2nd level Human Rogues scare the crap out of me.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

2nd level Human Rogues scare the crap out of me.

Post by User3 »

So, with an Cha 18, Persuasive feat, and Skill Focus Intimidate, a 2nd level rogue can have a +16 to Intimidate checks.

With three of them working on an enemy, they can Demolize just about anyone from shaken, to frightened, to panicked where he's cowing if he can't escape (like he's surround by three dudes and not allowed to take actions like Overrun cuz he's panicked). Its a perfect kill if you have a forth guy to stab your enemy in the face with a sharp stick.

Sure you have to make three checks a round(opposed vs a d20 + HD+Wis bonus), but you expected a perfect kill without a little work?

SRD wrote:Panicked: A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other actions. In addition, the creature takes a –2 penalty on all saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. If cornered, a panicked creature cowers and does not attack, typically using the total defense action in combat. A panicked creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.
Cowering: The character is frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering character takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class and loses her Dexterity bonus (if any).
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: 2nd level Human Rogues scare the crap out of me.

Post by Username17 »

That's how real people hunted bears in ancient times, so I don't have a problem with it. You had a bunch of people with sharpened sticks corner the bear and yell alot, and periodically someone would poke the bear when they thought they could get a shot in.

That sounds a lot like what you are proposing.

-Username17
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

It may not work that way under the RAW. The SRD doesn't specify whether Intimidate attempts by multiple people in the same round produce conditions worse than shaken. I can see an argument that it should work that way, but it looks like the DM's call unless there's something in the FAQ somewhere.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Absentminded_Wizard at [unixtime wrote:1089878126[/unixtime]]It may not work that way under the RAW. The SRD doesn't specify whether Intimidate attempts by multiple people in the same round produce conditions worse than shaken. I can see an argument that it should work that way, but it looks like the DM's call unless there's something in the FAQ somewhere.

It doesn't matter. If you become shaken more than once you go up to the next level of Fear. The fear stacking rules were apparently written by the Hamlet Typing Monkeys, but as written you essentially have a set of fear condition boxes, not unlike White Wolf Damage. Everytime you get more Fear when you already had a Fear condition, you move to a later box. Every time a Fear effect ends, you move to an earlier box. And that's completely independent of what any individual fear effect happens to say.

So if you collect enough results that make you shaken in one round, you do indeed become paniced on your own turn. At which point you run into the corner (provoking attacks of opportunity), and cower. Then their turns come around and your fear effects start popping off, which would bring you to normal by the time your next action happens, but they are free to try again at no penalty to get you back in the corner.

-Username17
Thoth_Amon
Journeyman

Post by Thoth_Amon »

Nobody puts baby in a corner!

Uh, Except three to four min maxxed intimidators!!

TA