Perilous System

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Oh, looks like counting URLs got broken in the forum conversion?

Normal links, then:
Rules
Character Sheet
Sample Characters
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Manxome,

In light of the fact that ranged weapons don't have very much range, and can be used perfectly well in melee, have you considered writing bows out of the game entirely? Or at least out of the basic ruleset.

Seriously, I'd find the current ranged combat rules much more believable if the default ranged weapon were javelin or thrown knife, perfectly reasonable in a classical antiquity kind of setting. You could always introduce actual bows as an exotic weapon at some point once you decided how to handle them.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

So I'm going to try to get some friends over to play one or two sessions of Perilous. Currently, I'm setting the game in the Shadowed Vales, a sliver of my old "Skylord's Tears" setting.

here are some sample monster statblocks, to see if I understand things properly:

STR 10 DEX 5 VIT 6
ART 6 WIL 6 SPR 1
Skills: Finesse 2; Damage 2; Parry 2
Equip: Zombie Slam, Zombie Flesh (12 Bludgeon/10 Pierce/8 Slash)
Attack: +7/12 (Bludgeon)
Defend: Parry +7/Dodge +5
Resist: 8/10/12 Slash/Pierce/Crush; 4/8/6/6 Fire/Cold/Elec/Magic
Techs: Directed, Opportunistic, Delaying

Skeletons

STR 6 DEX 10 VIT 3
ART 6 WIL 6 SPR 1
Skills: Finesse 2 Damage 2; Shield 2
Equip: Short Sword, Armor
Attack +12/8 (Piercing)
Defend: Block +12/Dodge +10
Resist: 6/8/4 SPC 8/4/6/6 FCEM
Techs: Fast, Sapping, Defensive

I guess technically I should give the skeletons some Sword skill so they can use thier maneuvers (the zombies are handwaved as they don't have a proper weapon anyway)

I'll post more monsters, and my adventure, when I have them.

Also, there's been some requests among my players for some slgiht mechanical differentiation between the races (Dwarf, Orc, Drow, and Gnome are the settings 4 PC races). My current plan to is give each race stat mins and maxes (in line with the currently possible stat arrays) and one or two culture-specific weapons.