&D and other games that use tactical combat maps. As others have pointed out, this is a lousy system for a tactics-oriented game. It might make a decent system for a more story-oriented RPG where the need for a dramatic plotline is paramount. Even then, you'd probably need tons of guidelines on how to divide zones so that your players don't say "WTF?" and get up and leave.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Actually, the 5' squares also says they're 5' tall as well - which is why some tall critters or long critters don't get the bonuses they otherwise would.

And 5' squares don't say cover or not, they have some rules of thumb; the planks would give cover as they block some amount of vision, but not total cover as a line can be drawn thru the cracks to a corner.

But how does the vague zones help?

So far they're removed reach, AoO, and... I dunno. Your method seems no different than just not using a map.

-Crissa
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Crissa wrote:But how does the vague zones help?

So far they're removed reach, AoO, and... I dunno. Your method seems no different than just not using a map.
Actually they do one thing quite well, namely fireballing or whirlwinding the crap out of people without having to do any calculations at all. Seriously, I adore that part. You can just say "I fireball the room" and that is a good thing in my book.

Of course that is the single part PhoneLobster doesn't like about his big squares ....
Murtak
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Of course that is the single part PhoneLobster doesn't like about his big squares ...
I'm not OVERLY adverse to an all targets in a zone effect. I've certainly used them in my games.

I'm just uncertain that its a wise effect to introduce.
So far they're removed reach, AoO...
Actually they can emulate both, and most of the other tactical options you care to name very nicely if you want them to (though I personally despise reach so I choose not to emulate that one in my own material).

And I've gone over it already in this thread.

What they don't do is emulate those things in precisely the same way.

And they don't let you emulate them five feet to the left or right.

And they don't let you emulate them with as much room for the unexpected complexities of relative positioning to completely deny the application of a tactic that took massive investment of character build, player time and game design to create in the first place.

If I sit down and design a guard mechanic, I want it to be used and I only want it to be negated my mechanics that say "This negates the guard mechanic" I don't want it to be negated because some guy stood one square too far to the left.

The "choice" of executing the same tactical option in minute positional variations until you find one that either fails or is above your level in effectiveness is the ONLY point of "tactical detail" I am going to concede, and gleefully concede, is removed.

Fact is its one of the major pluses from my perspective. Errors in positioning causing failed plays of tactics are great in wargames and board games. They have no part in RPGs, having your shtick being foiled by being in a room that was too big or because your buddy Bob the human target refuses to stay within 2 squares of you at all times during HIS turn or because neon-flavoured-kobolds or whatever get +10 base move, is... lame.

And its hard enough to balance shtick negation at the desired rate for abilities that are only negated by "this negates shtick type Z" powers. Trying to achieve the same with an emergent mechanic is a nightmare.
2. It makes it hard to make tactical decisions during character creation, since the GM's manipulation of zones can wildly affect the effectiveness of your favorite weapon or style of combat.

Given #2, it's no shock that you encounter a lot of resistance to this idea on a board dominated by players of D&D and other games that use tactical combat maps.
This is absolutely fantastic. It seems like you are implying the DIRECT opposite of a common critique I seem to have levelled at me.

Usually it is all like "You distrust GMs too much, you should put power into their hands without such reservations".

The idea here is simple if perhaps just a tiny bit naive in this regard. The zone mechanic's effects on combat are intended to be SO transparent that it is absolutely clear as to their effects on tactics.

This means the GM has a lot of power in defining the tactical possibilities when drawing a map.

But there are two factors which balance that.

1) Assuming he isn't a bastard (yeah I know) that is a significant power he can use for good instead of evil. If a player has invested in being a speed bump the GM can easily throw choke points at him and damn well know they will work. As opposed to a more complex system where they might not.

2) It is transparent to everybody. If the GM is screwing your melee character he has no excuse that the "great fiendish open arena of horse archers" actually just IS 1000 feet wide, under an abstracted zone system he is responsible for the decision to make it into one zone or one thousand regardless of its size in fluff terms and if it (transparently) is screwing you then you can take him to task directly.

Abstraction is a tool that among other things removes power from players bogging the game down in destructive senseless "realism" or fluff based arguments. But it also hurts GMs trying the same stupid arguments.

Transparency may be a tool to help you easily understand how to screw players but it is also a tool to help you to understand how not to screw them, and for them to understand if they are being screwed.

As to the "but these guys like wargames" aspect of your critique. I don't give a damn. If someone cannot recognize that the tactical demands of RPG mechanics are significantly different in nature to those of a wargame then they have no place trying to design them.

Indeed I strongly suspect that such an individual should just travel back in time to the 1970's or something.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

While a reasonable DM isn't going to use this to screw over players, it still makes it hard to create any sort of plans.

Let's say you're a ranged/magic party fighting Trolls. You're not going to want to get close to them, or they'll tear you up. So how big an area do you need to avoid them? With absolute positioning (squares, for instance), you can figure this out, and then start looking for a way to lure them to an appropriate location. Or if you've got, say, one party member who can stand in melee with them, you can determine how narrow a chokepoint is necessary to keep the rest safe, and look for that kind of location. With zones, you have no fvcking idea how big an area you need, or whether a given area will work until battle starts. Maybe you thought the hills were tall enough, but the DM decided that the hillside was all one big zone, and now you have Trolls eating your arms.

It's not just for melee monsters either. If you're facing a fast-moving band of mounted bandit archers, what kind of terrain would you need to trap them? With squares, that question can be answered before the battle starts. With zones, it's a crapshoot.

And for that matter, it applies reactively too. When surprised by an unexpected dragon, how many rounds will reaching a given escape route take? Exactly how dangerous is trying to run past the dragon and reach a tunnel you entered by? Is it possible to spread out of breath weapon range without leaving someone stranded behind? These are all questions that you want to be able to answer unequivocally.

And on "shticks" (sorry for the digression):
Something I disagree with is that having a shtick negated is always bad. 4E makes this mistake too - it focuses too much on making sure everyone gets to do their prefered tactics, and forgets that there are two sides to the coin:
Having your shtick negated isn't fun. But negating someone else's shtick, that's lots of fun.

For instance, take a giant. His "shtick" is to have large reach, pound you for tons of damage, and possibly grab and hold you. If you're a frail Wizard, and you let him do his shtick, you will be dead. So you block it - you put up walls, you hide in fog, you cast spells from long distance. Overall, you shamelessly prevent the giant from performing his combat role, and that's where the fun is, that's tactics.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Actually, having your shtick disrupted can be fun too if you have reasonable backups.

I had a monk player who liked to fight with a quarterstaff, but I made sure to disarm him occasionally so he could make unarmed strikes.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

it still makes it hard to create any sort of plans.
So... decreased transparency makes it EASIER to make plans?
you can determine how narrow a chokepoint is necessary to keep the rest safe, and look for that kind of location. With zones, you have no fvcking idea how big an area you need
Purely false dichotomy there.

The GM is under no different an obligation to describe mapping before combat or allow you to try and find desirable known in advance mapping in the square system than he is in the zone system.

He is just as capable of not creating a choke point, or not describing it in detail in a small squares system as he is in a zone system.

He is just as capable of creating a choke point and describing it in detail before the combat in a zone system.

Or what, is there something about the word zone that makes it impossible for a GM to pronounce an answer to the question "How many zones wide is that narrow passage we passed five minutes back" unless the characters are already in combat in that area?
If you're facing a fast-moving band of mounted bandit archers, what kind of terrain would you need to trap them? With squares, that question can be answered before the battle starts. With zones, it's a crapshoot.
That is just plain ludicrous.

Once again... the less transparent system is magically more predictable before and during combat.

You are really attributing magical qualities to a simple grid that frankly do not exist.
[blahblah, dragon, blahblah]... These are all questions that you want to be able to answer unequivocally.
Again you magically attribute the GMs ability to answer simple questions to a grid and mysteriously silence the GM working with zones.

A GM can just as easily tell you (or give you the information you need to tell yourself) how many rounds you need to outrun the dragon, how many zones you need to scatter over to reduce or deny its area effect, etc...

And the numbers you have to count and calculate to do so are smaller by multiple degrees of ten.

At which point one wonders if you really are arguing for the right options considering your priorities about transparency in tactical planning.
Something I disagree with is that having a shtick negated is always bad.
I'm going to highlight this now to nip this in the bud. That is entirely irrelevant to my statements about grid systems and high granularity positional decision making negating shticks.

The point is having your shtick negated BY ACCIDENT is a bad thing.

So having it negated because you or the GM made a single partial mistake by a tiny degree in a massively complex highly granular positioning system...

In a wargame that is fairly cool, in an RPG it is pure fucking failure.

You NEED to be able to say "I move to the top of the stairs and shoot that guy with my bow".

You definitely do not ever want the situation to be "I move to (104,83) and shoot the guy at (29, 83) with my bow"

You REALLY do not want to have the second option there recieve the answer "You fail because your bow has range 74, you should have moved to (103,83) instead. Sucker."

Now admittedly I'm being a little hypocritical with this example, just like you I have attributed the GM with the inability to tell the player in advance if he is in range or not.

But if you are providing that information, you are actually eliminating the tactical choice of going to (104,83) and failing. And if you are doing that, why does (104,83) exist? If your options are laid out before you in transparent detail to the point of being reduced to "Will you move into range and shoot or not?" why not use the system that checks that with faster more transparent zones? Where the decision and execution of the options does not require calculation of such large numbers of redundant non options?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

PL, if you can't just patiently explain and then lecture, no one is going to listen to you patiently explain after being yelled at. For one, they don't know where in your post you move from lecturing to explaining, and so...

Just sharing a lesson I've recently learned, and all.

-Crissa
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

PL wrote:This is absolutely fantastic. It seems like you are implying the DIRECT opposite of a common critique I seem to have levelled at me.

Usually it is all like "You distrust GMs too much, you should put power into their hands without such reservations".

The idea here is simple if perhaps just a tiny bit naive in this regard. The zone mechanic's effects on combat are intended to be SO transparent that it is absolutely clear as to their effects on tactics.

This means the GM has a lot of power in defining the tactical possibilities when drawing a map.

But there are two factors which balance that.

1) Assuming he isn't a bastard (yeah I know) that is a significant power he can use for good instead of evil. If a player has invested in being a speed bump the GM can easily throw choke points at him and damn well know they will work. As opposed to a more complex system where they might not.

2) It is transparent to everybody. If the GM is screwing your melee character he has no excuse that the "great fiendish open arena of horse archers" actually just IS 1000 feet wide, under an abstracted zone system he is responsible for the decision to make it into one zone or one thousand regardless of its size in fluff terms and if it (transparently) is screwing you then you can take him to task directly.

Abstraction is a tool that among other things removes power from players bogging the game down in destructive senseless "realism" or fluff based arguments. But it also hurts GMs trying the same stupid arguments.

Transparency may be a tool to help you easily understand how to screw players but it is also a tool to help you to understand how not to screw them, and for them to understand if they are being screwed.

As to the "but these guys like wargames" aspect of your critique. I don't give a damn. If someone cannot recognize that the tactical demands of RPG mechanics are significantly different in nature to those of a wargame then they have no place trying to design them.

Indeed I strongly suspect that such an individual should just travel back in time to the 1970's or something.
Well, the part about why you're encountering so much resistance here was just an observation about the audience, not a critique of the system per se. There's probably an audience that's more receptive to this kind of system; they probably just play RPGs other than D&D.

Even in a very story-oriented game, somebody might notice that the range of their bow varies from, say, 100-1000 ft. from battle to battle depending on how the GM has drawn up the zones. Or the melee guy might notice that he can move anywhere from 40-1000 ft. in a round depending on whether he's in a small room or a huge arena that the GM has defined as one zone for whatever reason. Sure, it's a bad idea to try to simulate reality too much in an RPG, but there are going to be limits to the suspension of disbelief.

This also ties into the debate about planning. Sure, you could ask the GM about the layout of zones on the map, but it kind of sounds like an Order of the Stick moment to me: "Let's go scout out the terrain and see how many zones God has arbitrarily divided this battlefield into."