The Obligatory Rules Thread, Take Two

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Given the strong personalities here, I don't really see banning non-gaming discussion as something that's going to be effective. I think the result will be massive wars in threads about gaming.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I've yet to really see a flame war over pure gaming in this board.

They're almost always started by some other real-world issue and people just plain not liking each other and being intolerant asshats.

But, people have mentioned they missed the good old days when they had 4E to bash.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

no, there have been flamewars started over gaming stuff. people here tend to express their opinions in rather strong and rhetorical ways.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'd like to also point out that banning real world topics would probably curtail some gaming discussion - especially on stuff like religion.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Maj wrote:I'd like to also point out that banning real world topics would probably curtail some gaming discussion - especially on stuff like religion.
Discussing religion in the context of gaming would be fine. Say somebody wants to create a heroic organization based on the Church in her game, and someone else takes exception to the positive light the Church is cast in.

Creating the game organization based on the real organization would be fine. Ranting about how it isn't that way in real life wouldn't. That seems fairly clearly defined.

Say somebody is trying to solicit examples or real-world political parties to help create factions in her aWoD game, and people get into an argument over how the Party really operates. That's not clear-cut at all, and would probably be an allowable flamefest until the attacks got too personal.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'd like to point out that, it seems to me at least, many of us came here because we were sick of forums that babied everyone like that. We were sick of forums where we had to tip toe around the users and the mods. We came here because we could yell and scream and fight should the need arise, and because Fbmf allowed us more or less free rein until it was absolutely necessary to step in and shut something down.

I propose that rather than add another rule, which would, to some extent, act counter to the reason we post here, we simply agree to move non-gaming discussions and arguments and wars to their own thread in MPSIMS.

Seriously, what's so fucking hard about that?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

That nobody would do it, yourself included.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I tried it before. People started flaming me even more after doing so. It doesn't seem to be effective.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

really? It was effective when I did it.

We just need to actually do it.

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

DragonChild wrote:Now? Now anyone who wants to use the Den for actual gaming stuff can't, because a select few idiots are constantly dragging every topic off-topic for their own personal feud.
Thirded or whatever. There are too many feuds that migrate from thread to thread. The most damaging being PL vs Frank since they're both capable of making worthwhile posts. Zinegata vs various is annoying but I don't lose anything by not reading his posts.

I see no way to solve the problem short of starting a new messageboard though. If people wanted to calm the fuck down they would've done it when they noticed the board getting steadily more aggressive.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well... I don't know. Pretty much everyone agrees that what's going on now is shit. We're just letting anger and offense get the better of us and we're not thinking. It's possible to fix this without making a List of Things What Can't Be Said, because we know it needs to be, and we know how, we agree on what the best course of action would be (moving arguments to new threads and not derailing) we just need to grow the fuck up and do it. We need to cram down the anger long enough when we're about to derail a thread, or have started to, and click three buttons (at most) to go start a new one, and we need to be adults who don't let arguments from other threads stifle new ones.

I know I was being one of the childish dicks in this last one, and I'm fessing up to it and saying "I'll try and do better." That's all we can really do at this point. But hell, maybe what we need is a bit of encouragement or reinforcement in the manner of if someone starts derailing a thread, and refuses to take the argument somewhere else, they get a temp ban, to cool off and let the thread progress.

I know Fbmf doesn't like to publicize mod decisions in that kind of situation, but maybe a "Hey, fuckhead, you're on time out for (X) days, go cool off, rest of you, get back to the original topic" post when needed would help. And really, it's up to him what he decides to do. Honestly, I trust him to do whatever he thinks is necessary or right, and while I may not like the decision, I like the forum that he's given us, so, you know, I'll deal.
Last edited by Prak on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Zinegata wrote:I've yet to really see a flame war over pure gaming in this board.

They're almost always started by some other real-world issue and people just plain not liking each other and being intolerant asshats.
On the merits of Centaurs as Player Characters.

Which is better, 3D6 or D20?

Denners may sometimes bicker over little things like sexuality or politics, but they really sharpen the claws over probability in game mechanics :tongue:
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Prak wrote:they get a temp ban, to cool off and let the thread progress.
I'm all for temporary bans (like 24/48 hours). After seeing how effective they were in restoring my husband back to me without penalizing him long-term, I'm so there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
I do agree that the cause of a lot of the grief on the boards is differences in political and/or social ideology. So I say we try it for a while and see what happens. As of 12:01 a.m. tonight (CST), we will cease and desist all political/social commentary (by my definition, not yours) discussion for about a month. I will let you know when the ban ends officially, but it should be somewhere around September 1.

Also, please check the OP for an update of another kind. Effective immediately, death threats and death wishes against people will no longer be tolerated. Death wishes regarding ideas and concepts are perfectly acceptable.
[/TGFBS]
Last edited by fbmf on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Am I still allowed to wish that Mike Mearls gets kicked out of D&D FOREVER and uses his acquired money to get into a respected community college and he learns some math and then has a successful job balancing numbers and raises a family full of happy and healthy kids?

I know it's dark, but I need to know these things. :hatin:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

**pinches bridge of nose**

Yes, Lago, that would be fine.

Game On,
fbmf
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I am as of now registering my complete disgust with this decision, and a formal complaint.

EDIT: Not complete disgust, only disgust, for example, the probationary nature indicates a thoughtful overlord willing to admit to consider results.

Also, if that's what you want, you should just extend it to religion too, since that's basically the same thing. And then you can just delete the entire subforum that consists of 95% politics and religion discussions.
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

fbmf wrote:[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Effective immediately, death threats and death wishes against people will no longer be tolerated. Death wishes regarding ideas and concepts are perfectly acceptable.
[/TGFBS]
Do people even do death threats/wishes any more? The last time I remember it is when you rightly slapped me down for a very childish wish against Mearls.

And by "regarding ideas and concepts", do you mean it's okay to say "The skill challenge system/polymorph rules/whatever is fucking stupid and should be shot down and buried so deep no-one ever accidentally finds it"? I'm just a little confused over your wording there.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Koumei wrote:
Effective immediately, death threats and death wishes against people will no longer be tolerated. Death wishes regarding ideas and concepts are perfectly acceptable.
[/TGFBS]
Do people even do death threats/wishes any more? The last time I remember it is when you rightly slapped me down for a very childish wish against Mearls.
It happens. It has happened recently.
And by "regarding ideas and concepts", do you mean it's okay to say "The skill challenge system/polymorph rules/whatever is fucking stupid and should be shot down and buried so deep no-one ever accidentally finds it"? I'm just a little confused over your wording there.
That is what I have in mind, yes.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:Do people even do death threats/wishes any more?
If you include the DIAF not wishes not threats, I have done at least one in the last month, probably a lot more. I like DIAF.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I do agree that the cause of a lot of the grief on the boards is differences in political and/or social ideology. So I say we try it for a while and see what happens. As of 12:01 a.m. tonight (CST), we will cease and desist all political/social commentary (by my definition, not yours) discussion for about a month. I will let you know when the ban ends officially, but it should be somewhere around September 1.
[/TGFBS]
Balls timing with the .au federal election on. So many bads to complain about.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I do agree that the cause of a lot of the grief on the boards is differences in political and/or social ideology. So I say we try it for a while and see what happens. As of 12:01 a.m. tonight (CST), we will cease and desist all political/social commentary (by my definition, not yours) discussion for about a month. I will let you know when the ban ends officially, but it should be somewhere around September 1.[/TGFBS]
Does that include news, MPIetc forum?

-Crissa
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Crissa wrote:
I do agree that the cause of a lot of the grief on the boards is differences in political and/or social ideology. So I say we try it for a while and see what happens. As of 12:01 a.m. tonight (CST), we will cease and desist all political/social commentary (by my definition, not yours) discussion for about a month. I will let you know when the ban ends officially, but it should be somewhere around September 1.[/TGFBS]
Does that include news, MPIetc forum?

-Crissa
Of course.

Game On,
fbmf
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That sucks.

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Agreed.