The New Harry Potter Book

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

shirak
Knight

Re: The New Harry Potter Book

Post by shirak »

I was pleasantly surprised that HP didn't get Hermione (who is totally hot btw). My second choice was Luna too. But I didn't care much either way. What bugs me is this endless sea of stupid that Rowlings keeps coming up with
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Fuzzy_logic at [unixtime wrote:1187577968[/unixtime]]Well, I *am* upset by Harry's romantic pairing.

I really wanted him to hook up with Luna.

Not only would it be awesome, but it's heavily, heavily foreshadowed throughout book Five. And shored up thematically in Book Six, too.

My ex-wife said I was an idiot for suggesting the exact same thing.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Fuzzy_logic
Journeyman

Post by Fuzzy_logic »

Seriously? Point out to her the following facts:

In the beginning of Book Five, everyone thinks Luna is crazy; everyone thinks Harry is crazy.

Both Harry and Luna can see the Thestrals, which metaphorically suggests some kindred spirit.

Harry *meets* Luna when he's 15, and in the throes of puberty. Novelty is often attractive.

Her name is LOVEGOOD.

Then, in Book Six:

Harry hooks up with Ginny. But, all four Gryffindors act like complete idiots for most of the year, and by the end of the year, Harry and Ginny are nominally broken up anyway.

Luna is a Ravenclaw. In Book Five, we found out that Gryffindors are't necessarily the good guys (See: James, Sirius) and in Book Six, we find out that Slytherin aren't necessarily the bad guys (See: Slughorn, Snape)

Plus, the entire theme fo Six seems to be that harry needs to stop judging people so quickly and harshly. He's wrong about Snape, wrong about Slughorn, wrong about which of his parents is most important, and so on.

A relationship with Luna would require him to see mroe than most people see in her, and since she seems to see the best in people, he might learn a thing or two from her as well.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

shirak wrote:(who is totally hot btw).

What the hell is this?
Unless you were talking about the actress playing Hermoine, in which case I ask "What the hell is this?"
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Are you implying that Emma Watson is not totally hot?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Fuzzy_logic
Journeyman

Post by Fuzzy_logic »

Indeed, Movie!Hermione is substantially more attractive, boht physically and charismatically, than Book!Hermione.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Her?
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Cielingcat wrote:Are you implying that Emma Watson is not totally hot?

I'm flat-out saying it.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

You're dead to me.
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

I was talking about Emma Watson who is, IMO, the hottest piece of ass to star on a "children's" film.

MrWeasel, you... you... weasel! :flames:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I think Emma Watson is a pretty little girl, but I definitely wouldn't classify her as "hot".
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

She's like 17 now or something, though. She was "cute" in the first few films, but has since left that scale and entered "hot."
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Maybe this will change your mind:

Or this:

Or this:

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

[counturl=92]Her?[/counturl]
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Shirak, I love you.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

She looks extremely young in the second picture, like a pre-teen even.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

You guys need to get out more.

OH YEAH I WENT THERE
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Sure, those are pretty pcitures, but does Emma Watson game?

I've decided that I'm not interested in women that don't game.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1188075706[/unixtime]]You guys need to get out more.

OH YEAH I WENT THERE

Dude, I'm 23. She's smack in the middle of my target group and I think she's hot. What's your problem? :WTF:

Count: No she doesn't game. This being a hypothetical discussion, you may freely assume that upon meeting you she will reveal her geeky side and start woeing you with tales of her 5th level Unicorn-Riding Half-Elf Ranger. Have fun!

Btw, love your postcount. You devil you!
Count_Arioch_the_29th
NPC

Post by Count_Arioch_the_29th »

heh, I made a new screen name so I don't ruin it.

And I wouldn't consider 17 being right in the middle of any 23 year old's target group.

However, hypothetically speaking, if she turns 18, and she games, well she does in fact have a lot of money. She could buy me things, and all I'd have to do is look pretty. I could handle that.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Fuzzy_logic at [unixtime wrote:1187619517[/unixtime]]Seriously? Point out to her the following facts:

In the beginning of Book Five, everyone thinks Luna is crazy; everyone thinks Harry is crazy.

The mistletoe scene in that book is also suspicious. In the book before, though, it looked like Hermione had a thing for Harry.

Emma and the actress who play Luna are cute, but currently Tonks' actress has them beat.

I was glad Dobby bought it, but it was five books overdue.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Fuzzy_logic
Journeyman

Post by Fuzzy_logic »

What incidents from book four are you referring to? It looks to me like Hermione was crushing on Ron from the very beginning of book one.

Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

I'll reread it this week and get back to you.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I greatly enjoyed the last Harry Potter book, and thought it was one of the best in the series. Thus, I really want to respond to some things said here. Lots of quotes and replies, I hope the spoiler tag doesn't make it look awful.

# First is the Plotdevicium Wand. It's wielder cannot be defeated in wand duel.

This really is not true at all. The wielder most certainly can be defeated in a wand duel, even if they are wielding the wand. Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald in a duel where Grindelwald wielded the Elder Wand, with the Wand fully under his control, and thus the wand's ownership passed to Dumbledore as he won the duel. It's powerful, yes, but it doesn't make you invincible even in a duel.
# Then we have the Amulet Of Immortality which imperfectly resurrects people unless your name is Harry Potter

I'm not sure what this refers to...Slytherin's locket? That was pretty much the exact same thing as a phylactery with a different name and rather cooler flavor.
# The we have Death's Invisibility Cloak (yes, Death. Black robe, scythe, speaks in gothic letters?)

I'd stress to point out that it's really not Death's cloak, just like the Elder Wand and the Resurrection Stone were not created by Death. That was a fairy tale. An unusually prescient fairy tale, but still a fairy tale.
# Various people die as the book progresses, including half the fvcking cast.
# Remus and Tonks die off-camera and their death is basically unexplained. A total WTF?! moment if I ever saw one

This is one thing that I'm having a hard time understanding why people are complaining about. It is literally a war, and in a war, a lot of people die. A lot of people die pretty randomly, at that. And a lot of awfully heroic people die too (see: Snape). If anything I commend J.K. Rowling for actually understanding this and doing it. The deaths did seem pretty random, because they were supposed to!
What the hell did book six have to do with *anything*? Setting aside the absence of plot, it's in a totally different place thematically from book seven.

Mostly, changing Voldemort from some mindless, faceless villain into a pretty damn interesting character. There were some other assorted things (introducing the Good Slytherin and the Bad Gryffindor, if Harry's father wasn't enough of that), but it was mostly about Tom.

And also, like you said, the absolute failure of Sectumsempra to ever help Harry. This was thrown away in the final book, though.
Why, if Harry's power is the Power of Love, is he such a hateful little bugger?

One of the series's more interesting points here. As we all know, The Big Bad Villain falling down because the pathetic hero has The Great And Limitless Power of Love is a horribly, horribly stupid fantasy cliche. That's why I was really impressed by the way J.K. Rowling did this. That Power of Love is not some sort of magical power (well, it was, but that only happened once, when Harry's mom took the killing curse for him when Harry was a baby). Rather it's just that: love. It's the force capable of making people do things they otherwise wouldn't do, the force that makes heroes out of ordinary folk and makes them continue forward when they would otherwise fall behind. Harry may have been a hateful bugger at times, but he had an awful lot of people around him who loved -- and did not necessarily love him. It was this Power of Love that drove Snape to be basically the biggest fvcking hero in the entire series, drove Dobby to save Harry and his friends at the cost of his own life, and so many more people and actions. And don't forget, it was Harry's love and sense of duty for the wizarding world that led him to confront fvcking Voldemort in the first place instead of running away and hiding somewhere, which he easily could have done. There's nothing magical about this Power, it's just love.

In any case, I really liked Deathly Hallows.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Did I mention that the Count's advice here was really solid?

As long as we're agreeing on some thing, I thought it was important to note.

-Crissa