Pondering...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

cthulhu
Duke

Re: Pondering...

Post by cthulhu »

There are some studies that support that, but the balance of studies if overwhelmingly that costs are lower for non smokers.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... r][br]goes over it the articles and studies in some detail!
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1202012988[/unixtime]]Is there ever a case of someone dying, or even being affected by peanuts on an airplane? Probably not.

I've had a mild allergy to peanuts all my life. I can say that from personal experience having the peanut dust or even odor in the plane given the non standard gravitational environment put exceptional strain to keep me from tossing cookies. I used to sit like a baby bird with my mouth pointed towards the air vent going on at full blast during takeoffs.

And that is a mild case. Peanut allergies can cause the constriction of the throat so they can in fact be easily life threatening. There are people with severe allergies to peanuts out there, and the ability for this allergy to travel airborne makes it even more deadly.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1201916960[/unixtime]]I tried to get a clear answer from support on that point, but it never was well explained.

:rolleyes:

And this surprises you?
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

crissa wrote: In most states, for instance, driving under the influence requires the police to determine what the driver had in their system at the time - not merely driving while otherwise unsafe to do so. Does that make any sense?

So, in most states, if I’m so hopped up on caffeine that I’m swerving all over the road and generally a hazard, the cops will stop me, find caffeine but no alcohol and book me for reckless driving rather than DUI? Stupid.

koumei wrote: "Wow, you're right. On further research, hemp really IS useful!"

-I also heard hemp makes great shampoo.
- It does? No way! I gotta check out this brochure! (*pulls out burger, takes a bite.*)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

ckafrica at [unixtime wrote:1202121499[/unixtime]]I have heard it said that a smoker will likely cost a health system less in the long run because they tend to die earlier and more rapidly rather than withering a way slowly over the course of years if not decades. Not sure if it's true though

Seems plausible. I think like that too. In fact, I'd encourage that trend if not for the risk of poisoning newer generations with second hand smoke.

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1202134028[/unixtime]]
Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1202012988[/unixtime]]Is there ever a case of someone dying, or even being affected by peanuts on an airplane? Probably not.

I've had a mild allergy to peanuts all my life. I can say that from personal experience having the peanut dust or even odor in the plane given the non standard gravitational environment put exceptional strain to keep me from tossing cookies. I used to sit like a baby bird with my mouth pointed towards the air vent going on at full blast during takeoffs.

And that is a mild case. Peanut allergies can cause the constriction of the throat so they can in fact be easily life threatening. There are people with severe allergies to peanuts out there, and the ability for this allergy to travel airborne makes it even more deadly.

I just ate half a jar of Reeses peanut butter in 1 day. :lmao:
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1202179691[/unixtime]]I just ate half a jar of Reeses peanut butter in 1 day. :lmao:

That's OK I forgive you. :fart:

(The other board has a hug, but I suppose fart is a good substitute.)

I've even forgiven Fluff; all this guilt by association thing wasn't the right thing to do.

Wiki wrote:Contrary to popular belief, the agronomist George Washington Carver did not actually play a role in the creation of modern-day peanut butter.

Hey what do you know, I've even forgiven that Carver guy. I'm on a roll here.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

And yes, I do know that there have been near fatal peanut allergies on airplanes. Here is a random testimonial.
Jacqui Corba, 15, had her first reaction when she was 2, even though she wasn't eating peanuts herself.

"I was on an airplane flight with my mom, and she ate peanuts and gave me a kiss on my face, I blew up like all over and I was red."
Peanuts are great. I eat them by the kilogram. Literally. And you can purchase Moldovan women for them. Literally. Peanuts are very literally my favorite legume. But some people are allergic to them in an extremely life threatening manner.

Which is why it is of the utmost import that we make merciless fun of these people and also have extremely clear labelling about peanut content and exposures; as well as offering completely peanut free options for foods and even location.

-Username17
P.S.: I'm not even kidding about the Moldovan women, that country is a hell hole.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

You mean slavery?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1202240272[/unixtime]]You mean slavery?

You can barter for a girl between the ages of 13 and 17 for roughly 300 euros worth of peanuts. You can then marry that girl, or just take her with you. Call it what you like.

It's a country which has a serious problem of people falling down open manholes because the covers have been stolen for the scrap iron. It's the only place in Europe where you can get the services of prostitutes for turnips and fish.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Fvck. Well, people steal manhole covers and public lighting wiring for the scrap here, but no such women market (at least in the part of the country I know, since it's one of the biggest on the planet, unlike anything in Europe, which seems almost traversable on foot). The part where that might actually be the best for those girls (when they aren't bought by really unpleasant people) is the saddest.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1202240609[/unixtime]]You can barter for a girl between the ages of 13 and 17 for roughly 300 euros worth of peanuts. You can then marry that girl, or just take her with you. Call it what you like.

That seems cheap enough that the U.N. should have a program for buying them in bulk and fostering them to first world countries or something.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

It'd likely lead to the country getting even more fvcked up.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

My girlfriend's construction company (she does CADD) hires Romanians more than Latinos.
They keep to themselves, mostly.
And I guarantee that the U.S. government doesn't know of their employment.

But as for peanuts, they don't give me gas. Ever. It's like eating rice.
However, whole wheat just plain fucks me up mentally and intestinally.
Each to their own poison, then.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Kissing someone is quite a bit more direct exposure than being in the same room. I suppose telling tzor that the air coming through the vents above the seats is normally recycled from the cabin wouldn't encourage him to fly again.

But seriously, people are trying to ban products from coming onto the market which have had far less incidents than peanuts. The bar is set insanely high.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

yeah but those that air recycling system has some really serious air filters in it.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

cthulhu at [unixtime wrote:1202260782[/unixtime]]yeah but those that air recycling system has some really serious air filters in it.

That'd be nice, if true.

But it's not. Check the next aircraft you're on for dust where the air comes pouring out onto a surface - like the wall next to the window. It'll be covered in dust, just out of sight of someone sitting normally in a seat.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

But it really does have some serious air filters in it.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cabina ... tml[br][br]
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah. The same filter that's in my car.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

So you have a HEPA filter. Cool. Therefore I'm not entirely sure how how you classify it as not a serious air filter? You are aware that hospitals use the same system + UV treatment? But if you think thats not good enough, nor is 99.97% particles of 0.3 micrometers or greater good enough then I suppose we have to agree to disagree.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't agree that the filters are as good as they say they are, no.

Not that it is particularly relevant to the topic. Unless you want to make the point that I have unrealistically high standards when it comes to air scrubbing equipment.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

There is an independent testing regime for that ;)
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1202250630[/unixtime]] I suppose telling tzor that the air coming through the vents above the seats is normally recycled from the cabin wouldn't encourage him to fly again.

That's true, but the air down the open throat tends to counter my feeling of nausia. That's less an alergy than a "gut" response to what I also think is an unpleansent odor.

You should have seen me eat M&M's in high school. They use peanuts in the shell by the way. Just enough to make me irritable at the time. For months I thought it was all in my head. (Instead it was in my throat and tongue.)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yes, though I can taste the peanut in the chocolate.

Also, my spouse recently ordered several varieties of salvia divinorum. Apparently it's a fairly large plant, so what I'm to do with it, I'm not sure.

-Crissa
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Water it?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Send me some?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.