Church Inquisitor--Better than you think?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Church Inquisitor--Better than you think?

Post by Lago_AM3P »

The Church Inquisitor gains immunity to a lot of the effects in the game that are cheesy/insta kill, like gate and trap the soul.

They also get to make will saves against illusions AT A GLANCE, which kicks nine kinds of ass. The +4 bonus to dispel checks is also a very nice touch. And a pretty rockin' skill list.

What do you, the gentle reader, think?
User3
Prince

Re: Church Inquisitor--Better than you think?

Post by User3 »

I think the best part is that you can take it as your 4th level, assuming you have a way to make the Knowledge (arcana) requirements (Knowledge domain, Education, etc).

This means you can be a Cleric 3/Inquisitor 3 (pierce illusions) and still get a normal PrC progression in something else (or just stick with Inquisitor, which is pretty nice).

-Catharz
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I haven't really gone through the CD very well yet, Inquisitor isn't one that's really well known to me. (I was like "What? STILL can't be Lawful evil? Next.")

However, that does sound pretty good to me so far, I'll have to take a second look.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Church Inquisitor has always been really good. You get a perfectly decent Prestige Domain, and some nifty immunities. It rarely comes up in conversation because:

1> It doesn't match its name very well. Based on its actual abilities it should be a Sacred Detective or something.

2> It doesn't do anything. Which is to say that its abilties all stop other peoples' abilities and as such only have any effect if your DM happens to send those kinds of attacks your way.

It sort of has the reverse Kensai dilemma. It's really hard to make a "Church Inquisitor Build" because its actual powers are that you'll kick all kinds of ass in many specific adventures, rather than giving you any kind of numerical bonuses to something that you were going to do yourself.

Very nice, but also somewhat frustrating if the DM just sends Hill Giants after you in larger and larger numbers.

-Username17
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

I'm personally a fan of the unnaturally phat skill list and getting some of the most important parts of mind blank way in advance (character level 8!), and then getting an ability that makes you immune to most of the cheese combos in the game.

What about you guys?