In Australia...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

In Australia...

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Apparently even the plants are fairly vicious...

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl? ... 3&from=rss
PhoneLobster
King

Re: In Australia...

Post by PhoneLobster »

Hurrah, yet another a new Nepenthes (or relative) that is too tropical for me to grow and too rare for me to acquire.

The bastards.

My collection will never reach 200 distinct carnivorous plants.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

*laughing* You rule.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

What's next? Australian dirt that tries to kill you?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Does Australia have any quicksand anywhere? Because that would count as Australian dirt that tries to kill you.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yes we do. You won't find it out near the cities, so it's pretty much hidden away where people rarely encounter it, but every now and then you hear about how someone had to get their 4WD towed out of the stuff. And then you laugh at them, because that's what being Australian is all about: being a jerk.

So, we have deadly plants, dirt, coral, trees, possibly grasses (the particularly firm, large and sharp kinds), fish, insects, arachnids, birds, mammals, marsupials, octopi, fungi, coneshells, jellyfish, bugs that I didn't cover earlier due to number of legs...

I probably missed a few. Oh, and the coral won't try to kill you, it's just that some varieties happen to be poisonous as well as being very sharp, meaning people can end up scraping themselves on it, bleeding a bit and then feeling burning agony that won't go away.

I suppose technically the various plants and dirt don't try to kill you either, though. You can just get killed by them.

Australia is just waiting for some high level adventurers to come along, I'm sure.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

I hear that some of the sheep are harmless.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Lol, only SOME of them.

Nah, I just read that and the first thing that popped into my mind was this forum.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1201195653[/unixtime]]Yes we do. You won't find it out near the cities, so it's pretty much hidden away where people rarely encounter it, but every now and then you hear about how someone had to get their 4WD towed out of the stuff. And then you laugh at them, because that's what being Australian is all about: being a jerk.

So, we have deadly plants, dirt, coral, trees, possibly grasses (the particularly firm, large and sharp kinds), fish, insects, arachnids, birds, mammals, marsupials, octopi, fungi, coneshells, jellyfish, bugs that I didn't cover earlier due to number of legs...

I probably missed a few. Oh, and the coral won't try to kill you, it's just that some varieties happen to be poisonous as well as being very sharp, meaning people can end up scraping themselves on it, bleeding a bit and then feeling burning agony that won't go away.

I suppose technically the various plants and dirt don't try to kill you either, though. You can just get killed by them.

Australia is just waiting for some high level adventurers to come along, I'm sure.

so who's the BBEG? Some aborigine with killer kangaroos?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Hey, where I went to high school had a beach that was known for eating cars regularly. In fact, near where I lived was a apoit I knew that had fourrunner tracks leading out into the bayflats and not returning. There was a pit (which usually marked a sunk vehicle) at the end of the tracks.

The sands repaired themselves quickly, but the mud would leave tracks for decades. Hence not supposed to be going out on it, but that didn't stop some people... Or apparently stop the mud from trying to teach them a lesson.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1201305733[/unixtime]]
so who's the BBEG?

Kangaroos with rocket launchers. There's a funny story behind that, too. They gave the American military a really good fright.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Background to that one - animals get disturbed by military movements, and some australians where writing a flight simulator? I think for helicopter pilots for use by both american and australian pilots.

So someone got tasked with the idea of making herds realistically scatter when a helicopter comes near them - so he just cut pasted the infantry code who do the same thing, but forgot to remove some important bits.

So they are demonstrating it to big American brass as 'look at how well this is going' and fly low over a heard of kangeroos to show off the realistic scattering - and then they discover that one of the bits they forgot to remove was 'comes back with anti air missles and tries to shoot down the helicopter' which made for some surprising kangeroos - it actually got news coverage here, though in the 'funny stories' parts of the newspapers because it was a big business deal.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Heh, reminds me of a story from across the street where the programmers added in a "sample bogey" to test. The "sample bogey" was godzilla (an easy to find target in the dessert). Anywho, the product shipped before they bothered to take it out, and it was reported back to them in an E-mail asking why Godzilla was attacking the city (wandering through it, destroying buildings).