Graduation

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

nova88
NPC

Graduation

Post by nova88 »

I heard through the grapevine that the fence-builder got his diploma yesterday.Congratulations, and may it lead to bigger and better gaming sessions ,er,uh, things.
User3
Prince

Re: Graduation

Post by User3 »

Congrats to the fence-building motherfvcker, and, by the way, thanks for the time here! May it lead to better thread moving, er, accomplishments! Which diploma, by the way?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

This explains many things.
Congratulations!
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Congra
tula
tions
Fence
Builder! :)
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Bachelor of the Arts in Mid-Level Education.

Thank you all.

Game On,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Kickass.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Image Image Image
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Mid-Level? Really?

...What does that mean, anyhow?

-Crissa
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Congrats fbmf. The world can always use more teachers :)
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1179364776[/unixtime]]Mid-Level? Really?

...What does that mean, anyhow?

-Crissa

I can teach fourth through eighth grade Math, Science, Social Studies, English/Language Arts, and Reading.

Game on,
fbmf
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Cool, congratulations mofo.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...My sister's high school will be looking for a Science teacher... What do you think about Washington?

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1179379586[/unixtime]] What do you think about Washington?

-Crissa

Good general during the Revolutionary War; good president, really helped guide things early on. That whole cherry tree thing, though... pfft.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1179379586[/unixtime]]...My sister's high school will be looking for a Science teacher... What do you think about Washington?

-Crissa

I am only qualified to teach 4th-8th grade in Texas.

As to what I think about Washington...some friends of mine live there, but other than that I have no opinion.

Game On,
fbmf
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Texas?

My condolences.

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1179365525[/unixtime]]I can teach fourth through eighth grade Math, Science, Social Studies, English/Language Arts, and Reading.

All I can say to that is "wow." Anyway congratulations.

As for Washintgon, he's always a good topic for a good disucssion. I think there are two important things to learn from him. The first, the General (as he was always known even after he became presient) was a real con man of an accountant. When appointed general of the Continental Army he refused a sallery but insisted that they pay his expenses. He kept such an accurate track of his expenses (ever wonder why the old joke "George Washington slept here" came about) that when he was elected president congress forced him to take a sallery in order to keep the nation from going into bankrupcy.

The second was that the General, unlike many of our forefathers, rose to such heights and popularity because he kept his damn mouth shut. He realized that everything he did was going to set a preceident and so everything he did was based with the mindset of what future generations would do using his actions as their reasons. He was the only president of the United States not associated with a political party.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Congrats, fbmf.

And cheers! Image
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Washington also knew how to delegate - by finding people not loyal to him, but rather damn good at their jobs. Much of his best 'writing' - and that accounting - was done by a young man by the name of Alexander Hamilton.

Hamilton is known as our forefather who took that knowledge of precedence, and fought against the mob-rule tendency in Democracy, and instilled a large set of rigid economic and political practices.

And he was accidentally the designer of our two-party system when he fought with Jefferson in their cabinet posts.
-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1179533999[/unixtime]]And he was accidentally the designer of our two-party system when he fought with Jefferson in their cabinet posts.
-Crissa

This is true, although ironically the party he founded, the Whig, is dead. I do occasionally joke with people who suggest that the New York Post is a "Republican" newspaper. "No it's not," I proclam. "It was founded by Hamilton and it's still a Whig newspaper. It just appears Republican because they still hate the Democrat party."

Sort of like all those old "Mets" fans who are really old ex-Dodger fans who just want a New York team that isn't the Yankees.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Was Washington the guy with the half lemon in his tomb?

EDIT: "Feels like an idiot" Congrats fbmf :blush:
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Congratulations fbmf; may you find a rewarding and decent paying teaching job!
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

[edit]I'm an idiot.[/edit] I bet you could teach better than many of my teachers.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

My fiancee and I are both teachers. In Texas. We are happy to be so. I am very proud of the degree I worked so hard on, so I am trying hard not to take your (not just technomancer's) remarks personally.

Let's move on.

Game On,
fbmf
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I grew up in, and still am in, texas. As such, I have first hand experience with how inept some of the teachers are. That's not to say all are horribly incompetent, but it's hard to be objective when you nearly fail a class because the teacher can't believe that you could write what you did. Nearly failed for plagiarism when writing about my favorite author, about my favorite series of books by that author. Apparently somebody in 11th grade can't actually come up with an analysis of persistant themes in an authors body of work.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

My sister has a Science teacher that doesn't believe in some of the theories in Biology... And doesn't understand Chemistry. So the students are failing because she's giving them tests without really teaching them anything. But apparently she was great at Physics.

How are we supposed to make sure we have good teachers? Paying them poorly and requiring degrees doesn't seem to work... But neither did letting teachers teach who didn't have the credentials... That gets you the Phys Ed teacher trying to do Biology or English, and that sucks.

-Crissa