Fun websites outside of usual social media

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Fun websites outside of usual social media

Post by OgreBattle »

I've found that as the years go by I just use the internet for this forum, reddit, twitter, and so on.

Back in the late 90's and 00's though it was going through link chains to find anime/rpg shrines, meet like minded folks on specialized bbs...
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

I've always been fond of Sufficient Velocity it's a pretty cool community. They mostly focus on amature writing with a sci-fi/fantasy bend, but the also talk about various other geek ephemera along with usual news and politics discussions.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

The SCP foundation (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/) is good if you like horror writing. Like creepy pasta, but mostly more adult, and with the backdrop of a set universe and mythos. Lots of different ideas, though. There's a deification around the original author self-inserts (so ignore any SCP or story that references Dr Bright, for example), and some later SCP's have taken the idea of the Foundation as this all-powerful post-scarcity commune and run with it, and those are mostly dumb.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Might be cheating since I technically found this through Reddit but:

http://deathworlders.com/books/deathwor ... xperience/

Link to the first chapter. Found it on r/HFY. A long running scifi series a guy has been writing (and others have been using the universe referred to as the Jenkinverse). Still being updated once a month.

Premise of the universe below
Humans are scarily stronger and more resilient than most alien species to the point where being shot with an alien pulse weapon that maim or kill them is like getting punched rather hard.
Draculmaulkee
Apprentice

Post by Draculmaulkee »

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page is entertaining if you've never gone through their articles before.

I spend a lot of time on Quora, but if you're not into tech then it may not have very much to offer. I also feel obligated to mention that there are a lot of silly and/or repetitive questions that one has to wade through to find interesting ones.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

things like 9gag.com?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Pariah Dog wrote:Might be cheating since I technically found this through Reddit but:

http://deathworlders.com/books/deathwor ... xperience/

Link to the first chapter. Found it on r/HFY. A long running scifi series a guy has been writing (and others have been using the universe referred to as the Jenkinverse). Still being updated once a month.

Premise of the universe below
Humans are scarily stronger and more resilient than most alien species to the point where being shot with an alien pulse weapon that maim or kill them is like getting punched rather hard.
i have, by now, read all of the deathworlders . . good read that!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

SlyJohnny wrote:The SCP foundation (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/) is good if you like horror writing. Like creepy pasta, but mostly more adult, and with the backdrop of a set universe and mythos. Lots of different ideas, though. There's a deification around the original author self-inserts (so ignore any SCP or story that references Dr Bright, for example), and some later SCP's have taken the idea of the Foundation as this all-powerful post-scarcity commune and run with it, and those are mostly dumb.
If you're alt-right, there's a shit(tier) version for you as well.

http://www.rpc-wiki.com/

It even has a thinly disguised neo-nazi symbol as its icon.

Just in case anyone is triggered because trannies exist.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
OPG
NPC

Post by OPG »

What's the symbolism behind the symbol? It's over my head rn.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

OPG wrote:What's the symbolism behind the symbol? It's over my head rn.
I talked about it here, but I don't say much more than what's said here.

The RCP symbol is a vaguely teched up version of the Identity Europa symbol, Identity Europa is a white nationalist group.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I've heard that there are websites somewhere on the Internet where you can see pictures of people not wearing any clothes. That could occupy a few minutes I guess.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Koumei wrote:I've heard that there are websites somewhere on the Internet where you can see pictures of people not wearing any clothes. That could occupy a few minutes I guess.
I've heard of such websites. I hear there are some where ladies kiss other ladies instead of fellahs. Maybe somewhere on the dark web.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

If you want a shot in the arm of late 90s early 2000s aesthetic pet sites like subeta.net are still going strong after 13 years of operation. I list subeta and not neopets (which is also somehow still alive) because it has an older userbase and you can use swears.

Anatheria is my favorite because the site is completely dead but for whatever reason the owners still pay for the domain. There's only ever like 3 users on at a given time and I'm pretty sure one of them is a spam bot. Clicking around the site is like walking around an empty museum at night. The knowledge that this space was once full of people, but now they've gone elsewhere and it's just you and the dinosaurs.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Holy shit. I'd never heard of Anatheria, so I googled it to take a look, and I don't know if I just gained or lost 20 years off my life, but that is some spot fucking on late 90s early '00s furry artist style on that site.

If you really want to relive the 90s virtual pet craze, there are some tamogotchi simulators/emulators online, too.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Speaking of old school furry stuff, I wonder if Hightail Hall is still around...
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Prak wrote:Holy shit. I'd never heard of Anatheria, so I googled it to take a look, and I don't know if I just gained or lost 20 years off my life, but that is some spot fucking on late 90s early '00s furry artist style on that site.

If you really want to relive the 90s virtual pet craze, there are some tamogotchi simulators/emulators online, too.
Yeah they also had this thing where they could never hang on to an artist (probably weren't paying enough) so all the items and all the pets are done in like 20 different styles. Occasionally the new artist for a pet would try and revamp old designs in a new style for consistency but they never made it more than 1/3rd of the way through before vanishing.