microbiology 101

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

josephbt
Knight

microbiology 101

Post by josephbt »

Although this is a question for anyone that had some sort of microbiology, i'm guessing that Frank is going to answer it.

What do you call the process of placing some microorganisms(m.o.) onto agar substrate(or any other kind, doesn't matter)?
I don't have a dictionary here at my new job(mic. lab), the internet connection is godawful and people frown when u use it, online croatian-english dictionary is giving me shit anyway, no net at home, etc.

I'm thinking "inoculation", but i have no clue if it is the right word.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
erik
King

Re: microbiology 101

Post by erik »

"Culture" might be the word you're looking for. It's what first sprung to mind as I recalled my biology major heydays.

I believe I'm backed up by wikipedia on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar_plate ... br][br][br]
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

'Culture' is a noun used to describe the bacteria (a "bacterial culture"). The process you're describing is preparing the culture.

There are several different methods of culture preparation, depending on what you want to accomplish.

"Inoculation" is definitely not the right word.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

The lingo for the action is usually "streaking a plate".
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Streaking is the actual act of running the inoculation loop on the media. Getting the bacteria into he agar is indeed called "inoculating" as you remember.

Here's
a decent discussion of how to inoculate an agar plate.

-Username17
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Thanks all.

Btw, i have no problems with doing it(i am working in a microbiology lab), i just have problems with translations.

My coworkers don't know english, so if i get stuck, there is no help.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
erik
King

Post by erik »

mean_liar at [unixtime wrote:1184947529[/unixtime]]'Culture' is a noun used to describe the bacteria (a "bacterial culture"). The process you're describing is preparing the culture.

Ahem.

That is one proper use of the word, however it is also usable as a verb, as I suggested.

To quote a dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=culture wrote:
tr.v. cul·tured, cul·tur·ing, cul·tures
To cultivate.
To grow (microorganisms or other living matter) in a specially prepared nutrient medium.
To use (a substance) as a medium for culture: culture milk.

There are really lots of different things to call the process and lots of lingo for describing the process. I've been to several different labs and each used slightly different terms (streaking, spreading, etc.). Didn't matter too much as long as the idea was gotten across.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

I've always used "streaking" for when I use a loop on an agar plate, and tend to use "culture" when referring to bacteria in broth (no solid agar).
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Biology is so strange. Some people call it steaking others call it culture. I've never thought of streaking as culture and I don't really want to equate the two.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

rapanui at [unixtime wrote:1184989837[/unixtime]]I've always used "streaking" for when I use a loop on an agar plate, and tend to use "culture" when referring to bacteria in broth (no solid agar).

That's what my girlfriend said when I asked her.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

Actually Tzor, "streaking" or running naked in public is indeed a cultural marker. I'm not going to go do research on just how universal a phenomenon it is, but my guess that it's fairly limited to certain age-groups within a narrow range of societies.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I first heard the term "streaking" when interviewing at a lab, and was forced to snicker when I met people whose role was as a streaker.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

rapanui at [unixtime wrote:1185159083[/unixtime]]Actually Tzor, "streaking" or running naked in public is indeed a cultural marker. I'm not going to go do research on just how universal a phenomenon it is, but my guess that it's fairly limited to certain age-groups within a narrow range of societies.

Might be like Wikipedia vandalism, of which 90% is apparently done by boys age 12-16.