Christmas downsizing

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Re: Christmas downsizing

Post by Crissa »

I've eaten there many a time, Maj.

Urban living is new to me, so being able to walk anywhere that has sidewalks and stuff is still kinda novel. I think I prefer village-and-city types instead of this suburban sprawl, though. It's really cramped feeling with so little space to wander. Odd that I don't feel the same about cities, where there's literally less space and yet doesn't feel so cramped. I guess urban dwellers share space where as suburbia waste it.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1197944777[/unixtime]]Within five miles of here there's the Evergreen College's cafeteria. The rest is mostly trees.

Damn' they had good food. And you could get a huge breakfast for something like 5 bux. The U of M is pathetic in comparison.

But what happened to that little hippie restaurant that was right near campus?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

I moved to a 40k people town from a 800k city six months ago. Everything is within walking distance. Not much to walk to, though.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1197961314[/unixtime]]I moved to a 40k people town

Wha? You moved to a town filled with Space Marines and the like? That's pretty awesome, I can see why you'd move there. :thumb:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1197898736[/unixtime]]
A typical comment from someone immersed in "Ozzie" culture. As is all the more expected of a stereotypical Queenslander or Darwinite (its like coming from Alabama or something).

Ignoring your post, cause I don't care, you missed the point. Crissa was talking from a very biased sample and viewpoint. In particular the gamer/raider angle. Now the most unfun part of raiding is when someone has a fit because someone else got the sword they wanted. The next worse is someone having a fit because the team lost. Bringing people along who have been immersed in laid-back = good their entire life is much more fun than people yelling into your earphones.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Odd, I wouldn't play WOW if your life depended on it, and part of the reason is I know a pile of chumps and all they ever do is drama queen about those exact things.

And like I said, Novocastrian. Utterly immersed in the supposedly laid back cultural juices around here.

Perhaps the laid back business is about as un-laid-back as I suggest it is.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Heheh. Novacastrian. I recall a question cropping up in the paper. My stepmother was testing my dad's mental prowess.

"What do you call someone from Newcastle?"
"A [EDITED]!"

I imagine the word above is censored out. But we all know what word it is.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1197978024[/unixtime]]Odd, I wouldn't play WOW if your life depended on it, and part of the reason is I know a pile of chumps and all they ever do is drama queen about those exact things.

Thats nice. I'm just proposing a reason for Crissa finding Australians agreeable that hopefully makes more sense than claiming we're on average nicer than the rest of the world.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Turns out crissa was dead right about the reasons, no - the mechanism of "why/how i got fired".

One of my former coworkers got my job today. Not a promotion, but my former workplace. They are still one engineeer down, so it's not simply a matter of filling the void left by me leaving. Also, some crap a friend overheard in the caffeteria makes me serriously wanna turn some necks.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Catharz wrote:Damn' they had good food. And you could get a huge breakfast for something like 5 bux.

They do have the problem, however, of not being sustainable as the cost of supplying the various student appetites is more than what they're allowed to charge the students. So there's a fairly high turnover of companies who cook at the cafeteria.

Catharz wrote:But what happened to that little hippie restaurant that was right near campus?

There's a hippie restaurant near campus?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1197919780[/unixtime]]Oddly, the people I've met that have the biggest problem with interracial couplings are black. Or at least the most verbal about it, which is certainly better than smiling, agreeing that it's OK, and then meeting up for a lynch mob on the weekend.

that's because blacks tend to yell(especially in movie theatres) and whites tend to just grumble discontentedly... and also the generations involved, blacks have people of every generation that are against interracial marriages, while it's mostly old people on the side of whitey. That's why blacks seem more vocal about it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The entire bit about being vocal is really just an urban dweller adaption. On the lower side, if you don't yell, you don't get attention, and you whither. Most blacks in the US live in that environment.

If you find whites in the same environment, you get the same thing. Except we call them 'trailer trash' and assert that it's a rural feature, when in fact, it is not.

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

We call it the "Baltimore cell phone".

A cheap way to communicate with neighbors a block away.
Or more.
Volume = coverage.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.