Why are my avatars 'scary'?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Why are my avatars 'scary'?

Post by Crissa »

Why do my avatars always get negative comment, anyhow?

I work really hard on making them fast, snappy, and color balanced.

-Crissa
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: Why are my avatars 'scary'?

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I believe its the furry factor.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It's not as scary as the last one you had, centaurs intimidate me. (I'm mildly hippophobic, and centaurs look too close to horses for my liking.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

• second life
  • furry

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:It's not as scary as the last one you had, centaurs intimidate me. (I'm mildly hippophobic, and centaurs look too close to horses for my liking.)

Wait, you thought Crissa's other avatar looked like a horse?
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

That current one is a cute anthro horse. Best av yet.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I like the current horsemorph avatar. I considered getting one of them when I briefly flirted with SL. Of course, I'm a furry.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:Of course, I'm a furry.

Why would you admit that so readily?

Also, what is your 'fursona'?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1162934648[/unixtime]]It's not as scary as the last one you had, centaurs intimidate me. (I'm mildly hippophobic, ...)

Hehe! Me too.

-Crissa

SL statistics:
GDP: Between one and two billion dollars last year
Population: One million unqiue users; over 500,000 logged in in the last sixty days; 10-30K online at any time
Size: Approximately the same surface area as Amsterdam.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1162952218[/unixtime]]

Wait, you thought Crissa's other avatar looked like a horse?

As far as my phobia goes:

Actual horse > centaur > horse morph.

I remember a while ago my boss insisted on introducing me to his horses. I pride myself on not screaming like a little girl when the little one started nosing my back. (Even though it was only a young'n, a young quarterhorse still outweighs me by a good 500 pounds, give or take.)

My theory was that it was smelling my fear, but I was told that horses don't do that. I don't know why else it would be walking right up to me to and ignoring everyone else.

Edit: And also, what is this second life? I am aware of the somethingawful.com articles about it, but I don't actually consider that site a good news source.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Second Life is an MMO that mimics, well, life.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1163020049[/unixtime]]I remember a while ago my boss insisted on introducing me to his horses. I pride myself on not screaming like a little girl when the little one started nosing my back. (Even though it was only a young'n, a young quarterhorse still outweighs me by a good 500 pounds, give or take.)

My theory was that it was smelling my fear, but I was told that horses don't do that. I don't know why else it would be walking right up to me to and ignoring everyone else.

It's scared, you're scared, horses do things in groups, ya know?

Edit: And also, what is this second life? I am aware of the somethingawful.com articles about it, but I don't actually consider that site a good news source.

Second Life is a platform for interaction in a 3d rendered world. It's produced by Linden Labs, a technology company based in San Francisco.

In the world, you connect via a slim client - like a browser - and all content is delivered on the fly. You can upload textures, animations, audio clips - and link to audio and video streams. The world comes with active physics; when an object drops or bounces in the world, it acts and reacts to what you and other users do, in real time, rendered on the simulator. The metaverse comes alive with solid, three dimentional objects.

There's an active land market - as ownership over the horizontal space allows rezzing (creating, placing) of objects in the world. The more land, the more prims (primative 3d building blocks) that can be rendered on it. Also, there's a thriving currency exchange with Linden Labs struggling to put a hold on the inflating value of the in-world currency (last year US$3 == L$1000; today US$4 per). As well as many catolog and auction services.

The end-user client currently runs on Windows XP and MacOS, as well as an alpha client for Linux. Current plans include open-source on the client end, as well as third-party hosting for simulators. A puppeteering (animation) tool has been developed, and should be in the client by the end of the year; voice-chat, lip-syncing, and facial animations can be provided by third-party add-ons now.

^-^

It's free to sign up. Tho the Lucah avatar I have is about L$800 right now, and it's sporting a custom paint and mod job I did myself!

-Crissa

(Oh, and my spouse got hired there this year as a developer)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

So, it's not so much a game, more like a little interactive thing where you can customize your own area and stuff?

Sounds intresting, but I'll pass. Human interaction is actually my least favorite part of online gaming. (I would love WoW so much more if I could just have a warrior, a druid, a hunter, and a warlock to group with my mage so I could run instances by myself. But I think 5-boxing would be beyond my meager gaming capabilities.)

My antipsychotics keep me from flipping out under little provocation, but it doesn't really make me like people any more than I did previously. I just don't feel the need to scream obscenities at them now.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't think you'd do so well with that group, having no way to cure disease or dispel magic...

...In other words, you don't like the online thing at all, except the part about being able to constantly download updates?

-Crissa
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1162992586[/unixtime]]
Why would you admit that so readily?

Why not? Its the anonymous internet, scarecly matters what people think of you online.

I've been hearing about SL for a while. It sounds cool except for the social interaction part.

Crissa wrote:Tho the Lucah avatar I have

Is that the same Lucah as the one at FA?

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1163025339[/unixtime]]
...In other words, you don't like the online thing at all, except the part about being able to constantly download updates?

Actually, I hate that too, because the stupid peer to peer system Blizzard has confuses my computer to the point where I usually have to find an alternate source for my updates.

I like the game for the most part, I just wish I idn't ahve to deal with people. The lore, and the graphics, and the actual gameplay is pretty interesting.

Edit: How about this: If they took the basic story, zones, quests, et cetera, and instead made WoW an offline, party-based game, I would enjoy it more. I get irritated that I have to constantly kiss people's asses so I can get a Rod of the Ogre Magi for my mage. (And thus far, kissing people's asses isn't working, I've managed a grand total of two tribute runs, thus far. And the first time, a warlock ninja'd the +%1 crit hat that I wanted.)
Crissa
King

Re: Avatars...

Post by Crissa »

Offline WoW... Yeah, probably would be pretty popular, except the monthly fees. You pay fee! You get update! ...Maybe.

Going through, letsee...

• A HERO character Blue Girl the swimming champ and water telekinetic;Image
  • Old Nifty avatar; (I have blue eyes, blond hair, and enthusiam) Image
  • Icon from my Nethack mod; Image
  • Badge commission I made into an avatar; Image
  • Another comission; (this one doesn't even have nipples) Image
  • And then of course with the 'Support all Life' ribbon; Image
  • A sketch of myself by my spouse; (in which some people see more details than are actually in the image...) Image
  • A second image made by my spouse for me; Image
  • My AD&D 2nd avatar; (the one they skipped on the Wizards' board) Image
  • Level 60 Druid in Silithus; Image
  • Level 20 Druid in Darkshore; Image
  • A story-character pic my spouse made for me; Image
  • Then some Pokemon animations made from Qkut's fan drawings; http://crissa.twu.net/maria-electrode.gif
  • And people always see what isn't in the images...
    [FLASH=300,300,true,#fffff]http://crissa.twu.net/Qkut-maria-star-return.swf[/FLASH]

The funny thing is, there's not anything naughty in any of the images. Of course, I suppose that the coast here has different more than other places, which has gotten me into arguments before.

I made the second Life icons to look professional and approachable.

Image Image

-Crissa
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I had no idea "enthusiasm" could be used to mean "enormous bouncing boobies".

:uptosomething:

Game On,
fbmf
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

fbmf, if bouncing boobies are not the type of enthusiasm which this message board strives for, then we need to talk about changing priorities around here ...

:D
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I'm enthused about enormous bouncing boobies.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Breasts are highly overrated.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Furries does this turn you on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGbewHT7zKU&NR
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, it's cute and engaging... Hopefully it'll work for a child who speaks Japanese.

Would you like me to get you some English toilet training videos? I realize that you have to relearn alot of skills after brain injuries, but I didn't know it would help you.

-Crissa

Count Arioch the 28th
King

You know Crissa, people wouldn't poke fun at you so much if you didn't react the way you do.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Yeah, to be fair though its not like Waesel's post deserved an intelligent reply.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Then the high road would have been to not have tried to give it an intellegent reply. As opposed to trying to give it an intellegent reply, and failing.