Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Re: Futureman is the world's best Synthaxe Drumitarist

Post by User3 »

Josh_Kablack at [unixtime wrote:1113628665[/unixtime]]
This I have got to take exception to. I mean, unlike whiney-grunge bitch, Trent has a respectable family business he could go into.

:rofl:
Thats pretty amazing.

Wrenfield at [unixtime wrote:1113947996[/unixtime]]
Catharz wrote:Not to be a snob, or to bitch about music (two terrible character traits) ...
Hey, that sounds like me! Yay! :)

I use the "Not to be a..." tag because I believe is is the best way to warn people that I'm about to be exactly that. :P

Wrenfield at [unixtime wrote:1113947996[/unixtime]]
Catharz wrote:I mean seriously, I like Closer just as much as the other 'kid who was almost goth in middle school,' but NIN should really have gone the way of Cobain.
Trent and his NIN are not "goth" at all. The closest tag you could put on them that would come close to that genre would be "Mall Goth" or "MTV Goth". If you talk to those in the goth music community, they don't really touch anything of Marilyn Manson or NIN. No matter whether you are talking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd wave gothsters.

Contrary to some folks belief, Marilyn Manson is very mainstream, as is evident by his platinum record status here in the States. Like Gwar, they both are terrific and creative visual artists - but can't write good music or lyrics to save themselves. They both have captured a way to ensorcel the American public with their aesthetic projection and imagery - especially via live performances and videos. Honestly, no one gives a damn about anything they have to say. Because none of it is memorable or important.

States? If you think Manson is popular in the States, you should see what they think of him in Japan. Not to badmouth Japanese pop culture, but I think that really says all that needs to be said.

Wrenfield at [unixtime wrote:1113947996[/unixtime]]An neither one of them have done anything that musical artists like the Genitorturers, G.G. Allin (and his various incarnations), Genesis P. Orridge haven't done already before or in a more interesting/entertaining/creative fashion.

Not that I, or most of America (and probably the rest of the world) would ever know...The only exposure to 'that kind of music' I ever get is the Descent (on Radio K).

BTW, what does Orridge always keep popping up? Its like he is the Robert Anton Wilson of music or something...Did I really just write that? Time to go take my crazy pills.
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

Catharz wrote:States? If you think Manson is popular in the States, you should see what they think of him in Japan. Not to badmouth Japanese pop culture, but I think that really says all that needs to be said.
Musically, Japan has a similar demographic and quality bell curve to the US. Although without a doubt, their underground is extremely abuzz with some terrific and vibrant musicians. Most of the music is derivative (but what music isn't anymore) and undergirded with America music formulas. Although the Japanese cultural imprint gives this music its own twist. Japanese rock is very reverent to 50s/60s American rock structures, even down to their usage of analog and vintage equipment. Except the Japanese *love* massive canyons of noise issuing forth from their instruments. Distortion, feedback, overdrive, reverb, delay, drop d-tuning ... all that comes in metric tonnes from Japanese guitars and basses. Witness this with great Jap rock bands like the Guitar Wolf, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, The Mad 3, Switch Trout, the Surfcoasters, Estrella 20/20, Gasoline, Teengenerate, and DMBQ.

Catharz wrote:BTW, what does Orridge always keep popping up? Its like he is the Robert Anton Wilson of music or something...Did I really just write that? Time to go take my crazy pills.
That's because Orridge is responsible, partially responsible, or involved in the acceleration of the majority of major underground art, music, and cultural movements/phases in the States and the UK over the last 30 years. I kid you not. In the artist and musician conclaves of NYC, Boston, and San Francisco ... as well as any art school grad who knows their history, Orridge's name and influence is well-known and open to many debates and dialogues.

If you don't wish to read any book about him, rent or buy the DVD called Disinformation: the Complete Series (it's on Amazon.Com). There's a great overview of him and his life. Well, her ... actually. He's had a sex change operation into a female.
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

There is a death metal band out now that is called "Hatebeak".

Are you ready for this? It's fronted by a parrot. I shit you not.

To download a free MP3 of their song "God of Empty Nest", go here = http://www.boingboing.net/2004/06/29/fr ... br][br]The band also has a 7" out on Repitilan Records. Google that record lable to find out more about it....

Username17
Serious Badass

I will kill your family.

Post by Username17 »

Reptilian seems to produce a bunch of deliberately in your face "Satanism". Good stuff.

I just want to say that any world that has Parrot-generated Death Metal is a good world in my book. Although honestly, as far as I could tell, they could have just been hitting the microphone with the parrot for all the good it did.

I really couldn't tell you which parts of the song were made by the parrot and which were not. Awesome.

-Username17
Joy_Division
Apprentice

Re: I will kill your family.

Post by Joy_Division »

Ok So I got a little drunk and went cd shopping the other day.

It's not like it hasn't happened to everyone. . .

But I got a DVD of Nick Cave Videos, Leonard Cohen's first album, Cat Power's You are Free, The Valley of Giants (to round off my Arts and Crafts Collection) and Belle & Sebastian's Push Bar Man to Open Old Wounds.
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: I shaved my ears

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Holy Crap, this has been a good year for music.

Not only have Weird Al's Don't Download this Song and White and Nerdy hit hillariously close to home, but, I've also made the following discoveries: Gnarls Barkley, Beatnik Turtle, Ok Go, Elf Power, Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

My spouse has found Rubnitz (not new, but on YouTube) and several older things finding air because of the increased content of the internet.

Yay for old indie stuff finding its way onto the internet.

Sortof.

-Crissa
Tokorona
Journeyman

Post by Tokorona »

I just saw this - I listening to primarily Japanese pop and anime songs . When I'm brave enough for the radio, classic rock and 80's and 90's pop music. ANd Weird Al. Lots of Weird Al.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Josh_Kablack at [unixtime wrote:1159155429[/unixtime]]Holy Crap, this has been a good year for music.

Not only have Weird Al's Don't Download this Song and White and Nerdy hit hillariously close to home, but, I've also made the following discoveries: Gnarls Barkley, Beatnik Turtle, Ok Go, Elf Power, Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew.

I wouldn't call Gnarls Barkley a discovery. Sure, they make good music but they're as much a product to be made successful as Britney Spears.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The new Chemical Romance is pure awesome.
Digestor
Journeyman

Post by Digestor »

I'm surprised Save Versus Stupid hasn't posted in here yet.

While I don't consider myself to be a skilled d&d nerd, I'd call myself an utter wet-behind-the-ears nooblet at most, I'm all over the metal and lately industrial.

Name-droppage to ensue.... in 3, 2, now.

Gorefest, Mindsnare, Grave, Bloodbath, Cryptopsy, !T.O.O.H!, Atheist, Aborym, In The Woods, Witchery, Sodom, Impaled, Ghoul (from hence my user-name), Katatonia, Gaahlskagg, At The Gates, Acid Bath, Windham Hell, Ensiferum, etc. etc. etc.

The list goes on to include a bunch of bands that sound like Barbarian character names and include a lot of faux-celtic sounds.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

I've been listening to Autumn Cathedral lately, because they turned up on one of my internet radio channels. Great stuff, if you're into completely overwraught goth music. "Cabaret Grey" is a good example: So full of apathy, rhyme, and syth sounds.

Also, an oldie but a goodie: 'Teenage Enema Nurse,' I think the band is called "Killer Pussy."

[Edit]Since when does "pussy" show up as "[EDITED]"???[/Edit]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[Edit]Since when does "[EDITED]" show up as "[EDITED]"???[/Edit]

Since the board's creation when I put it in the swear filter.

Game On,
fbmf
Digestor
Journeyman

Re: I will kill your family.

Post by Digestor »

FrankTrollman wrote: *something about parrot being hit on microphone and liking it*

You may want to try out some Prostitute Disfigurement then

NOTE THE IMAGERY AND SOUNDS CONTAINED ON THIS SITE ARE MOST DEFINITELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK

cryspace profile -- http://www.myspace.com/prostitutedisfig ... br][br]The best way I can describe their vocals is to tell you to imagine the sound you would get if a belt sander were being applied to a pig's scrotum, and the scrotum of the pig was made of granite/marble.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1165509009[/unixtime]]
[Edit]Since when does "[EDITED]" show up as "[EDITED]"???[/Edit]

Since the board's creation when I put it in the swear filter.

Game On,
fbmf

Ah, I thought it might have been since when you changed "fuck" to "fvck." It's just wierd to see "pussy" getting censored.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Exceeder by Mason is a great song.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: I broked the post limits with my play last :D

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Digestor at [unixtime wrote:1165528539[/unixtime]]
FrankTrollman wrote: *something about parrot being hit on microphone and liking it*

You may want to try out some Prostitute Disfigurement then

NOTE THE IMAGERY AND SOUNDS CONTAINED ON THIS SITE ARE MOST DEFINITELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK

cryspace profile -- http://www.myspace.com/prostitutedisfig ... br][br]The best way I can describe their vocals is to tell you to imagine the sound you would get if a belt sander were being applied to a pig's scrotum, and the scrotum of the pig was made of granite/marble.

I dunno man; sounds more like a baby drum kit being shot to death with a .5 BMG. With the drum's mother crying as it watches and shells going off in the background.

Narrated with power guitar and some guy with his vocal chords removed.

Me, I listen to, a lot; Wagner's operas, Braindead Monkey's musical pranks (really, their 'music' is a prank); bands like Blutengel sing me terrible things in a beautiful way or CCR tell it like it is.

Lately, I've added lot of newer whiny, but funny stuff like Motion City Soundtrack and Alkaline Trio; I thank my little brother for that grouping of about... 6-12 bands. It's not mainstream rock, it's not radio rock, it's not what most people call punk. I guess you could call it garage rock, but it's not. I guess I'll go with what my brother said: "Dont' listen to genres, listen to bands"

[Note: My little brother's in his 20's, I'll just always call him that though ;)]

Plus, of course music that I doubt anyone here would listen to, guys like Los Fronterizos or Los Chalcaleros or Tango, few people listen to Tango, and almost no one here can even dance it, mostly b/c they don't know what it's supposed to look like, or be (notable exception: Al Pacino in 'Scent of a Woman').

I'm guessing that Sin Dios might have been heard around here, since it's a bit more mainstream, being anti-fasict Madrid punk would make it more well known than a bunch of old guys singing gaucho's sambas.

I'm not gonna touch my playlist. the last time I posted sections of it, I found out the character cap of the invision web forum system very quickly. The illegal downloading denouments hold little water with me though, since the bulk of my music comes from bought, loaned or borrowed CDs that I rip to my 290-ish gig ex-HDD, plus the RIAA can fuck it's hat for all I care since I'm In the American Frostfell.

Oh, Frank, you should check out www.rantradio.com's Industrial Electronica section.

They're punk section is also huge; I think both have somewhere in the number of a thousand cycled tracks with no interruptions for ads; (plus you can request for a specific track to be played). They're TV and talk channels aren't bad either.

That or try to find some Blutengel or Stormkern. Neither is from an english speaking country, but they sing pretty damn good in it.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

This is a pretty good CD.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Judging__Eagle wrote:

I dunno man; sounds more like a baby drum kit being shot to death with a .5 BMG. With the drum's mother crying as it watches and shells going off in the background.

... he uses one of those throat boxes that some smokers get, only instead of connecting it to an amp - it first goes into a blender... and then an amp.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1169977362[/unixtime]]
Judging__Eagle wrote:

... he uses one of those throat boxes that some smokers get, only instead of connecting it to an amp - it first goes into a blender... and then an amp.

Rofl; oh that's hilarious.

Oh, Mr. Waesel, what did you think of their other CDs?

The funny thing was how I started looking for Faithless' stuff; ths guy I used to know when I played Ragnarok Online was called Outrespective, then I went and got back to mine b/c I couldn't find Outrospective at the time.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Two more great CDs:

R&B Clubmix 2007

The World's Greatest Electro House

(I was looking for a better link for the second one, but it seems the only links that include a boxshot and track list are warez sites :ohwell:)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm bringing this thread back because I feel like it.

Lately, I've been on a folk/viking/pagan/whatever metal kick. I saw Eluveitie, Turisas, Tyr, and Ensiferum in NYC during the last stop of the Paganfest tour a few months back, and was hooked on the stuff.

Also, I recommend Korpiklaani, Finntrolls older stuff (I'm not as down with their newer album, it's more of a folk metal/black metal fusion last album, without the polka-inspired music of the previous ones. Yes, you read correctly), and I just got an Amon Amarth Cd that I'm still in the process of listening to (It takes me a couple of listens before I decide if I like the album.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I listen to some fairly mellow stuff. Since I'm cheap and don't own much music I'll just link you to my pandora profile.

http://www.pandora.com/people/spencer.es1
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

I mostly listen to country, although the only genre I actively dislike is headbanger metal. Some of my favorite artists: Hal Ketchum, Lonestar, Blackhawk, Garth Brooks, Deana Carter, Little Texas, Tim McGraw, Restless Heart.

I also listen to some folk (Dar Williams), pop comedy (Weird Al Yankovic) and '80s soft rock (Mr Mister, Tears for Fears).

So...there you go.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Both Disturbed and Ill Niño came out with new albums this year, it's wicked awesome.

-Username17