Balancing/Flavorizing the EQ system

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Balancing/Flavorizing the EQ system

Post by User3 »

This is a pretty rough idea - I thought it up half an hour ago waiting for my sister to finish her riding lesson. The terminology I'm making up is really retarded, and I ramble a bit. Anyway,The idea seems pretty good to me, and so I figured I toss it up to be roasted :D

So, characters are designed to be balanced with a certain amount of EQ at their level. This is a problem, because characters can craft EQ (and stay at the same level), DMs can accidentally give out too mch or too little, the value of random gear varies hugely, and realistic economies mix with the D&D magic item economy like oil an water.

This is not news, I have seen it discussed here before.

Anyway, my 'fix' is as follows: Players start with an amount of GP value in EQ 'futures' equal to their starting gold. They also gain a (small) amount of GP in relation to their starting class, etc.
They can 'Invest' their EQ futures in any gear they carry by either wearing it long enough or specifically practicing with the item. This will turn their gear into a magic item of the appropriate value (no Masterwork neccesary).
When they level up, they gain the appropriate value of EQ futures, and can immediately upgrade any EQ they have been wearing.

This means that every character will have an appropriate amount of wealth for their level. However, it creates a few problems...

EQ is a reward: Well, when a character is attuned to EQ long enough to invest futures in it, the eq is permenently imprinted. A sword forged by the weaponsmith Dorfboggle bought by James Splortnapkin will eventually become the legendary sword of Sir Splotnapkin.

Does this mean that a pesant picking up the sword of Sir Splortnapkin suddenly gains all of the benefits that the legendary knight gained? Not unless he is of a high enough level to spend enough futures to attune it.
However, as the sword is imprinted it will always have all the same characteristics, although it can still be upgraded by another character.
This means that items wielded by heroes have some added intrinsic value, but no defined intrinsic value beyond the nonmagical.

Single-use items: These should be rare. I'm thinking of either making them artifacts or requiring that a character using a single-use item must spend 1/5 the item's value in XP before then can use the futures they invested in it again. I'm leaning towards making them artifacts.

Artifacts: Artifacts don't count against a character's gp futures limit, and immediately grant all abilities to anyone without attunement (well, unless they don't). Artifacts, as usual, break the system. But this lets me give my players a Decanter of endless water, which I like (they could attune one anyway, but most probably wolden't want to 'waste' the 12k).

Attunement: Attuning an item requres practicing with it for a set amount of time. I'm not sure how long. The process of attuning to a new item includes un-tuning the appropriate eq value in futures from ther stuff. Attuning previously-owned EQ should be much faster then creating your own from scratch.

Vow of poverty: This feat allows a character to invest in themself as if they were the appropriate types of EQ. It also has the normal roleplaying restrictions. Be warned that barring extraordinary circumstances a character can't un-attune themself to re-allocate gp futures.

Nonmagical items still function as normal, and have (variable) gp costs as normal.

So, how does that sound???

-Catharz
Essence
Knight-Baron

Re: Balancing/Flavorizing the EQ system

Post by Essence »

It sounds like there's never a reason for a PC to use someone else's old, legendary blade -- because the abilities are pre-decided, and there's no difference in cost between attuning to a pre-decided weapon and simply investing enough futures in a non-magical one to make it exactly the magical sword that you want it to be.

Other than that, it's good at a glance.