Internet Nerds Attack Scientology

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Internet Nerds Attack Scientology

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Here is the site.
4chan users, the "anonymous group," have protested today outside several Scientology centers, making several headlines in the news and spawning numerous Youtube videos.
Scroll to the part where they have links of news articles and Youtube videos to see for yourself.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Re: Internet Nerds Attack Scientology

Post by the_taken »

What a strange coincidence. I just read the Wiki article on the very same topic.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Apparently they once hacked the Church of Scientology, getting into their main office and changing their answering service to the entire opening of "The Fresh Prince of Belair".

Edit: At any rate, they make me proud. First with their assistance in catching a paedophile, now fighting the CoS. Who says they're completely evil?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Gotta do good things to balance their karma, I suppose.

But one understands their hate-on for Scientology. CoS abuses the two things those guys love: Internet freedom of speech and Psychological assistance.

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

They avoided the branding of evil this time because almost everyone hates Scientologists.
Also, there's a fairly even sampling of all mentalities within any population, 'anonymous' forum sites included. I mean cmon, some of us here are members (or at least in a partial sense)

That, and groups of concentrated Nerd Evil tend to tear themselves to pieces from ample helpings of mutual distrust and loathing. These coordinated attacks were led by more honorable goals of Truth and Justice, and as such would naturally have better staying power.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

There's really too much "they" in this thread and in people who have mentioned it to me in real life, as if the people referred to form a coherent group that can be stereotyped with any accuracy. It's anonymous -- what one anonymous person does has no relation to what another anonymous person does.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That's true, and it's why I never pay attention when someone on /tg/ has a plan to make a system or whatever - even one small group such as /tg/ couldn't coordinate itself into tying its own shoelaces, so forget the legion of Anon.

But you can get things which basically piss everyone off, and that can lead to various anonymous people all walking in the same direction as though they were a consistent legion.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1202705969[/unixtime]]
But you can get things which basically piss everyone off, and that can lead to various anonymous people all walking in the same direction as though they were a consistent legion.

Poking an insect hive gets the same effect. They run more on instinct than chemical messages, so every fire ant or hornet will generally react the same: attack.
Anons operate on the lowest common denominator, much like the most base of all competent multicellular life forms.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Anon is a bunch of aggressive internet geeks with a flocking algorithm deciding what they do.

Scientology pissed them off big so they did what they do and attacked. Since its a target that other people actually care about for once its getting some real motion.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I think it is a mix of great/hilarious.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Regardless, this thread itself is made of win.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1202695883[/unixtime]]Gotta do good things to balance their karma, I suppose.

But one understands their hate-on for Scientology. CoS abuses the two things those guys love: Internet freedom of speech and Psychological assistance.

-Crissa

Could we possibly not call the Church of Scientology the CoS? I'm pretty sure my faith(satanism) had that first...
Eh, just bugs me.

on topic... that's hilarious...

...I have no further input that wouldn't make me sound like a complete moron...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Cultists of Satan? I didn't know you guys used any acronym of any sort, honestly.

Besides, I'm sure there are many other three-letter-acronyms about that are also CoS. Cos-play, my spouse points out.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Church of Satan
, actually...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

That's the problem with trademarks, you have to actively defend them or you loose them. :tongue:
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Yea, Satan venerators are not cultists any more than Christians.
Just outnumbered.

Then again, as a pagan it all seems like Skub/Anti-Skub to me.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1202835306[/unixtime]]Then again, as a pagan it all seems like Skub/Anti-Skub to me.

As an intelligent person, all of it seems skub/anti-skub to me...

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

As an atheist, all of it seems pretty fairy dressup, to me.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

As a person who does not care about Omniscient Entities that I have never met, I just don't care unless it affects me or sounds like an interesting story.
But I'm not going to devote my life to a deity who all I know about is from fellow humans.