Mainstream Media / New Media

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Mainstream Media / New Media

Post by Lago_AM3P »

So, anyway, despite what people say of a liberal media or Clinton News Network or what-the-fuckever we do know that it's a fact that the MSM intentionally underreports really important shit, like, say, what evil fuckers the US is in bed with and who is the real bad guy for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Of course, the Internet media is coming in forefold. It is in no small way responsible for the Democratic asskicking handed out in 2006 and probably 2008 and I predict that the influence of Internet media is going to swell.

That said, where do you see this whole phenomenom going?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Mainstream Media / New Media

Post by Koumei »

Mainstream Media infiltrating Internet Media?

My interest in worldly affairs goes as far as checking the latest BBC headlines (a feature of Firefox) every few days, as well as occasionally asking people (like here) to clarify stuff, and I'm dumb enough to take at base value whatever I'm told.

*Edit: BBC, not CNN
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Well let's see you got your Communist News Network, your Fascist News Network, and that MSNBC whcih is what you get when you have this hot date between Microsoft and the liberal NBC and then try to forget about the offspring afterwards.

:bow: And then you have NPR the only real news show that is properly fair and properly balanced (even with a few more liberal commentators than conserative) and strongly supported by at least one conserative I know of - ME.

:wave: I support member supported public radio and you should too. Like right now! This ends this public service announcement.

I haven't been watching the TV news lately. Has there been any outcry in the cable nitwit works about the shredding of the constitution in Pakistan, the use of extreeme ecessive force to keep "major" opposition detained and the arrests of minor opposition? Or the fact that the United States is currently shipping overtly and covertly significant amounts of "e-waste" to places like China and Africa which in turn is comming back to us in the form of products from China with excessive amounts of lead? (Well technically that was from Marketplace which is from PRI - Public Radio International - but they both go out on my local public radio station.)

There is a lot of stuff on the internet media, but it's a lot like Wikki ... people who believe anything will believe anything and people who don't will only believe what they want to believe so it becomes a mutual self confidence boster service. Blogs, emails, it's all feel good BS. Not really any good news, unless they are copying from real news services.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I've supported a public radio station, twice even. The first time I won some tickets to a concert I ended up not going to(Montgomery Gentry or some other country singer, the tickets got used by other people), the second time I got a mouse pad, a long sleeved t-shirt, and a pair of Irish/Celtic music CDs.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Wait, a Conservative supporting something public? Tzor, I think you need to hand in your membership card.

Also, I know Fox is the Fascist one, but which news network is the Communist one?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Conservatives believe CNN is biased against conservatives.

Realists know they employ Glenn Beck and many other nutso conservatives and don't have a single program lead by a liberal.

MSNBC has at least one liberal newscaster, he's their only program that beats CNN regularly in ratings.

It's all a function of ratings. FOX gets the best ratings, so the safe bet is to emulate FOX.

The idea is that is what the most people want, so to make the same product means you can take part of their pie. It forgets that there is more pie over in other directions, though. Proven pie is 'safer' than unproven pie, as they say...

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1195176014[/unixtime]]Wait, a Conservative supporting something public? Tzor, I think you need to hand in your membership card.

Also, I know Fox is the Fascist one, but which news network is the Communist one?

Well that's the joke, you see "public" radio really isn't. Consider one station where I live and which I support, WSHU and it's annual financial reports. On the revenue side only 8% of the revenue is from the "Corporation for Public Broadcasting" aka the Federal Government. 61% of the revenue comes from "Individuals, matching and private foundations." 29% comes from "Corporate underwriting and challenge grants." 2% comes from "events and other income." "Public" radio is actually the biggest example of the free market that there is; the users of the product actually paying for the product they want to use.

I will admit that I don't always watch these networks 24/7 so I can't speak for the entire network but I've generally found CNN on te liberal side although less liberal than the classic boroadcast networks.

So I will yield the floor to my mother who when my father complained about how harsh these newscastere were picking on this guy told him, "What do you expect? You're watching CNN, the're nothing but a bunch of communists." Of couse the two of them actually like Fox so take it with a ton of salt. (No, wait, that will raise your blood pressure without any salt needed.)

I generally will not comment on

M
S
N B C

only because I used to work for a small company that got burned by Mocrosoft in their persuit of the Microsoft Network in the late 90's before they too yielded to the internet. They even stole the cafe chat room model of MPGN before they gave up on the idea completely. I generally find them to be the worst of both Microsoft and NBC.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't watch MSNBC, either, tzor. They're corporate scum at their worst. Olbermann is tolerable, when I can boil him down, but I don't watch the rest. I used to watch CNN all day, but they've laid off so many people that it's kinda boring now, between fits of me yelling at the tv when they say things which are blatantly wrong.

-Crissa