SAGAish skill system

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

SAGAish skill system

Post by ckafrica »

I've been scratching my head over how to get rid of having to allocate skill points, which I find annoying, and SAGA's way which gives people the chance to have ridiculously high starting bonuses by taking skill training and focus. So how does this sound.

-Get number of trained skills equal to base skill points of your class plus INT bonus. These are all automatically at max rank for your level.
-ALL other skills are at max cross-class rank for your level.
-You can only select skills to be trained that are on class skill list but you can save some from first to apply at later levels in case you cross class
-you get an extra trained skill the same level as you gain a new feat which can be applied to any skill (This is the main one I have the question mark on)

Any thoughts or ideas?
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Re: SAGAish skill system

Post by CalibronXXX »

ckafrica at [unixtime wrote:1192205162[/unixtime]]-ALL other skills are at max cross-class rank for your level.

Why is the barbarian competent at forgery and knowledge(nobility and royalty)? Why is the wizard competent at survival and jump? Why is the plate-clad cleric of St. Cuthbert competent at bluff and move silently?

I don't like it.

How I do it.