Why is Death Attack evil?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Re: Why us Death Attack evil?

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1090425609[/unixtime]]You really can have an absolute moral system in DnD. Do stuff to people against their consent , unless acting for the greater good, is evil in almost every human society.

:lmao: You do realize that right there already makes it NOT an absolute moral system?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I also don't think Animate dead should be evil.

Skeletons and zombies are automata. If you don't give them any orders, they stand there until you do. If they're uncontrolled, they do nothing until controlled.

Sure, an evil necromancer can do a lot of damage with zombies. But then again, an evil warrior can do a lot of damage with his sword of vorpal nutkicking +7.

Now, I can understand that creating evil, self-replicating undead that you don't have 100% guarenteed control over should probably be evil, a wizard who creates a bunch of wraiths and set them loose in a neighboring country would probably qualify as evil, even if the country was inherently evil, because those wraiths are probably going to cause trouble for ages, even long after you replaced the evil despot with a despot more of your choosing.

The only thing I can think of, is that I can see animate dead being against the law in a lot of countries, as a lot of cultures have problems with corpse desecration, and it does tend to replace less skilled workers in the job market. So, I can see a lot of countries either making it illegal, or strictly controlling it's use.

But to me, icky does not equal evil.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

If you go by the source, creating a flesh golem SHOULD be an evil act. I mean, the pesants didn't storm Frankenstien's castle because he threw bad parties.

-K
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DM wrote:If you go by the source, creating a flesh golem SHOULD be an evil act. I mean, the pesants didn't storm Frankenstien's castle because he threw bad parties.

If you go by the source material, the peasants didn't storm the castle at all. The only peasant storming happens when some misguided villagers see the monster hanging out doing some minor good works and flip out on him because he's ugly.

The creature was totally awesome, and gives Frankenstein many chances to be a father to him. Offers which are always refused because Dr. Frankenstein is a neurotic prick. The evil act in the source material is being a bad parent, not creating Flesh Golems.

The Flesh Golem in the story is a metaphor for any child, and the act of creating it is not protrayed as a mistake by anyone other than the father who is refusing to accept his responsibilities as a parent.

-Username17
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Not to sound like a wanker or anything, but the power plant I work for isn't in the business for generating power.

It's for a nuclear-powered submarine.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I assume you work on it at port since I doubt you'd be posting from a sub on patrol. Whats her name?