The Truth about Tahoe

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: I hate it here.

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Heh. you gotta love people sometimes.

Ah well, still, I can't say that I wouldn't trade you in a second, if given the opportunity.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

...And if I never return to Tahoe, it will be too soon.

-Username17
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

So is your summer school thing done now? Or are there still some weeks in Tahoe to endure?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'm done with that part. Now I just have the MCATS on the 14th to prepare for and I can relax for real.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Congrats on surviving the experience, Frank!

When telling this story to your grandkids, you should end it with "...and I am still alive."

Game On,
fbmf
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1091891715[/unixtime]]I'm done with that part. Now I just have the MCATS on the 14th to prepare for and I can relax for real.

-Username17

I think, scratch that, know you'll be fine on this part. Good luck! :thumb:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

By the way... something they don't tell you about the MCATS is that by the time you add in all the time you spend standing around waiting for test information, or going throuhg identity checks, or waiting to get your booklet handed to you, and waiting for other people to correctly hand their booklet in...

The entire affair is ten hours long. And only six of those hours are spent actually furiously filling in bubbles. The rest of the time is spent waiting for the sun to burn out or the staff to finish explaining to you that you will in fact also put your name and birthday on the biological sciences answer sheet just like you did on the writing sample, the verbal reasoning, and the physical sciences packet before it.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1092536199[/unixtime]] or the staff to finish explaining to you that you will in fact also put your name and birthday on the biological sciences answer sheet just like you did on the writing sample, the verbal reasoning, and the physical sciences packet before it.

These repetitive procedures are however sadly, nay, tragicly, necessary.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

And that fact scares me eternally, Josh... I mean, these are medical students. I'm going to entrust my life to one of them someday. If they can't figure out how and where to put their names on the exams they're taking, what are they going to do to me when I get to the hospital?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

To be fair Maj, at this point they are just hopefull medical students. A lot of people take the MCAT and never get into medical school. A lot.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Well, then... What they need to do is make putting your name in fifty thousand places significant to the results of the exam. They spend a few minutes (rather than four hours) saying "Put your name wherever it asks you to" and if a student can't handle it, they probably won't be able to handle the rigorous studies of med school.

:D
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

As is, I think the idea is something similar. If you can't answer a question pertaining to the effects of reduced blood pressure on the hind legs of a relaxed or exercising dog after sitting in an uncomfortable chair for ten hours waiting for other people to read and follow repetitive instructions they probably don't want you being a doctor.

In short, I think they deliberately draw it out and are only one step more believable about it than if they called time in the middle and said "Look! Clowns!"

-Username17
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

I took a practice MCAT and roxxored it. But it was a 1998 one...they probably made the damn things harder by now. There was a fun question on the physical sciences section about an experiment in which a superheated liquid was used to plot the trajectories of particles.

Luckily I know that I'm not smart/dedicated/caring enough to be a doctor. I would rather watch humanity become extinct. Geneticist is much more fitting I think.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Does the MCAT test knowledge or analytical ability?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1093342455[/unixtime]]Does the MCAT test knowledge or analytical ability?

Yes. They give you word problems that you have to tease minor details out of in order to complete it, but at the same time you need to know the background science or it doesn't even help.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I like the sound of that.