Some Feats - Get Out of My Head!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

NoDot
Master

Some Feats - Get Out of My Head!

Post by NoDot »

Hello! I'm new to D&D (although I've lurked on forums for a while), although the games I've attempted to join (online-I probably wouldn't have the thought-speed for the tabletop) seem to have stalled almost.

I came here hoping to get these feats this newb has come up with out of my head on somewhere where they might be of use to someone, somewhere. They probably aren't balanced, but that's why I'm putting them here-someone might be able to balance them properly.

Wild Attack [Combat]
Prerequisite: Power Attack*
Benefit: For each point of additional damage from Power Attack (after applying modifiers), you instead add a number of damage dice equal to the base damage of the weapon you are using. This counts as the weapon's base damage and is multiplied on a critical.

(For example, a first-level warrior attacking an opponent with a Greatsword while Power Attacking for full would do 6d6+STR*1.5 damage, doubling on a critical.)

Awesome Damage [Combat]
Benefit: For every three points of BAB (rounded down), add another set of damage dice.

(For example, a warrior with three BAB wielding a Greataxe does 2d12 damage as a base, rather than 1d12.)

Supreme Expertise [Combat]
Prerequisite: Combat Expertise*, Improved Combat Expertise*
Benefit: Add you BAB to your AC as a Dodge Bonus with no attack penalty. This does not impede the bonus from (Improved) Combat Expertise.

Item Expertise [Combat]
Prerequisite: Combat Expertise*, Improved Combat Expertise*
Benefit: When using (Improved) Combat Expertise, select an item which you are currently using which adds to your AC and makes sense in this context and a subset of your AC bonus from (Improved) Combat Expertise. The bonus provided by the item is multiplied by the subset you chose from (Improved) Combat Expertise. This lasts for as long as (Improved) Combat Expertise normally lasts.

* I know RoW lets you instantly qualify for these, but I felt like being complete.

I know the last one in particular would push things off the RNG, but there is it. Same for Supreme Expertise. The first two might be close to balanced, although Wild Attack might make low-level combat into a Save-or-Die-like issue. (I'd have issues with it if it wasn't almost already actually effectively Save-or-Die in most cases. Like Color Spray...)

On the other hand, now they're out of my head!
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Re: Some Feats - Get Out of My Head!

Post by Catharz »

The second two feats would indeed push things off the RNG, as it tends to be much better defined for AC and attack bonuses than damage. They're about on the same level as a quiver of defending arrows.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I, for one, would like to know why a 1st level fighter gets 6d6 from a greatsword. Are they normally 3d6?
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

2d6 base, wielding in two hands means you'd normally add +2 for damage for -1 to attack. 2*2d6 = 4d6, so you have 6d6 total.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

2d6 extra is a full 5 points of damage above the norm. That's pretty huge.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

7 points, actually. 3.5*2=7
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Yes, but normally you get 2, so it's 5 points above what you normally get.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

How about a feat for using 2 greatswords, plus one more in the mouth?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You're not trying. A roll of duct tape could get one more on each leg, and with lubricant you could... never mind.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Unnecessary, as now that I think about it, a single two-handed weapon will now kill, or heavily maim, any enemy it hits...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

At higher levels, nothin wrong with that, NoDot.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Considering that melee combat is the last refuge for realism, since magic leaves it behind at level one and skills and ability scores after level five...

If it weren't for SoDs, I'd hate it.

And then there's the low levels...
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

NoDot at [unixtime wrote:1195723014[/unixtime]]Considering that melee combat is the last refuge for realism, since magic leaves it behind at level one and skills and ability scores after level five...

If it weren't for SoDs, I'd hate it.

And then there's the low levels...

I noticed a lot of people are linking to that article...
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Really?

------------

The reason the article is even link-worthy is because it says 19-if not 14-ranks in Sense Motive is enough for a Skill Feat to give Detect Thoughts or similar as a spell-like ability at will, if only on one target at a time...
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Is any of Alexanders work on things like diplomacy any good?
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

NoDot at [unixtime wrote:1195820706[/unixtime]]
The reason the article is even link-worthy is because it says 19-if not 14-ranks in Sense Motive is enough for a Skill Feat to give Detect Thoughts or similar as a spell-like ability at will, if only on one target at a time...

That's interesting, since Detect Magic is not only a feat ("Vatic Gaze", PHB2) with the requirement "Arcane caster level 9th", but Warlocks get this in their Crackerjack box for free pretty damned early.
Paladins get something similar, too, and really fuckin early: Detect Evil.

I'd like to see more feats that give spell abilities, but judging the level for balanced constant usage is tough.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1195721080[/unixtime]]At higher levels, nothin wrong with that, NoDot.
Ironically, I just realized that I forgot to include the fact that Wild Attack and Awesome Damage only affect melee damage. It's the reward for getting close to the enemy and hitting them with your Greataxe instead of throwing it.

On the other hand, you're now within melee range of an enemy that-if it survived-will want you dead.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

The Mobility and Spring Attack feats caught my eye. Here's a Tome version I though up in the past few minutes:

Mobile Attacker [combat]
You don't stay put during a fight.
Benefit: You gain a +4 Dodge Bonus to your AC against Attacks of Opportunity provoked by moving into, out of, or within a threatened area.
+1: Spring Attack - You may make a single melee attack with a +2 bonus to attack and damage during a normal move action. You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from your target for this movement. You must move at least five feet before and after the attack for this to take effect.
+6: Moving Attack - As a Full Round Action, you may take a normal move action and make a number of melee attacks against different opponents equal to your BAB. (Roll each attack separately.) These attack are each made with a +2 bonus to attack and damage. You must move at least five feet between attacks and you may not attack the same opponent twice. You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from the defenders during this movement.
+11: You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from enemies when you move into, out of, or within a threatened area. You gain a +4 Dodge Bonus to your AC during any turn in which you use Spring Attack or Moving Attack. Attacks made during Spring Attack or Moving Attack are made at a +4 bonus to attack and damage.
+16: Each attack during Moving Attack is made with full BAB.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

haha I was just thinking about that recently, reading through the Tome series wondering "did they address Spring Attack? there is a new Dodge and Mobility here, but no followup... was Spring Attack too good?"

I'd say delay the basic Spring Attack benefit until BAB 6, but that's just my opinion (for now). Maybe if someone can prove to me that chain-wielding ogres aren't able to slaughter shorter range warriors of their same level, I'd change my mind... or something...

Then again, there is some good synergy available, since using Spring Attack limits you to 1 strike (until higher levels) and works great with bringing melee builds up to par with ranged and spellcasters.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

The Spring Attack feat in the SRD is available at +4 BAB, so delaying it until +6 BAB isn't going to help.

Also, I presume Elusive Target was the new Dodge, but what was the new Mobility?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Juggernaught removes AoO for entering opponent's square, but there's probably more.
Check Iameki's skill feats, there are some that duplicate Mobility and even better.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

The new Mobility is giving most melee-combatants a decent number of skill ranks that include Tumble, in addition to the Edge (where you don't have to worry about it).
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Robilar's Gambit, Tome version:

Master of Opportunity [combat]
People make mistakes.
Benefits: You gain a +2 Dodge Bonus to you AC against Attacks of Opportunity.
+1: You gain two Attacks of Opportunity for each attack your BAB affords you.
+6: You gain the feat Robilar's Gambit as found in the PHB II, despite not meeting the Prerequisites. Also, you may make a Concentration check and us the result in place of your AC against Attacks of Opportunity.
+11: Robilar's Gambit is always considered active, and the fighting stance afforded by Robilar's Gambit no longer affords the opponent a bonus on attack and damage rolls.
+16: You may opt to avoid provoking an Attack of Opportunity when you would normally do so or only provoke an Attack of Opportunity from a specific person. Also, you may choose to make an Attack of Opportunity against an opponent's Attack of Opportunity, a la Rolibar's Gambit. These are decided at the time you declare the action that would provoke an Attack of Opportunity.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

NoDot wrote:Mobile Attacker [combat]
Benefit: You gain a +4 Dodge Bonus to your AC against Attacks of Opportunity provoked by moving into, out of, or within a threatened area.
+1: Spring Attack - You may make a single melee attack with a +2 bonus to attack and damage during a normal move action. You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from your target for this movement. You must move at least five feet before and after the attack for this to take effect.
+6: Moving Attack - As a Full Round Action, you may take a normal move action and make a number of melee attacks against different opponents equal to your BAB. (Roll each attack separately.) These attack are each made with a +2 bonus to attack and damage. You must move at least five feet between attacks and you may not attack the same opponent twice. You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from the defenders during this movement.
+11: You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from enemies when you move into, out of, or within a threatened area. You gain a +4 Dodge Bonus to your AC during any turn in which you use Spring Attack or Moving Attack. Attacks made during Spring Attack or Moving Attack are made at a +4 bonus to attack and damage.
+16: Each attack during Moving Attack is made with full BAB.
NoDot wrote:Master of Opportunity [combat]
People make mistakes.
+6: You gain the feat Robilar's Gambit as found in the PHB II, despite not meeting the Prerequisites. Also, you may make a Concentration check and us the result in place of your AC against Attacks of Opportunity.
+11: Robilar's Gambit is always considered active, and the fighting stance afforded by Robilar's Gambit no longer affords the opponent a bonus on attack and damage rolls.
+16: You may opt to avoid provoking an Attack of Opportunity when you would normally do so or only provoke an Attack of Opportunity from a specific person. Also, you may choose to make an Attack of Opportunity against an opponent's Attack of Opportunity, a la Rolibar's Gambit. These are decided at the time you declare the action that would provoke an Attack of Opportunity.
OK, so Master of Opportunity has a problem: the +6 ability to substitute a Concentration check for you AC in an AoO wouldn't work, since no melee classes have Concentration on their class list. Also, I think I'm going to rearrange Mobile Assault to fit in something else...

However, did I create the Tome version of DMM+Nightsticks here with Master of Opportunity+Blitz? I think control over AoOs might've been too much, since you now get free BAB to damage with Blitz at BAB+16. Perhaps that doesn't matter.

Anyway, here're the feats, reprinted:

Mobile Attacker [combat]
+11: You gain a +4 Dodge Bonus to your AC during any turn in which you use Spring Attack or Moving Attack. Attacks made during Spring Attack or Moving Attack are made at a +4 bonus to attack and damage. When using Mobile Attack, you may target the same individual more than once, but you may not attack from the same angle consecutively. (i.e., You may not go back and forth, but you may circle around and attack from different angles.)
+16: You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from enemies when you move into, out of, or within a threatened area. Each attack during Moving Attack is made with full BAB.

----

Master of Opportunity [combat]
People make mistakes.
+6: You gain the feat Robilar's Gambit as found in the PHB II, despite not meeting the Prerequisites.