The Obligatory Rules Thread, Take Two

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I find it pathetic that such a rule is needed, but at the same time, I'm glad that fbmf spends the time and effort trying to find solutions to keep everyone as happy as can be expected.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Are any of these more or less appropriate ways to ask for a person's non-participation in a discussion?

1) PM?
2) Thread title?
3) Text in the first post?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thread title is most appropos, I would think. My as well give the poster as much heads up as possible.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Can we please make it against the rules to disagree with correct maths? Maths is perfectly objective so theres no danger of stifling opinions
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I think that sets too much of a precedent in terms of control - way more than desired. Remember: that, if done, won't be just for 1 user being particularly problematic - it'll be a forum rule. Meanwhile, thread titles are editable, right (if you get what I mean)? Also, ignore (the literal use of the term).
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Draco_Argentum wrote:Can we please make it against the rules to disagree with correct maths? Maths is perfectly objective so theres no danger of stifling opinions
Correct maths is one thing, relevant maths is another. It's like how people can cite statistical evidence both for and against, say, global warming, and both sets of evidence will be perfectly accurate, but not necessarily both relevant.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Personally I dislike the ignore function more than an extra rules restriction. A lot of good stuff has come from people arguing with someone they don't like. Its not friendly but it does have people refining their positions to be more eloquent. At least until it degenerates into shouting insults.

Incorrect maths OTOH just means there are posts hanging around that are factually wrong and responses explaining simple maths. I don't come here for a maths lesson.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Irrelevant posts deleted.
[/TGFBS]
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I must admit, a rule against arguing against maths might get me banned, as I don't always believe the math being applied is correct.

-Crissa
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Thats why I said disagreeing with correct maths. Disagreeing with its relevance is a different matter.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, but what if I'm wrong?

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

As much as I think people who cannot perform basic math are not worth reading - I'm against any hard and fast rule about incorrect math. Mistakes happen, but more importantly, ambiguities show up in even simple statements:

Another board I frequent has an annoying meme about what -12 = ??

And the correct answer is -1 because the technically correct order of operations is to interpret that as the negation of one squared, rather than the more commonly assumed squaring of negative one - which should be expressed as (-1)2

With common assumptions 2+2 = 4. But those common assumptions are not universal: "I meant the + as string concatenation"; "We're working in trinary here"; and "I was quoting Pazio's design philosophy" are reasonable explanations for why it may not within a given post.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

By request...

[TGFBS]
There has been a change in the CoC. The STAY OUT OF THE THREAD IF ASKED rule has been reinstated.
[/TGFBS]
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I would like to submit a potential rules change for when Gencon weekend is over and mods are around..

I was wondering if we would institute a hard "No non-gaming discussion" rule?

I know that I am not the first to suggest that, but I feel that this forum is floundering because there's too many low blows, too many personal attacks. I am wondering if a back-to-basics focus on Gaming might do this forum a little bit of good?

I am aware I overshare more than anyone here. I am willing to risk potential warnings and bannings if the board will be improved by that. Thank you.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I approve and endorse this statement.

No, seriously. Arguments with Count aside, it's a good idea.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It would have prevented CeilingCat from leaving, so I can't say it's a bad idea.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I'd like to see the rules cut down on stupid, useless bickering. I have no problem when people fight, but frankly, if this keeps up nobody will be posting here in about a year. Sure, we have the reputation of being "mean", but it started with being mean to other people. And back in the old days, people would agree in one thread, and disagree in another, and things would be fine, and nobody would carry stuff over. Sure, Frank and RC went at it a lot, but there was never any hard feelings.

Now? Now anyone who wants to use the Den for actual gaming stuff can't, because a select few idiots are constantly dragging every topic off-topic for their own personal feud.

Fuck this noise. Start the bannings.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Banning users seems excessive, but a rule banning non-gaming discussion on the gaming boards specifically seems totally reasonable.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:It would have prevented CeilingCat from leaving, so I can't say it's a bad idea.
Cielingcat left because her crazy turned itself up to 11, not because of anything any particular person said or did.

While she was involved in an off-topic, multi-person flamewar, by the end she had defined anyone and everyone who didn't 100% agree with her subjective feelings and hopes about her personal situation as being "fake allies" who were no better than enemies. Maybe not discussing sexuality and medicine here could have kept her from burning out, but I'm guessing she would have been venting somewhere, and once she pushed her unilateralism that far she was incapable of having a conversation on the internet about anything.

As for taking flame wars from one thread to another, I'm in general against it. And it has gone way overboard. I currently have Zinegata on ignore and he still eats up too much of the threads.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

FrankTrollman wrote:As for taking flame wars from one thread to another, I'm in general against it. And it has gone way overboard. I currently have Zinegata on ignore and he still eats up too much of the threads.

-Username17
I don't like to start fights but will bring them to bloody total war-ish conclusons :P.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Zinegata wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:As for taking flame wars from one thread to another, I'm in general against it. And it has gone way overboard. I currently have Zinegata on ignore and he still eats up too much of the threads.

-Username17
I don't like to start fights but will bring them to bloody total war-ish conclusons :P.
Yeah, that tends to be a common 'quality' among Gaming Den members.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

CatharzGodfoot wrote: Yeah, that tends to be a common 'quality' among Gaming Den members.
True. But I suspect the reason why Frank thinks I post a lot is because I not only fight "total war-ish" arguments, but because I end up fighting multiple ones at the same time.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Or you post a reply to each and every post in a thread, Zin.

-Crissa
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Speaking as someone that so far has been uninvolved (and thus can offer a pretty good facsimile of a random visitor's opinion), I'd support a limited form of this. An absolute ban on non-gaming material might be going just a bit too far, but I would like to see a dramatic reduction in off-topic flame wars. Having to sort through them to find meaningful content is boring and it means that I miss any insightful comments made by the people I have ignored.

On-topic flame wars are perfectly fine, though. Those are fun and meaningful.

Also, if implementing a ban on just flame wars is too difficult (as I expect it would be), I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and ban all non-gaming, at least until people stop behaving like peculiarly eloquent /b/tards.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

We have a perfectly good off topic board and I think it would be best if the gaming discussion was separated from the non-gaming discussion.