The Gaming Den "Going to a Con" Thread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: Gen Con Indy

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It takes a woman who is secure in herself to dress up like a germanic tribesman.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

Ah, I saw the link now.

No, no, no, not Ostra/Visi Goths, silly.

I thought you meant Goths with "little rainclouds of doom above their heads wherever they go" type Goths. Porcelain skin, black hair & make-up, yadda yadda yadda ...
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Back to topic, please!
[/TGFBS]
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Alright, back on topic. (I think my topic was cooler, but anycrap)

I'm signing up for events. (Too damn late, I know, but I think I can squeeze in a few.)

What events do you guys recomend? I was thinking about taking a few writing workshops. Also, I was thinking of trying out the foam weapon thingy, because I want to beat on people with foam weapons. Also thinking about attending a mini painting seminar, as my technique could use some refinement.

I also am going to an RPGA tournament, which I fully expect to get my ass kicked hard, on the grounds that I really really suck at stuff like that, but hey.

Is there anything you guys have done which you would recomend? This is my first con.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Honestly I find that signing up for things at Con is a waste of time. Standing in line for an event simply takes longer than wandering around until you find a game that needs an extra person. Just poking around and looking at stuff will be more informative and get you playing more games than anything else.

You don't even need omni tickets. The vast majority of groups running demos are running demos. They honestly want you to play their games and resent people from the Con organization trying to ration out who gets to play and when.

Those few times an event was being sufficiently scrutinized that it actually needed people to cough up tickets, there's always some poor guy who has been left holding the bag on a pack of omnitickets that he can't use.

Of course in my experience, you don't even need a hotel room or place to stay. Just show up at the airport and there will be enough gaming geeks around that someone you've never met can spot you a place on the floor.

Scheduling yourself at a con is like scheduling yourself at an amusement park. You're there to have fun, not to check off boxes. Just show up, smile a lot, and don' get emmotionally invested in things. You really can get by entirely on your personality and willingness to try new things.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. I think I'll give that a try.

It's just hard for me to let go of scheduling at times. At work, I'm notoriously meticulous about how I do things, it's hard to let go of that when it's time to undwind. But what the hell, I'll give it a try.
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

My girlfriends and I were going to go, but 2 out of the 4 of us got our plans nixed at the last moment. (sigh) We'll try next year, since we all went the prior 2 years.

And no, it's really not a good idear for chicks to bum floor space from gamer guys. Ergo, we splurge on opulent hotel rooms with swimming pools and nice vending machines.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I would be happy to share floor space with you.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Wait, did you just invite yourself? :uptosomething:
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

So are you definitely going, Frank? It'd be good to see you again.

Wrenfield, there are currently three of us looking for a fourth person to split a room with. Yeah, we're all guys, but we bunked with a chick last year and it was all good. Let me know if you are interested.

Game On,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'd offer to help, but I promise I WOULD make you feel vaguely uncomfortable, that's what I do to people.

However, it wouldn't be any different if you were male, just for the record.
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

Thank you all for the kind offers! Especially the wacky offers. But alas, since half the sisterhood baled, the other half nixed the travel plans, out of loyalty the others.

Although I am a bit dissapointed that none of you offered to help me crowbar-open the hotel vending machines. Where's the chivalry on this messageboard, dammit?!?!

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Wrenfield at [unixtime wrote:1118427559[/unixtime]]
Although I am a bit dissapointed that none of you offered to help me crowbar-open the hotel vending machines. Where's the chivalry on this messageboard, dammit?!?!

Sorry, but since the Women's Right's movement, you chicks have to crowbar your own machines.

Besides, no junk food for me, I'm trying to lose weight.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I don't have anything to say except I'm so pumped for Gencon, I head-butt my wife so hard we both screamed.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
The threads for 2004 and 2005 were merged into one, and I figure we can just use the same thread for future GenCons.
[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Who's going this year?

Game On,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I will be going again this year.

As last year, there is a line of people who want to beat my ass. Pre-registration to try to beat my ass will be closing on Friday, so be sure to register until then.

Note the "try", as I don't guarantee that you'll be able to do so, that's up to you and your abilities.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I'm almost completely certain we'll be going this year. There's still a slim chance we'll need to back out, but as of now we look to be attending again.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

I"m in and have no idea what I'll be doing. This is my first con too.
dbb
Knight

Post by dbb »

No, not this year. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one, since I can be painfully shy in large groups of strangers and have a nasty tendency to just sort of stand around, fade into the background, and then feel horribly depressed for the next few days. :)

But maybe next year!

--d.
Oberoni
Knight

Post by Oberoni »

The one and only Oberoni is definitely going.

I will say from past observation that Frank's crazy sounding GenCon plan actually seemed to work for him.
Krowout
NPC

fbmf...

Post by Krowout »

...is one funny MF.

This is a short message because I must return to my quest to find the mythical land of the Seven Bars.
If only FBMF's woman would stop distracting me with tasty bits of ankle and drinking shots with her hands behind her back I might have found it by now...
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Re: fbmf...

Post by Ramnza »

[The Associate Fence Builder Speaks]
Merged with Gen Con thread.
[/The Associate Fence Builder Has Spoken]

Keep the Magic Alive,
Ramnza
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

Krowout wrote:
This is a short message because I must return to my quest to find the mythical land of the Seven Bars.

I am convinced they never existed.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Good to see you made it over, krowout. Hope to see you at the next GENCON.

Game On,
fbmf