New user here!

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Digital Zombie
NPC

New user here!

Post by Digital Zombie »

Hello all.

Found this board after reading Apocalypse World and feeling strange feelings of isolation from most of the internet stemming from my impression that it's a pile of steaming crap. Read a few threads about that and other topics and was generally happily surprised about the general tone and substance of the boards.

Hoping to be able to contribute to discussions at large and to ask for opinions and critique of some of my own ideas.

Cheers!

/DZ
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: New user here!

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Welcome
Digital Zombie wrote:Hello all.

Found this board after reading Apocalypse World and feeling strange feelings of isolation from most of the internet stemming from my impression that it's a pile of steaming crap. Read a few threads about that and other topics and was generally happily surprised about the general tone and substance of the boards.
Well, we do tend to think *everything* is a pile of steaming crap. But there is usually some real insight behind the angry profanity.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

The reason the Den gives people the vapors is that we actually tend to hold products accountable for failing to live up to their own billing, a habit that can be surprisingly rare in this hobby. People are so used to the DIY approach that RPG community as a whole has grown accustomed to buying "player aids" that maybe offer a little inspiration but don't really save you any time or address problems you couldn't figure out a solution to on your lonesome.

Which, ultimately, was my real big issue with Apocalypse World beyond all the bear fights I had with the infamous Silva. There just isn't a lot of substance to the game. There's no clever mini-games beyond the base resolution system so everything is just stage directions for you to playact with rather than anything related to system mastery. That wouldn't be absolutely fatal in and of itself, but upon finishing the book you also still have to collaboratively create the characters, opposition, factions and setting with your play group. And despite all the ranting Silva did about games needing to provide a solid structure and theme for play to revolve around he sure was quick to overlook that the game barely even had a genre--after all, even by 2010 there was a lot more to the post-apocalyptic "genre" than just Mad Max. So, ultimately, I consider Apocalypse World to roughly comparable to an overly long and slightly skeevy game of Cops 'n' Robbers, which rather invites the question of why I should fork over actual moneys for it.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Hello and welcome to the den.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.