'I'm tired of picking up after you!'

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

'I'm tired of picking up after you!'

Post by Crissa »

This is a common tool of moderation - which we luckily have fbmf instead, who tells us when we're misbehaving - erasing posts without so much as an automatic return of the message.

- Your message has been refused, please reconsider reading our rules -

I understand alot of games now a days are groups of more than a handful of people. Raiding in MMOs takes dozens of people, possibly hundreds in shifts, and it doesn't pay or anything.

But why is it most moderation based upon hearsay and recordless accusation when nearly all communication is recordable, or as this board, is a type of recording?

And what's wrong with just telling people what behavior isn't appropriate or when their actions or words are hurtful?

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: 'I'm tired of picking up after you!'

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It's because most people on the internet are stunted socially and it's just plain easier to hurl accusations, throw tantrums when the evidence doesn't support your claims, and turn against someone for little reason.

My wife got booted out of two guilds because of the actions of three bitter women who decided that they would make her everquest life a living hell. (One had a crush on someone who was a friend of Ame's and was jealous, one was a guild-hopper who would exploit a guild for all it had, then change guilds and Ame called her on it, the third decided to screw my wife over because she made the mistake of saying "Stop making fun of her, English isn't her first language", despite the fact that english WASN'T her first language, and people were calling her retarded because of it. The fact that I hacked their guild's website and turned it into the "Count Arioch the 28th OWNZZ you!" forums didn't help. But it was funny.)

I'll grant that the WoW community is better about that "The ever-famous "Screenshots or it didn't happen" line), but the fact is most online communities, whether gaming or not, just operate like that.

You can either live with that, or just not be on my internet, because there's largely nothing that can be done.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, you're right, but I wish it wasn't true. Personally, I was expecting the usualy 'we don't know what you're talking about' reply that I get in most of my threads ^-^;

I was just thinking about it this weekend. It's been three weeks since I stopped raiding due to a falling out. I can barely show my face in a public place on my WoW realm without being attacked by a specific raiding association.

And I really don't know how to maintain my style of play - casual - and stay with a group. Apparently showing up, doing your best, and apologizing for your mistakes (and not repeating them) isn't enough.

There seems to be something about conning people into thinking they're important, never suggesting shortcuts or alternate tactics. And never, ever go againt the grain...

But I don't want to do that. I just want to show up once or twice a week and play a game.

-Crissa
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

This is why in City of Heroes, I solo alot, team only with certain people I have teamed before, and don't get involved much in the overall community.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

On my WoW characters, I quickly established myself as outside the whole thing by calling out people that were acting like douchebags.

Although I didn't endear myself to the big raiding guilds, I did in fact make quite a few friends on old Hellscream.

I decided to quit my mage, since I've found that high end gaming is just not my cup of tea, despite being the official "raid leech" for about 2 or 3 casual raiding guilds, I just don't have the stomach for long raids, and have decided to not be in any guilds just because I only play once every week or two. (I do have some lower level characters I play, have a rogue and a hunter I play a coupel times a week. I find low level more fun than high level by a good deal.)

But you won't see me in Molten Core, because I would get too ansy being at the computer for 3+ hours. WoW is fun and all, but there's other things I'd rather be doing.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Desdan_Mervolam at [unixtime wrote:1157359756[/unixtime]]As I type this, I have a blaster in one hand and a lightsaber in the other...

That sounds so much like Second Life.

-Crissa
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Heh. I have a Second Life account, though I don't actually use it much. Really, it's a paraphrasing of a quote from (I believe) the 18th century.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.