Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Heres Angtoria demonstrating that everything is better as symphonic metal by covering Kylie Minogue's Confide in Me. (Ignore the crappy vid, this one had decent sound at least.)
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I'm kinda in love with Japanese Cartoon right now.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Can't Stop the Top (youtube link)
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Bands that you probably haven't heard of:
The Gaslight Anthem - sound like a young punk Springsteen? probably my favorite newish band. Also, their lead singer is a fantastic acoustic soloist and troll
ITP: an egyptian electronic band
Matisyahu: a Hasidic Jewish reggae artist
Northern Kings: a Finnish metal pop cover supergroup
Van Canto: a capella metal covers
Joe Satriani: guitar-driven instrumental rock, occacionally heading towards a more electronic sound
Wintersun: finnish symphonic folk metal, I guess?

Bands that you have heard of:
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, but not his solo stuff
Jethro Tull
Dire Straits
The Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

If you like Gaslight Anthem, you'd probably like Social Distortian and Against me!

If you like Wintersun, then I strongly suggest you listen to Opeth. It's probably the best symphonic metal group out there.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

The wife and I watched Sucker Punch on Saturday. Alright movie but I'm obsessed with Bjork's Army of Me right now.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Mister Cavern used this as the hacking music in a far-future sci-fi game. It fit pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4H-E0UT0Q
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

I just downloaded a bunch of late-'90s Camp Lo. Luchini (aka This Is It) is a great caper track.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

A friend of mine has released his band's first album. Seriously got some catchy riffs.

Meyerman - Who do you think you are?

Listen and then buy!
Last edited by Cynic on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KdXzNTS_jM

I never got very far in Mother 3. This is tempting me to look for my old translated ROM file so I can see just what I missed.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

http://tindeck.com/listen/qulu

A sometimes-trying FF13 Let's Play just managed to justify a chunk of otherwise regrettable downtime. The technical guy made and inserted this in a video where the audio recording failed for a couple minutes midway through.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Thai rap is strange yet addictive.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

What are some new power metal and prog metal releases/bands out there? I'm all sad about the departure of Roy Khan from Kamelot and am looking to cheer myself up by broadening my horizons.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Surgo: Check out Fair to midlands.

More prog metal than actual power metal. But there is some power metal as well.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

A few years back, Evanescence split up. Amy Lee, the lead singer, went one way and kept the name of the group. Ben Moody, the lead guitarist, went the other and created a new group with American Idol contestant Carly Smithson called We Are the Fallen.

WAtF released their album a year or so ago. I liked it. The music is - unsurprisingly - similar Evanescence, but it has a roughness and eccentricity that I found unique enough. The singer is a good fit for the band, and she can pull out the stops sorta like Amy Lee.

But Evanescence just released their new album - the first since the split. And in listening to the two, you realize what WRtF is missing: the ability to be quiet.

WAtF's Smithson powers through almost every song (except "Sleep Well, My Angel"). She sings really well, but listening to all that power, you get tired. By the end of the album, your ears are begging for a break.

Amy Lee has a voice with less weight. She still can pull down some awesome power, but her voice also has a lot of agility and can be light and soft.

All of that translates into the fact that I've been listening to Evanescence's new album (Evanescence) on repeat for the last few days. They remain one of the few bands I actually love.
Last edited by Maj on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Ooh, new Evanescence album.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'm really liking Labrinth (featuring Tinie Tempah) - Earthquake {OK, British Rap, Bass, Digital Druids} and Rizzle Kicks - Down With the Trumpets {OK, British Rap, Trumpet, Ghetto Blaster}.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Not a huge fan of Jason Derulo, but his latest single, Breathing {OK, Dancing, Kinda Creepy} samples VAST's Touched {OK, Attempted Suicide, Kinda Creepy}, and since I love VAST, I gotta give the new guy some props.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Maj wrote:I'm really liking Labrinth (featuring Tinie Tempah) - Earthquake {OK, British Rap, Bass, Digital Druids} and Rizzle Kicks - Down With the Trumpets {OK, British Rap, Trumpet, Ghetto Blaster}.

Earthquake is so addicting. The whole house has been humming/singing it .

The Rizzie Kicks video was good.

THere's something going on with the autotune proliferation recently. It looks like some of the artists are trying to play with either their lyrics or their own voice so it becomes a more personal autotune. This is cool but it still doesn't excuse synth autotune. Synth is good but not for everything.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

One of the games I'm looking forward to released its theme song as a downloadable mp3.

http://www.grimrock.net/wp-content/uplo ... -Theme.mp3
http://www.grimrock.net/2012/02/03/crea ... -grimrock/
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I was just doing some casual web searching, and I learned that The Megas revealed a few new songs in a concert earlier this year. This one's pretty nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ApAMlrKNo
I'M NOT THE BREAKMAN

Sometimes I can't see the blue through the red
Hard to see the good through your trail of dead
You say you'll do all you can to save them
Killing your own won't make you human

I woke to turn this man to cinders
Circuits afire, as I remember
Again I hear a promise spoken (spoken)
My rage repairs what once was broken

CHORUS:
They lost me, forgot me,
Made you from parts of me.
If you're the one--my father's son--
Then what am I supposed to be?
What am I supposed to be?

You say those things you do are what you choose
This thing, you call your will, I call a ruse
We follow a path, we walk the program. (program)
I've accepted the machine I am.

I wear a mask to hide what's been erased.
How do you kill a man who has your face?
My heart is gone, there's only fire. (Fire)
I met the maker, and the man's a liar.

CHORUS:
They lost me, forgot me,
What am I?

I had a name; my father called me Blues.
He tore my heart from my chest to give to you.
I'm not broken---I'm not the Breakman.
I was the first, I am the
Protoman.

CHORUS:
They lost me, forgot me,
What am I?
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I've been looking for some new music, and I thought it was time to resurrect this thread.

The Decemberists- Shankill Butchers. Atmospheric, interesting, indie folk. They're a really versatile, interesting band, and while all their stuff is folk-esque, it varies quite a bit.

Fang Island- Daisy.Hyper-energetic, vaguely psychedelic post-rock. They describe themselves as "everyone high-fiving each other," and that's a better description than anything I could give.

Death Grips- Hacker. NWA meets Black Flag meets weird-ass techno meets noise-rock. Listen.

Swans- Jim. Swans started off playing what is essentially proto-grindcore, moved on to weird orchestral post-rock, and now are doing what can only be described as apocalyptic electric kinda-blues.

Flying Lotus- Do The Astral Plane. An experimental electronica artist proving he can make dance music. Sort of.

Hot Chip- I Feel Better. Indie electro-pop. Watch it for the video, if nothing else.
Last edited by Korgan0 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The best cover of Ghostriders in the Sky I've heard: Die Apokalyptischen Reiter's

Ghoultown is pretty awesome too, and pretty much an integral part of Dead Man's Hand's soundtrack.

Found these guys a while ago, pretty awesome steampunky music, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.