Post by fbmf »

Linky!

Game On,
fbmf
User3
Prince

Re: D&D = Low Security Clearance in the IDF

Post by User3 »

Pretty funny. It is unfortunate how much "The Media" loves pretty pictures. I wouldn't give LARPers security clearance either, given the opportunity.

So, does anyonw know whether Israeli gamers are really all LARPers, or did Associated Press just skim of the 'creme de la merde?'
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Hmm. I wish the US army would adopt such a policy. I'd never have to worry about the draft, or losing any friends in a war.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

That's hilarious, because I am in the USN Naval Nuclear Power program (which requires a Confidential clearance and background check) and it is quite clear that I play D&D.

Furthermore, more than half of the sailors in my nuclear rating who have already been on deployment have played at least 3 games at one time or another.

Seriously, I have been in a gigantic grip of games lately because so many sailors play.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Its funny, because I have a security clearance for the work I do.

However, I do know that about half the people I game with probably shouldn't have one.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

But both of you work for the US gvernment, which is officially a secular institution. The article was about the IDF, which is a Jewish institution.

Imagine if Pat Robertson had any influence in what kind of security levels were assigned to D&D players. That's pretty much the situation there (only replace "crazy fundamentalist christians" with "crazy fundamentalist jews"). If you allow, nay require your army to be run by and for religious fanatics, dumb stuff happens.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the article felt the need to put a bunch of file photos of LARPers and label them as D&D players. So far as I know, and LARP is by definition not Dungeons and Dragons...

-Username17
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1110479859[/unixtime]]
Of course, that doesn't explain why the article felt the need to put a bunch of file photos of LARPers and label them as D&D players. So far as I know, and LARP is by definition not Dungeons and Dragons...

I would imagine it's because a DnD game doesn't look all that weird. The difference in looks between a standard TT DnD game played by adults and a typical poker night is the DnD game will typically involve more books and no monay. That's just plain too normal (and, frankly, it would be difficult to argue that things like "reading" and "not gambling" are worse than their opposites)
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

Imagine what would happen if you also told them you belonged to the SCA ...

Perhaps you'd get extra latrine-cleaning duties ...
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The Federal government is not really secular. Oh, it puts on a good show, but its not.

Do a Google search on "Faith-based Initiatives." The Federal government is giving out money to churches hand-over-fist, despite the fact that churches have historically run the most corrupt and inept of social programs.

But hey, when have facts ever gotten in the way of politics?
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1110575522[/unixtime]]The Federal government is not really secular. Oh, it puts on a good show, but its not.

Do a Google search on "Faith-based Initiatives." The Federal government is giving out money to churches hand-over-fist, despite the fact that churches have historically run the most corrupt and inept of social programs.

But hey, when have facts ever gotten in the way of politics?
It's even worse than that. Bush's programs are indeed liberally handing out that cash to American religious programs. And it's extremely easy for Christian churches and Jewish temples to score. But if you are a Muslim mosque, Buddhist temple, Sikh temple, or other niche religion (comparatively - to Christianity or the Jewish faith), you'll run into a lot of bureaucratic bullcrap and stalling tactics. There's been a number of investigative journalist reports on this specific problem of preferential treatment.

So the correct moniker is not Faith Based Initiatives, but Christian & Jewish Based Initiatives. (sigh)