Dark Elves+Manga= What?!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Dark Elves+Manga= What?!

Post by Captain_Bleach »

http://www.drowtales.com/ (Rated PG-13+, R in some sections)
I have been looking at this site, as I have noticed that Dark Elves in D&D are incredibly popular, and it has apparently spread to other fantasy settings as well (Everquest, etc.)
Overall, the comic is fine, except that Kern, the designer, has remade earlier chapters, multiple times, so that it is hard to follow the plot.
Of course, the Drow in Kern's world are very different than the typical D&D Drow. Basically, they are a lot like humans society-wise, plus they don't see themselves as "Evil." In many ways, I like Kern's Drow much better than R.A. Salvatore's, or the Drow from Celtic/Norse? Mythology.
ckafrica
Duke

Re: Dark Elves+Manga= What?!

Post by ckafrica »

http://www.goblinscomic.com/

They
take an awesome swipe at salvatore fanboys near the beginning of this one and swipes at so much else. Not as good as order of the stick but...
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Saw Drow Tales years ago, back in my webcomic faze, lost interest years ago.

ckafrica at [unixtime wrote:1189571235[/unixtime]]http://www.goblinscomic.com/

They
take an awesome swipe at salvatore fanboys near the beginning of this one and swipes at so much else. Not as good as order of the stick but...

I challenge you to a duel, knave. But seriously, why do people like OOTS? Ignoring the purposefully bad art, the humor is mediocre, the story is boring and purposefully childish, the characters are *cough* two dimensional, and the action isn't exactly action-packed. In addition to that, none of these aspects are any better now than they were in the beginning, quite a number of years later. One of the interesting parts of webcomics is seeing the author grow as an artist over the years; it's another level of connection you don't get in many other forms of media.

Goblins is so much better on every level.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

She's re-written them because he first version had 'pederasty' even though they're aliens that live thousands of years and being under-aged is smething they're stuck doing for hundreds of years... That, and there's better artists working on it now ^-^

I rather like those, too.

What is Order of the stick?

-Crissa
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Ignoring the purposefully bad art, the humor is mediocre, the story is boring and purposefully childish, the characters are *cough* two dimensional, and the action isn't exactly action-packed.

A lot of Order of the Stick's appeal to me is watching how the characters act in a universe that they know is patently phony and how they take great pains to abuse it for every single advantage they can get. The humor isn't in so much the jokes or witty one-liners but watching the characters try to advance the plot with their bizarre but accurate understanding of causality and metaphysics.

It's also appealing to me because even though these fourth wall breaches are integral to the universe of the Order of the Stick it is by no means dominated by it. The heroes still act like heroes and fall in love, fight big monsters, and hang around. The idea that heroes have to move in 'squares' or time can be advanced at a whim just because the characters realize that nothing important is going to happen doesn't interfere with the storytelling.

It's original, if nothing else.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Any boobies? PLEASE LINK TO THE BOOBIES.

As for Goblins, I'm really enjoying this comic. I'm glad you pointed it out to me.

Though I will say this. This comic is totally the reason why I hate the Red vs. Blue view of morality in D&D. Read up to the part with the dwarven paladin and you'll see what I mean.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1189602035[/unixtime]]

Any boobies? PLEASE LINK TO THE BOOBIES.

There are plenty, if you know where to look. Also, there is an "interactive fanservice" section called "Daydream." You have to pay for it, so unless there are any reviews/consumer report-type stuff for it, I'm not planning on coughing up any greens.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1189581866[/unixtime]]She's re-written them because he first version had 'pederasty' even though they're aliens that live thousands of years and being under-aged is smething they're stuck doing for hundreds of years... That, and there's better artists working on it now ^-^
-Crissa

Pederasty as in "teen with an adult?"
So instead of rewriting the whole plot, why not just take out that one part and fill in something else?

From what I heard, the early chapter "Heretic" was rewritten because Kern wanted to "tone down" the unber-religious society of the Drow. Of course, this is just what I heard.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I sensed someone saying "heretic" here. But drow are blasphemous xenos and have to die anyway.

Also, if you want teh boobies, look here. I don't care enough to sort through it.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1189600539[/unixtime]]A lot of Order of the Stick's appeal to me is watching how the characters act in a universe that they know is patently phony and how they take great pains to abuse it for every single advantage they can get. The humor isn't in so much the jokes or witty one-liners but watching the characters try to advance the plot with their bizarre but accurate understanding of causality and metaphysics.

Um, what are you talking about? Isn't V they guy/gal with Conjuration as a banned school? Since when is that considered abuse?

And don't even get me started on stupid fvcking Elan :screams:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1189621300[/unixtime]]Pederasty as in "teen with an adult?"
So instead of rewriting the whole plot, why not just take out that one part and fill in something else?

...because all the drow in the story are pre-adolescence, hence being locked away, and the addition of the 'guard' in the story who sticks with them comes from that scene?

All the other instances of pre-teen love has been edited out of the current storyline... And that bit was replaced with her 'conning' the guy ala sexy justu.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1189622920[/unixtime]]I sensed someone saying "heretic" here. But drow are blasphemous xenos and have to die anyway.

Also, if you want teh boobies, look here. I don't care enough to sort through it.

But wouldn't giving something away for free be illegal, as the creator (Kern) gives subscriptions to those who pay?
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1189622920[/unixtime]]I sensed someone saying "heretic" here. But drow are blasphemous xenos and have to die anyway.

Kern's Drow are xenophobic, but in a different way than D&D Drow. They are capable of allying with other Drow societies with different religions and forms of government for generations without devolving into covert or overt warfare.
The story itself is set in a semi "Cold War;" Conflict is on the horizon, but it is more of a "who will strike first?" than a "must kill everyone!" Well, for most of the Drow, anyway.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Um, what are you talking about? Isn't V they guy/gal with Conjuration as a banned school? Since when is that considered abuse?

And don't even get me started on stupid fvcking Elan

I'm not talking min-maxxing so much as wheedling out storytelling conventions. For example, V completely cuts out the random encounters from adventuring by pointing out how stupid they are or Haley magically advancing time by pointing out that readers would get bored watching them wait around the bushes doing nothing.

There is actually very little min-maxxing going on even though Giant shows a surprising depth of the rules. But the characters are still aware that they're not only in an artificial game universe but are also aware that they're in a story.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1189564236[/unixtime]]http://www.drowtales.com/ (Rated PG-13+, R in some sections)
I have been looking at this site, as I have noticed that Dark Elves in D&D are incredibly popular, and it has apparently spread to other fantasy settings as well (Everquest, etc.)
Overall, the comic is fine, except that Kern, the designer, has remade earlier chapters, multiple times, so that it is hard to follow the plot.
Of course, the Drow in Kern's world are very different than the typical D&D Drow. Basically, they are a lot like humans society-wise, plus they don't see themselves as "Evil." In many ways, I like Kern's Drow much better than R.A. Salvatore's, or the Drow from Celtic/Norse? Mythology.

HOLY SHIT I skimmed that like 3-4 years ago, back when the artwork sucked.. back then I was reading ElfLife by Carson Fire, another good 'elf epic'.
Thanks for reminding me, now I'll go read it. Again.

As for boobs, ElfLife has boobs. Go find it
Or rather, it did years ago. Might have more by now, or maybe censored...

"Baughb the Elf" :tongue:

http://www.elflife.com/d/19990614.html

Shit
.. Just realized ElfLife is fucking OLD. I read it back in the end of high school, maybe 2000-2001, then again around 2003. Damn...
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Calibron wrote:But seriously, why do people like OOTS?

I liked it at first, but the style wore thin after a while. I kept reading it in support of the author, but when some fans' criticism was handled poorly, it really rubbed me raw and I stopped reading it.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1189581866[/unixtime]]

What is Order of the stick?

-Crissa

Here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Order_ ... tml[br][br]
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1189649190[/unixtime]]
but when some fans' criticism was handled poorly, it really rubbed me raw and I stopped reading it.

Care to explain?
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1189631923[/unixtime]]
But wouldn't giving something away for free be illegal, as the creator (Kern) gives subscriptions to those who pay?

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1189656623[/unixtime]]
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!

No, really.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Captain Bleach wrote:Care to explain?

An avid reader made some comments on a message board (not belonging to OotS' author) that criticized a panel of the comic, calling it "cliché" and "pandering" to the "lowest common denominator." While the poster was - admittedly - a pain in the ass on frequent occasion, he often noted that he read and liked the comic (and the last time I checked, he still reads it).

The response was an accusatory post by OotS' author that made some unsubstantiated claims against the first poster and then a declaration that the poster was now banned from posting further on the author's own forum. After a moderator's warning, the author made one final snipe at the poster, deleted it, declared he was putting the poster on ignore instead, and never visited those message boards again.

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

An avid reader made some comments on a message board (not belonging to OotS' author) that criticized a panel of the comic, calling it "cliché" and "pandering" to the "lowest common denominator."

You're going to have to be more specific. I thought ever comic was like that.

OHHHHHHHH! Zing!

But, anyway, I'm glad the current arc is over. It really, really wore on. The ending was IMO badass.

In regards to the art style... I don't know what to say about it. I really want to make a webcomic one day but I'm held back by my own poor drawing skills. If this is the only way Giant can make a webcomic then good on him. I also realize that the intentional stick figure designs are part of the comic's design (and initial charm) but he kind of dug himself into a hole there. I mean, there is no way to improve on the art style.

I guess Giant could try to take advantage of the intentionally simple art style and churn out comics like a motherfvcker, but I have no idea how long it takes to make one. Making a webcomic in one day is hard, fools, no matter how simplistic the art style is.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

The stick figure thing reminds me of South Park, in that it's intentionally shitty art for comic effect. At least it isn't as annoying as unintentionally shitty comic art.
The occasional fully-illustrated full-page panel would be a nice way for TGiTP to show off his art skills, assuming he has any.
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Post by Rob_Knotts »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1189564236[/unixtime]]http://www.drowtales.com/ (Rated PG-13+, R in some sections)
Thanks to Pirotess from Lodoss War, dark elves have been pretty well established in Japanese fantasy for at least 17 years, also contributing to thier current popularity in videogames. Warning: be advised that picture searches on the internet for Pirotess may be NSFW.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Do you have the link?