The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
The Grammar Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NineInchNall
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being biologically different from someone else. The problem is when you're treated as though your life is somehow less valid because of it. Too many people don't want to admit the former because they're afraid of the latter.

NoNoNo

What are you doing being reasonable and rational in a discussion revolving around gender?
NineInchNall
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Actually reality hates men, witness the shorter life expectancy. That isn't in the game though. I've never even seen someone suggest putting it in. So your claim that stat penalties for women is motivated by misogyny is entirely plausible.

And the X chromosome is hostile to the Y chromosome. It's actually rather fascinating.

EDIT: I would have no objection to putting in the life expectancy difference. Men don't live as long as women. It sucks, but it's true.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NIN wrote:
What are you doing being reasonable and rational in a discussion revolving around gender?

Trying to avoid dreaming about chocolate, BOGO sales on shoes, and wearing pink.

Wink

NineInchNall wrote:
And the X chromosome is hostile to the Y chromosome. It's actually rather fascinating.

Really? Can I get a link to more information?
NineInchNall
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:

NineInchNall wrote:

Really? Can I get a link to more information?

I'll see what I can do. Smile
PhoneLobster
King

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wrote:
I would have no objection to putting in the life expectancy difference. Men don't live as long as women. It sucks, but it's true.

Aside from it being a silly and pointless thing to add to the game it ISN'T a certain truth, especially dependant on the setting.

See there are general considered to be two big factors at play with women living longer and they are both pretty much social.

1) Child Birth Stuff
Women used to have more babies. Which is a life threatening activity, in more affluent societies with access to advanced contraception methods they have far less babies. Also, having babies is now much safer. Back in the day women when women were expected to pop out six or eight of the things with minimal medical support their life spans were much lower.

2) Work Stuff
Modern men still maintain a significant dominance in all industries where bad stuff happens to you, like being crushed by things, poisoned by chemicals, being shot by the 'enemy', or just plain worked to death. Our greedy and continued exclusion of women from all these high demand and often high paying careers leaves US to shorten our life spans rather than sharing the life span shortening around more fairly.

Those are both social conditions, change or remove them, as you do in a fantasy setting and bam, the tables might turn, or not, or worsen, or not...

Why am I discussing this, damnit...
Cielingcat
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, stress reduces lifespans.

Josh_Kablack wrote:
You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
tzor
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Actually reality hates men, witness the shorter life expectancy. That isn't in the game though.

Ironically there is a lot of aging that isn't in the rules. That's where the joke abut people getting better and better eyesight and hearing as they become old farts.

(The answer isn't stat adjustment ... the answer is old fart diseases. Although you can make an argument for hearing, eyesight loss is typically due to diease.)

Back in the old days where D&D is set, life expectency for women was far less than that for men. The problem was that we solved the problem of childbirth long before we solved the problem for work/war and smoking problems and related diseases.

"Cure Disease" radically changes life expectancy, heck even "Cure Light Wounds" can make a radical difference in 0th level children.

Besides there is no life expectency in D&D, even in AD&D. There was a max age limit, which iconically in the real world may be based on DNA wear and tear and I think is generally an age not yet reached by mortal men and women. In 1E AD&D the ultimate limit was the fact that raise dead con loss was permanent and unrecoverable. Die more than your con score and you were never comming back. Max age also played a factor.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Disease" is a pretty broad category. Cancer is considered a disease. We can talk about psychopaths, and say that they're 'mentally diseased.' People can be naturally diseased from birth: witness all the genetic 'diseases,' either from mutated genes or the lack of the altogether.

Quote:

Remove disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from. The spell also kills parasites, including green slime and others. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: Since the spellís duration is instantaneous, it does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease at a later date.

Huntington's chorea? Depression? Sickle-cell anemia? Lung cancer? Trisomy 21? Lactose intolerance?
JonSetanta
King

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As one of my autistic specialties, I'm as good with spelling and grammar as some guys are with the popular genius-focuses such as math or piano.

I never used the spell-check feature throughout highschool and college.
Ever.
I admit, sometimes I fck up, but all an essay takes is a quick read-through and I notice the mistakes as if they are outlined in red pen.

On the downside, I get migraines at concerts and bright shopping areas, can't maintain eye contact for too long without strain, and I am generally clumsy with balance, among other features.
I fail college classes that involve groupwork and longterm projects, and have trouble holding customer service jobs, but disability support in my state will soon help put my grammar-focus and computer-intuition to good use.

Small price to pay, high-functioning autism. A pity I had to wait so long to know this educational support existed... a job with grammar and writing would be fun Big Grin

FrankTrollman wrote:
Scaling feats were just a bad idea. I'm sorry I wrote them.
Cielingcat
Duke

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You missed the "u" in "fuck." Or rather, "v" with the filter.

Josh_Kablack wrote:
You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Catharz wrote:

Huntington's chorea? Depression? Sickle-cell anemia? Lung cancer? Trisomy 21? Lactose intolerance?

Apparently. Its not House d20 so the disease curing rules are designed to keep the looting happening, world consistency be damned.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Catharz wrote:

Apparently. Its not House d20 so the disease curing rules are designed to keep the looting happening, world consistency be damned.

Awesome. If I blame my character's low charisma on social anxiety disorder, I can get an arbitrary increase by casting a 4th level spell.

This sounds a lot like real life (substitute 'Pfiser' for 'Paladin').
Draco_Argentum
Duke

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only to raise it from less than the racial average to the racial average. Sick
JonSetanta
King

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Grammar Discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cielingcat wrote:
You missed the "u" in "fvck." Or rather, "v" with the filter.

ORLY? Razz
From your POV it seems that way.
In reality, I usually do that.
This forum is the only place I have ever seen "fvck", with Franky being the most prolific propagator.

FrankTrollman wrote:
Scaling feats were just a bad idea. I'm sorry I wrote them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: