Some linksharing...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Re: Second Life

Post by PhoneLobster »

That article looks suspiciously like it includes a fair amount of intellectual slight of hand.

He never actually presents any numbers or studies in favour of his position.

He procedes to declare that the comparison of poor to wealthy nations is invalid and just cannot be done, as if we can't measure or even tell the difference between wealth and poverty.

He admits that decreases in mortality and increases in health cause very closely matching following decreases in fertility, presumably within the same nation, but does so in a manner that tries not to place any emphasis on that fact and also fails to note that erm, yeah those ARE increases in wealth followed by decreases in fertility (duh).

He is making a very good point, that fertility figures are used to push racist agendas, then fails to debunk a damn thing while pretending he has turned over the whole "myth".

His article is all the more underwhelmingly unimpressive because he fails to also make the point that fertility studies are ALSO used frequently to attack feminism and that there are notable ties, or at least claims to such, between the wealth and education of females specifically and birth rates.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
shirak
Knight

Re: Some linksharing...

Post by shirak »

The Thread Demon strikes again. What is a discussion on Planned Parenthood doing here?
tzor
Prince

Re: Some linksharing...

Post by tzor »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1186492409[/unixtime]]The Thread Demon strikes again. What is a discussion on Planned Parenthood doing here?

And more importantly, how come I was mentioned but never invited to the party. :ohwell:

I mean I didn't even get the chance to show a picture of my "Planned Parenthood - Destroying a generation one baby at a time" bumper sticker which I decided was really in poor taste to put on the back of my Prius.

But I won't because frankly I think we're both adjusting the fine tune knob when we need to change channels. I saw a report a week or so ago that a significant number of women who were taking this acme medication that really fucks up a fetus and who had to go into programs and make pledges in order to get the treatment were getting pregnant.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Re: Second Life

Post by Catharz »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1186469719[/unixtime]]That article looks suspiciously like it includes a fair amount of intellectual slight of hand.

He never actually presents any numbers or studies in favour of his position.

He procedes to declare that the comparison of poor to wealthy nations is invalid and just cannot be done, as if we can't measure or even tell the difference between wealth and poverty.

He admits that decreases in mortality and increases in health cause very closely matching following decreases in fertility, presumably within the same nation, but does so in a manner that tries not to place any emphasis on that fact and also fails to note that erm, yeah those ARE increases in wealth followed by decreases in fertility (duh).

He is making a very good point, that fertility figures are used to push racist agendas, then fails to debunk a damn thing while pretending he has turned over the whole "myth".

His article is all the more underwhelmingly unimpressive because he fails to also make the point that fertility studies are ALSO used frequently to attack feminism and that there are notable ties, or at least claims to such, between the wealth and education of females specifically and birth rates.

If I get really bored today, maybe I'll try to dig up a paper rather than a bog post.
Crissa
King

Hilarity ensues...

Post by Crissa »

Reporters asked Bush, upon Sarkozy�fs arrival, whether he might speak a few words of French, as a gesture of goodwill. wrote:�eNo, I can�ft,�f Bush said, �eI can barely speak English.�f�h

Ahh, he sometimes speaks truth.

Mea culpa.

-Crissa