Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Post by User3 »

Oberoni wrote:However, I find all the we're-too-good-for-one-of-the-founders-of-the-game attitude in your post and others to be elitist, and not in that cool, hip sort of elitist sense for which I frequent Nifty and the Den in the first place.
Okay, so we are all hipsters here. Probably none of you are of the so-called Williamsburg (Brooklyn NY) Jaded Hipster Glitterati. But amongst the D&D Elite, we are most definitely the creme-de-la-creme of the Hip Gamers.

That said, what kind of music does everyone listen to? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a number of you listen to challenging, difficult, avant-garde, and/or alternative music types.

Sound off!
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Re: Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Post by Zherog »

I listen mostly to what gets classified as "classic rock." Among my favorite artists are Billy Joel, Genesis, The Beatles, The Who, Styx, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, and probably another dozen or so I could ramble off if I weren't too lazy to type. ;)

I like other stuff, too. I like some country (Charlie Daniels Band, Faith Hill, Garth Brooks to name a few); I like some rap (Will Smith, a bunch of "80's" rap); I like bands like Godsmack, Offspring, Beastie Boys. I ike a bit of metal - Ozzy/Black Sabbath, Guns N Roses, etc. At times, I'll listen to classical music such as Bach, Beethoven, etc. I like Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Tony Bennett, and other similar singers.

I guess, basically, I like a lot of stuff. :)
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Things in my CD player right now:

Dead Kennedys, Offspring, Stabbing Westward, Hits of the Baroque Period, Nightwish

And that's all Punk, Classical, or Metal. But there's additional stuff that is represented on my MP3 playlist:
Techno (ex.: PPK, Orbital, VNV Nation, Danude).
Early Rap (ex.: Sir Mixalot, Public Enemy)
80's Rock (ex.: Nena, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Bangles)
Self-Important Rock (ex.: Korn, Linkin Park, Tool, Social Distortion)
Misc. Foreign (Juan Luis Guerra, Paul Pena, Rammstein)

I mean, it's not like I just listen to Green Day, Ill Niño, Slip Knot, and Johnny Cash. I also try to mix it up with stuff like Real McKenzies, Beethoven, and Stunt Monkey.

I actually have a pretty limited musical repetoire, all told. While I have a great appreciation for Old Timey, Punk, and even Techno - the fact is that I hate New Country and the bullshit they call "R&B" these days. I think Rap died with Run DMC, and I don't think that "Pop" has been good since I've been alive. Rock continues to produce good stuff from time to time, but Smashing Pumpkins certainly changed the way music wil suck forever.

Right now I guess I'm waiting for the next Rammstein or Ministry release. Green Day just produced a good album this last year, so they can't be expected to save us with new music any time soon. I think Offspring might be calling it quits, so no help from that quarter either.

-Username17
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

Quoting FrankT:
"...VNV Nation..."

FUCK YEAH! If you like that, try Assemblage 23.

Anyhow, I like a lot of "crappy repetitive techno music" as my friends call it, as well as virtually every obscure Video Game OST I can find. I also like a lot of Progressive Rock, in particular Rush. Oh and, Liquid Tension Expeirment if anyone's heard that stuff. Get one called "Acid Rain"... that song roxxors.

As for classical music, I'm no buff, but I do like a lot of baroque stuff... Vivaldi, Handel, Bach... etc.

Beethoven's 9th is also on my playlist a lot... as well as some Ravel, Mozart, Liszt and Orff's Carmina Burana.
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

My flavour of the month: Laibach. I love their cover of Bino's Mama Leone, and their cover of Rammstein's Ohne Dich. Basically it's ironic crypto-fascist music (much like Rammstein, only with more techno and less guitars).
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I have damn near everything these people have ever done and you should too:

Leonard Cohen
Tom Waits
Harry Chapin
Iggy Pop
Kate Bush
Waren Zevon
:sniff:
Johnny Cash :sniff:
Phil Ochs

Good shows I saw last year:
New Model Army/The Fall
Robyn Hitchcock
(wow!)
Million Dollar Marxists (although "good" is relative here)

Staples I couldn't get away from even if I wanted to:
Springsteen
Nick Cave (Everyone I knew got me Abbatoir Blues for Christmas)
Sting (for some reason I own more of his stuff on casette than anyone else's)
Rod Stewart (although I am ashamed to admit this one)
They Might Be Giants

I need more stuff by these guys:
Sergei Prokofiev
Sergei Gainsboroug
Bel Canto
Beastie Boys
Sonic Youth
Iron Maiden
Les Claypool

I am a member of a cult dedicated to
Oingo Boingo.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Most of my CD's are musical scores from movies, but I am a bartender/bouncer at a Piano Bar, so I hear a lot of 70's, 80's, and 90's music.

Game On,
fbmf
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

While I'm not too fond of country music, I think I have most genres of music on my playlist. I tend to prefer music I can sing, vocally improv, or dance to, but if I can do ballet to Linkin Park, that kinda leaves a lot open.

Some of my favorite songs include:

Pieces from Giovanni Battista Pergolesi's Stabat Mater
Pieces from Bizet's Carmen
Hai Rama from the Hindi film Rangeela
Sadeness and Mea Culpaby Enigma
God is God by Juno Reactor
Just n' Image by Ace of Base
Alabina and Habibi by Alabina
Eris Steals the Book by Harry gregson-Williams from the Sinbad soundtrack
Once Upon a December from the Anastasia soundtrack
Zero by the B'z (Japanese rock)
We've Got It Going On by the Backstreet Boys
Original Sin by Taylor Dayne from the soundtrack to The Shadow
The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game by Massive Attack from the Batman Forever soundtrack
The Jason Nevins Remix of NERD's Rockstar
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane
Hedwig's Theme by John Williams from Harry Potter

Groups/Musicians I like, but weren't mentioned above:

X Japan
Madonna
VAST
Evanescence
Tchaikovsky
Usher
Ludacris
Belinda Carlisle
Britney Spears
Eminem
Cover Girls
Depeche Mode
Mariah Carey
Linkin Park
Loona
Brahms
Dead Can Dance
Bach (especially his violin stuff)
Delerium
Edvard Grieg

I have a horrible tendency to lean towards music that's in minor key, and shun stuff in major key.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

Maj wrote:
Pieces from Bizet's Carmen
God is God by Juno Reactor
Tchaikovsky
Eminem
Depeche Mode
Dead Can Dance
Bach (especially his violin stuff)

Wow Maj, I'm impressed. I have a lot of stuff from these people as well. One of the few CDs I own (most of my music has been... aquired by other means) is Bizet's Carmen.

But I have to question Britney Spears on your list... severely undermines everything else, and puts your sanity into question. Not because the music is bad in the "my ears bleed" kind of way, but because of the philosophy implied by such vapid music.

Also, Josh, kudos on Iggy Pop and TMBG. "Intergalactic" by Beastie Boys is pretty much all I have from them.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Dance/trance/techno music.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Dude, Phil Ochs, wow it never ceases to amaze me that anyone anywhere in this day and age has even heard of him.

The only reason I even know about him is that a close friend of my parents was working with another fellow to put together a compilation of all his work ever.

Sadly for some reason his estate put an end to the project, but we were fortunate enough to end up with a box full of copied audio tapes of the material.

As much as I like a bit of folk theres a lot of it I don't like, but he was good, damn good.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

I'm trying to think here. I have all kinds of stuff so here's a sampling of what I listen to from my CD changer:

Uriah Heep's Greatest Hits CD 2 - almost all from the Demon's and Wizards CD.

Demons and Wizards (collaboration of Iced Earth and Blind Guardian)

Blind Guardian: Nightfall on Middle Earth

Beastie Boys: Ill Communication

Beast Boys: Paul's Boutique

Denis Leary: Lock and Load

From my mp3 list:

Eminem
Black Eyed Peas
Mozart
Beethoven
Daft Punk
A ridiculous number of movie scores
More 80's music than you or your grandfather can handle (Blondie, The Vapors, The Cure, The Clash, hell I even have some Alan Parson's Project in there)

There's more, but I'm all over the board. I even have some Alabama and Garth Brooks in the list.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1110367048[/unixtime]]Dude, Phil Ochs, wow it never ceases to amaze me that anyone anywhere in this day and age has even heard of him.

He released all of five albums (which makes it easy to have all of his stuff) and to the best of my knowledge never managed to sell out a live performance.

Also, Josh, kudos on Iggy Pop and TMBG.

Contrary to popular belief, Iggy Pop's music got better after the 70s. He was without a doubt the best live show I have ever seen.

And as much as I enjoy their music, TMBG (like all Dork-Rock acts) sort of sucks live. They're having fun, and it would be contagious but they always get shoved into innappropriate venues, and there are only so many Conga Lines I can have step on my toes before I start bearing the band some animosisty.

And while I'm on the subject of dork-rock, crappy venues and animosity, Morrisey is a ratfucker.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

That was me.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

TKD wrote:Demons and Wizards

Holy shit, it never ceases to amaze me that other people even know who Blind Guardian and Iced Earth are. They are a lot of fun in the vein of bands like Nightwish, and they have a lot of Tolkien and D&D references in their songs. They are metal bands that are composed of bigger dorks than me.

And I checked out Laibach and Assemblage 23. Yeppers, pretty good.

Josh wrote:And while I'm on the subject of dork-rock, crappy venues and animosity, Morrisey is a ratfvcker.

I like rats. But I hate Morrissey. Oddly enough, I kind of like The Smiths, but Morrissey needs to get killed. I'm willing to turn off the radio for an entire week to avoid all the tributes to him in order to make sure he doesn't produce any more music.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Frank, Pet Shop Boys isn't rock, not even 80s rock.

They apparently "...dance to disco and..." they "...don't like rock."

A pattern seems to be emerging in the musical tastes of those present, and I apparently continue it in at least some fasion.

I listen to a lot of techno (from Amon Tobin to The Horrorist and Tony Beltram, from Frankie Bones and Left Field to LTJ Bukem and The Freight Elevator Quartet). My all time favorite mix is..."Techno" by Ken Early, which I had the good luck to see mixed live. Just about the only thing I can't stand is Happy Hardcore. Oh ya, and Lords of Acid got boring after the 5,490,825,096th song about sucking whatever or fucking something or other or whiping the other thing or injecting this or smoking that. I own a PSB CD, but I swear I 'aven't listened to it in over a month!

I also listen to a lot of the more emotional composers, such as Beethoven, Carl Orff, and Modest Moussorgsky.

And I have been re-introduced (innoculated?) to goth metal-type stuff by my girlfriend (I think she has gone to just about every Manson concert ever in Minnesota.)

And other than that, I basically like most instrumental (non-vocal) music. Kashmir, New Orleans Blues #5, Santana, Pink Floyd, etc.

And before you think me too esoteric, I have also been known to listen to Eminem (Oops I mean girl, girl girl girl) as well as most 'rock' from the 90s (Pumpkins, Sneaker Pimps, Nirvana, etc.)

Oh ya, and I own a Darkest of the Hillside Thickets hooded sweatshirt, which I rarely-if-ever wear.

Oh ya, and Guest [UnRegistered], I totally agree: I saw TMBG in B. Dalton Booksellers of all places :bored:
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

rapanui wrote:But I have to question Britney Spears on your list... severely undermines everything else, and puts your sanity into question. Not because the music is bad in the "my ears bleed" kind of way, but because of the philosophy implied by such vapid music.

Technically speaking, I don't like Britney's singing at all. I've been describing her voice as similar to that of a dying weasel (no offense, Mr. Waesel) for years. But her music is absolutely fabulous for MY singing (whether good or bad) and it makes great stuff for warm-ups or cruising in the car, so I have a lot of it and I like it. If someone else was singing it, though, it wouldn't really make much difference.

;)

And I forgot to mention how much I love Trans-Siberian Orchestra... I didn't go down my Christmas playlist, so I totally forgot about them.

:(
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Err, I don't have MP3s, or disc changers, but when I want to listen to music, I usually grab a record from one of our big three.

Styx, Shania Twain, and Al Yankovic

Usually, though, I prefer songs over bands.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

I kid you not, I'm sitting here in my home office looking at my music collection -- and I'm currently at around 4300 CDs and 600-650 vinyl (mainly 7"s). I honestly lost interesting in counting and cataloguing, whereas as my interest in buying and trading has spiked over the last few years. Yeah, I'm one of those chicks who goes to the indie record stores in every city I visit and subsequently buries herself in the stacks for hours at a time. I now own more music than I can possibly listen and replay *again* within the normal time parameters of my lifetime. Hopefully, retirement 40 years down the road will allow me to catch up on my listening. :ohwell:

I primarily collect music from the independent labels, underground rock/punk/indie, experimental/art noise merchantry, and what have you. As a result, most of mymusic is from '76 to today, with the heavy portion of it from '87 onwards. I'm fortunate to have the full collection of the Back to the Grave compilations by Tim Warren of Crypt Records. Whose 120+ songs over 6 CD's gives proof positive that in the late 50' and early 60's, proto-punk was being played in the garages of midwestern USA by some of the nastiest, anarchist, hoods this side of the Rio Grande. Funny to hear a rabid, high-tempo guitar rock song being played from 1958 by a nobody neighborhood band laced with the "F" word and a resulting guitar smash against an amp at the end of the song. Think punk started in '76? Think again! And of course, don't forget the Sonics, the Stooges, & the MC5.

In addition, I'm in 2 all-girl bands right now. My fave is my newest one. Me = Git & Vox, Annie = Trap Kit. It's a mash of mississippi river delta blues, trash punk, and noise exploration. Canyons of distortion, tons of feedback, super-wet reverb, and massively-echoing delay on my guitar. So we actually get the full sound of a 3 or 4 person band. Like a hybrid of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Bardo Pond, Mr. Airplane Man, & 50 Tons of Black Terror. We're working with In The Red Records to put out a 7" - hopefully in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year.

My other band is a trio. No axe, but 2 electric bass guitars (I'm one, but I sing backup) and one of the most powerful drummers I've ever played with. Yeah, a wiry Japanese girl with the longest, most sinewy arms I've ever seen. And she totally PUNISHES her kit. Boundless energy as well - I'm jealous! Anyway, we play an angular, skeletal form of Art Rock ala the Gang of Four, Pere Ubu, & Fugazi. It's hella loud and very danceable. I think we still suck, but Kim Gordon (of Sonic Youth!) dropped by one of our shows and talked to us afterwards - she liked us! Said we had a lot of potential, so that's encouraging.

I'll throw some stuff out later today that I am currently listening to at home and at work.

As far as the rest of you goes, well .. I love reading other people's music lists. Even if most of it is not to my liking, I love seeing everyone's passion for sonic delights. :)

Wrenfield's "Good Ear" Award goes to:

Josh Kablack!

Kudos to you for finding really fantastic music that's not readily accessible or is consider "challenged listening". As evidenced by your like for Nick Cave, Sergei Gainsbourg, the Fall (Mark E. Smith is the Drunken BOMB!), New Model Army, & Sonic Youth. Hell, I even got MDM's "Give It A Name". Although I think they sound too much like the New Bomb Turks ... whom I prefer.

The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Luck on the band, Wren!

Me gets out Ipod:

Waterboys
Billy Bragg
John Wesley Harding
The Killers
Green Day
OutKast
Dropkick Murphy
Public Enemy
Thin Lizzy
Smiths
Cheap Trick
Vines

Josh, you're totally right, late-model Iggy Pop rocks. BTW, did you know that TMBG has a kids album out? ABC's and stuff. So do I get it for me, or for Sorcha?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

TMBG also does the theme song for a kids show on Nick - I believe it's the Backyardagins, but I might have the wrong show.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

I'm a Wiggles man myself. "Man" of course used loosely.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

They also do the "Dr. Evil Theme Song".

Game On,
fbmf
Josh_Kablack
King

Futureman is the world's best Synthaxe Drumitarist

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Wrenfield at [unixtime wrote:1110477584[/unixtime]] Mr. Airplane Man,

:loveya:

Those two little girls make a whole lot of noise. I have been searching for their CD for many years now - ever since I saw them live opening for Zevon (or someone like that).

If they're among your influences, I will definitely have to wrangle me a copy of your release when it happens...

And on the subject of pimping music by friends:

http://twilightmachine.com/home.htm - these guys are really cool. I'm kind of ashamed to say I like them better than I like their music. I'll be at their show on April 23rd.

http://www.guitar9.com/strangeworldcrd.html - I know nothing about this band, but they paid my brother to do this album cover, so they're alright in my book.
Wrenfield
Master

Re: Futureman is the world's best Synthaxe Drumitarist

Post by Wrenfield »

(Continued from last post.)

I usually do about 5-10 radio shows a year for a number of college/community radio stations in the New Jersey / NYC metropolitan area each year. Still not on WFMU though, but working on it. :roundnround: My last Halloween show I did was interesting - since all the songs I chose seemingly had a D&D angle to them. Hence, I announced it as my "Halloween/D&D Theme Show"! And out of the woodwork came more callers than I ever received in any of my other shows! D&D Geeks galore. It was wonderful, since many of them commented that it took a lot of chutzpah to publicly announce that I was a Gamer Girl - and even more so that I had the temerity to play D&D themed songs. Oh yeah - I did have one born-again christian proselyte call me. He had a noticeable lisp *and* a stutter. Which mixed with his pious fervor and heated vitriol did nothing but actually make me laugh. Oye ve.

Hm. My "Top 10" On my stereo and turntable as of late.
-------------------------------------------------

Johnny Hash - "Rat Pedal / Summer of Cum" - (In The Red - '95 - 7")

The Gore Gore Girls - "Strange Girls" - (Get Hip - '01 - CD)

The Piranhas - "Erotic Grit Movies" - (In The Red - '02 - CD)

Woodpussy - "Put A Jelly In The Box / Fvck Song #6" - (Hell Yeah - '93 - 7")

The Fall - "Bend Sinister" - (Minder - '86 - LP)

The Casual Dots - "[Self-Titled]" - (Kill Rock Stars - '03 - CD)

Gravitar - "You Must First Learn to Draw the Real" - (Monotremata - '99 - CD)

Trailer Bride - "Whine de Lune" - (Bloodshot - '99 - CD)

Les Georges Ferdinand - "Deux Hot Dogs Moutarde Chou" - (Alien8 - '04 - CD)

Pvssy Galore - "Dial 'M' for Motherfvcker" - (Matador - '89 - LP)

Lots of Art-Skronk Noise, Low-Tempo Psyche/Dementia Garage Rock, Girly Girly Garage Bands, Angular Punk that Greases Yr Skeleton. Good times.