The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
The Obligatory Rules Thread, Take Two
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> About the Gaming Den
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirak
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:
More often than not, I've found language filters more a pain in the ass - especially when they go off due to a typo - than helpful. It's a hindrance to clear communication.

I agree. Though I'd rather suffer under the injustice that is the word filter than languish without the cold pool of water amidst a desert that is this great forum!

:WTF: OK, what in hell did I just channel?
JonSetanta
King

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um... Shakespeare? Viking

FrankTrollman wrote:
Scaling feats were just a bad idea. I'm sorry I wrote them.
shirak
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sigma999 wrote:
Um... Shakespeare? Viking

I was thinking more like someone who writes corny love novels. I don't have enough thou's to be Shakespeare. I mean, it's the one thing I like about the guy, it would suck royally to be him without the cool factor.
tzor
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

shirak wrote:
:WTF: OK, what in hell did I just channel?

Probably Thomas Jefferson. John Adams would be more blunt, Franlyn would be more witty, and Washington would be terse, to the point, and of course you would get a bill for it.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:
Sigma wrote:
Filter? What filter?

Certain words are filtered on the boards - fuck used to be one of them. I'm not exactly sure what the other words are because I generally don't use words that require filtering, and when they do come up, I have no way of distinguishing one word from another because they're replaced by a big [EDITED].

I believe some racial epithets are in the censor, as well as a derogatory term for homosexuals. The latter came up once when Frank used a word that contained the term, but was completely unrelated. It either got removed or revised so that it wouldn't trigger when within other words.

Of course, it could be the case that there is no filter at all. We don't exactly have a serious problem here with things that might otherwise be censored. The incident I mentioned in the previous paragraph is the only time I can recall ever seeing an [EDITED] tag on any thread ever, and that wasn't even intentional.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was a different time when Frank had a typo on "accounting" and it appeared as "aco[EDITED]ing", I think. In that case, at least, it wasn't hard to figure out what word was being filtered.
MrWaeseL
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That word is also in my sig.
Crissa
King

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always get annoyed that gay isn't filtered yet lesbian usually is.

-Crissa
Neeek
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crissa wrote:
I always get annoyed that gay isn't filtered yet lesbian usually is.

Lesbian is usually filtered? That's odd. Why would that be filtered?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most likely because Gay can also mean happy and carefree.

Then again, now that I think of it, the term Lesbian can also apply to a resident of the island of Lesbos (which I beleive pertains the the etymology of the word, refering to a lesbian poetess that was also a lesbian. But I may be wrong on that account.)

Either way, I don't see why either should be filtered, seeing as neither are slurs of any sort.
tzor
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose I should throw my 2 cents in. Because people are stupid? No really, I've never seen lesbian used in a derogotory manner. "That's so lesbian?" Not done.

I see that no one ever talks about the "Lesiban 90's" or "Lebian Parie" but that's not a reason to have it on the filter. I can think of a whole number of words that might be on that filter but not lesbian. (In Key West, which does have a gay/lesiban community there was a lesbian event on the same week as a motorcycle event. We traditionally called it B&D week.)
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: FBMF Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arioch wrote:
Then again, now that I think of it, the term Lesbian can also apply to a resident of the island of Lesbos (which I beleive pertains the the etymology of the word, refering to a lesbian poetess that was also a lesbian. But I may be wrong on that account.)

You're right. Her name was Sappho. Nobody's sure whether she was actually a "practicing" lesbian, but she was known for erotic poetry about women.

Actually, this whole thing reminds me of high school world lit. class. There was some Beavis and Butthead laughter when reading the beginning of the Iliad, where it mentions the number of Lesbians in the Greek forces.
Jerry
Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Obligatory Rules Thread, Take Two Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fbmf wrote:
As long as you are making fun of the "idea", and not the posters themselves, knock yourself out. No referencing specific posters in your tirade though, please.

[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]

What about making fun of "real" people, and not posters?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Example?

Game On,
fbmf
Jerry
Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fbmf wrote:
Example?

Game On,
fbmf

Like all the times the posters make fun of Mike Mearls, Monte Cook, and other such game designers. (Look at Voss' signature, for example)
Crissa
King

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Public figures are under a different set of rules than private... And as those people have their names on the cover, they get treated slightly differently.

Still, I don't think we should encourage made up quotes when we have real ones to make fun of.

-Crissa
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jerry wrote:
fbmf wrote:
Example?

Game On,
fbmf

Like all the times the posters make fun of Mike Mearls, Monte Cook, and other such game designers. (Look at Voss' signature, for example)

I am mostly okay with that as long as it is their ability to write a fair and balanced gaming system that is being ragged on, and not them personally.

Game On,
fbmf
Amra
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So... we're saying there's still a moratorium on calling other posters names, yes? I'd just like to get that straight. Not that I've got anyone in particular in mind Wink
ckafrica
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

double post

Last edited by ckafrica on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ckafrica
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we ask individual members not participate in a discussion?

Last edited by ckafrica on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Elennsar
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is "respect the wishes of other users" a rule or guideline here?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ckafrica wrote:
Can we ask individual members not participate in a discussion?

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Certainly, but they are under no obligation to obey.

However, POSTING in a thread where you have been POLITELY asked not to go, and not contributing anything other than "Ha! Ha! You asked me not to show up and I did!" and/or saying the same things that caused the last thread to evaporate into shit is trolling, and trolling is against the CoC.

The key concepts here are:
(A)to ask POLITELY for said poster to ignore your thread, even if it means taking five to meditate and overriding your desire to e-bitch-slap them before starting said thread.
(B)to understand that I can not and will not lock them out of the thread. They can read it to their little heart's content. They can even respond/contribute if they can do so without trolling (as defined above and/or by the CoC).

A reminder to all:

Please do not feed the trolls! Report them, and Ramnza and/or I will deal with it. As always, give us time. As the regulars know, we are not on duty 24/7.

[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elennsar wrote:
Is "respect the wishes of other users" a rule or guideline here?

We wouldn't have much of a debate forum if it were a hard and fast rule, but since we all know what specific context you are putting this in, please see my answer above.

Game On,
fbmf

Last edited by fbmf on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elennsar
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At what point is the line between a vigorous debate and an insultfest with no productive benefit to the board drawn?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Do not bring your argument into MY rules thread. Duke it out through PMs if you like.

Elennsar, in reference to you question above: If you believe you are being insulted or mistreated, report the post and I will deal with it.
[/TGFBS]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> About the Gaming Den All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: