Jena, Louisiana

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Jena, Louisiana

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Did you guys hear about the whole case in Jena, Louisiana?
I did not get much information from what I saw on the news, but do you guys know any good, reliable sources for the story? I tried Google, although the news sites I use have differing ideas of what happened. Such is news...

Edit: Nevermind, found out what I want.
Link
Crissa
King

Re: Jena, Louisiana

Post by Crissa »

When government backlash comes along a racial divide, expect the divide to crack under the strain.

All the actions of the officials are understandable... Until the Prosecutor seemed to forget that basic tenet. He wanted the blacks to, quote, 'accept the consequences.'

It is true that racism cuts both ways - no one would be up in arms if the white kids had the book thrown at them at the later point; but if they were, this would be on all the big media right away instead of requiring huge protests to get any traction.

Of course, there was a big row and the white kids weren't expelled for the noose incident.

The question, though, does the misactions of the Prosecutor mean that the attempt by the school to keep it from being permanent injuries/discipline was wrong?

Many believe that expulsion was an appropriate response; the view of those in the education business is that kids need a chance to learn that such actions are not appropriate - and not just throw away kids that make mistakes They being kids, and not adults, after all.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I heard that the white student that the "Jena Six" beat up was not involved in the hanging of the nooses. That makes even less sense than beating up the ones responsible, but do we really expect teenagers to be rational and reasonable?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The white student who was beat up was a racist bully with a record of such, who was failing out of school at the time.

Since the white students who had hurled epithets had been 'dealt with' by having their parents whine them out of punishment - the black kids who were the targets of such were a bit angry.

The six then singled out weren't even all involved in the beating; and honestly, I had gotten pummeled in school as worse than that kid, as he was back in school later that day.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I may never get the whole story on any news situation, even if I were there. Such, I just have to decide for myself.
I decided that all participants were wrong. Violence is almost never a good answer.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Yeah I read up about it to tell my girlfriend in detail, since she was curious but the pages of news text gave her a headache. I skimmed it with photographic memory and summed it up.

Best part I remember about the followup to the trials was that David Bowie made some decent donations to the cause.
Damn.
He's got more soul than all of Baltimore's music scene together.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196253079[/unixtime]]
The six then singled out weren't even all involved in the beating; and honestly, I had gotten pummeled in school as worse than that kid, as he was back in school later that day.

-Crissa

Source please.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

It says "Page not found."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, bugger. I can't help it if news articles expire.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196380532[/unixtime]]Well, bugger. I can't help it if news articles expire.

-Crissa

They're just like day old newspapers; useless and unseen.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Try the "Cached" feature on Google if you find something by search.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1196398345[/unixtime]]Try the "Cached" feature on Google if you find something by search.

Ehh, not really interested anymore in this new story. I will just take Crissa's word for it that she meant to link to a news site.
But thanks for telling me anyway.