Writing a disturbingly derivative story.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Writing a disturbingly derivative story.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

So anyway. I'm writing a story that I hope to get very lavishly illustrated--as seen in other posts.

The problem is, as the story begins to shape up, I'm very worried that what I'm writing is resembling Teen Titans the animated series.

The thing is, I'm writing a superhero story which has anywhere from 4-7 people in the same team and unfortunately balancing the personalities out causes a lot of, errr, overlap with the established personality types.

Furthermore, I also wanted to work in a 'leader has a moment of weakness/crisis which gives his enemy the chance to turn him against his friends' and the 'one team member is going to cause the apocalypse' plots without seeming TOO much like the Robin/Raven arcs.

Any suggestions/questions?
User3
Prince

Re: Writing a disturbingly derivative story.

Post by User3 »

Write it. That's my suggestion.

Then, see if it's too derivative. If you're any good, it probably won't be. If after your first draft, it really does seem like "Teen Titans", add a new charatcer, remove a character, or come up with some new *themes* you can use while retaining the basic plot, setting, and characters.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Well, you know it looks like Teen Titans because you have developed it yourself. Finish a draft and show it to random people. If THEY tell you it looks like the TTs, time to change the script. Good luck!
nova88
NPC

Post by nova88 »

IMO it is a matter of semantics.Write the story
and pass it around for comments as suggested.If
the consensus it is very/too TT-ish,remove the word story
and insert the word pastiche.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

also, don't ask people "did it remind you of teen titans?" that's kinxing thigns. If you must, ask a less loaded question, like, "what does it remind you of?"
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

'You don't think it's too much like other superhero stories, do you?' 'It doesn't remind you too much of something else, right?'

'I don't sound like I'm ripping anyone off, right?'
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

For what it's worth, I always thought my Green Ghosyt story was way too much like The Dark Knight Returns, but folks who no the TDKR have read my story and liked it.

Game On,
fbmf