If you had an unlimited amount of power to rewrite the Const

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Re: If you had an unlimited amount of power to rewrite the C

Post by Crissa »

[url=http://democrats.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=288133& wrote:Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid[/url]]In all, Republicans have now blocked the priorities of working Americans by forcing 56 cloture votes �\ fast approaching the all-time record of 61 �\ a record that took a full two-year session to reach. Let me repeat �\ they have already nearly reached the all-time two-year obstruction record in less than one year. That would be like a ballplayer hitting 73 home runs by the all-star break. This isn�ft normal obstruction. This is obstruction on steroids.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Yes but that really doesn't say much. Geneally speaking the standard operating procedure was not to let a bill get to the batter's box if it didn't have the necessary votes for closure. The Democratic leadership is willing to push more bills to places where it requires closure votes in order to make their point. This is confrontational politics at it finest, made more ironic by the fact that these bills would generally be vetoed if they reached the President's desk anyway.

I loved Hillary's remark to Obama when he complained about her vote on the Iran condemnation which boils down to "At least I was there for the vote, you weren't." I've been looking at her record for my fantasy league (yes they have one for congress. It's called, "Fantasy Congress" and she did have a very high attendence at votes percentage. I may not like her, I may not like her positions, but I will at any chance I get praise her ability to actually be present and vote because that's what we as the people of New York are paying her for.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1196783414[/unixtime]]
I loved Hillary's remark to Obama when he complained about her vote on the Iran condemnation which boils down to "At least I was there for the vote, you weren't." I've been looking at her record for my fantasy league (yes they have one for congress. It's called, "Fantasy Congress" and she did have a very high attendence at votes percentage. I may not like her, I may not like her positions, but I will at any chance I get praise her ability to actually be present and vote because that's what we as the people of New York are paying her for.

That vote wasn't supposed to happen that day. A lot of people think Reid sent it to the floor while Obama wasn't there specifically so Hillary could say that about Obama.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

It could be. But looking at the fantasy Congress stats I see the following:
  • Hillary Clinton (D) NY 744 1486 14 2655 81.6%
  • Barack Obama (D) IL 880 1081 36 2086 66.3%

Ironically only 10 senators have perfect attendence.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Even if you count all the absentees as no votes, it would not have failed to pass.

So even if they did attend this unscheduled vote, what's the point?

And what sort of argument is this:
Yes but that really doesn't say much. Geneally speaking the standard operating procedure was not to let a bill get to the batter's box if it didn't have the necessary votes for closure. The Democratic leadership is willing to push more bills to places where it requires closure votes in order to make their point. This is confrontational politics at it finest, made more ironic by the fact that these bills would generally be vetoed if they reached the President's desk anyway.

WTF, man? In the last Congress, was every bill passed with a plurality?

No.

So you're just smoking crack, there.

-Crissa