A warrior-type will not suck if...

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

A warrior-type will not suck if...

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Can we make a quick list of PrCs that will make a warrior character Not-Suck? This can include 1-level dips.

Off of the top of my head:

Maho Buijin
Singh Rager
Kishi Charger
Iaijutsu Master (actually broken)
Blade Dancer (the speed bonus is huge)
Shiba Protector (the only decent 3/4ths BAB warrior PrC ever published)
Knight of the Middle Circle
Exotic Weapon Master
Dervish
Lasher (the amount of reach you can get is huge if you grow a size)
3.0E Drunken Master, which seriously doubled your walking speed ALL THE TIME if used right. Hint: not for attacking.
... I'm running out. Someone help me.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: A warrior-type will not suck if...

Post by Username17 »

How is Dervish supposed to help?

:shrug:

You left off Frenzied Berserker, and Planar Champion.

-Username17
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Cavalier, if Ride-by works.

Dervish lets you move, and get massive numbers of attacks, at the same time. It would be really cool w/ SA, WS, and/or Favored Enemy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Um... Dervish lets you do double damage once a fvcking day after investing in it for half your carear. That's like if wizards were expected to put all spellcasting on hold for 10 levels while they picked up a prestige class that terminated with getting contingency.

But yes, Cavalier or Halfling Outrider can both be effective if your DM house-rules charge in some way so as to allow ride by attack to do something.

-Username17
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

True, which is why I don't think the class is all that. But at least you can do someting cool, even if not that often. Save it for the BBEG, and at least you can talk about how you took down teh villain, instead of talking about how cool it was the cleric raised you while the wizard won w/ save or dies.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

I should take the dervish off of the list. I only put it up there because you can full attack and end up being further away than a 5' step can reach, so it's like a super spring attack.

However, you get the same effect with reach weapons, so I'm taking it back.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

When you get some free time, would you explain what makes each of those classes good?
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

I'm wondering about the Planar Champion.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Planar Champions get immunity to some basic anti-warrior abilities - incorporeality, invisbility, etherealness. There's not much reason to see more than four levels of this class, but the ability to survive on any plane and fight just about any monster keeps the warrior character viable for many more levels than they would otherwise be.

-Username17
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Maho Buijin- You get iterative attacks at -3 and get an OMG huge attack bonus all the time.

Singh Rager- Allows lawfully-aligned characters to rage, combine two relatively crap abilities into a fairly decent one, and grants pounce without having to perform sexual favors for a druid.

Kishi Charger- Full mounted attack (unnerfed) and some frankly huge movement and attack/damage bonuses.

Iaijutsu Master (actually broken)- There are builds out there where you can literally do tens of thousands worth of damage to an opponent with a good iajutsu focus, and unlike the Hulking Hurler you get some flexibility with your levels.

Shiba Protector (the only decent 3/4ths BAB warrior PrC ever published)- This is only because they get an ability where they add their wisdom modifier to all attack and damage rolls. If you're a paladin, this (and the save bonuses) are totally worth losing the BAB point. I can't really evaluate the ability you gain at tenth level where, 10 times a day, you replace the value of another ability with the highest one. This takes awaken (or simply polymorphing into a firlborg) cheese to a whole new level.

Knight of the Middle Circle- You get a flat +2 to attack or AC, some saves, and some mild spellcasting. For one level, it's all good.

Exotic Weapon Master- You get flurry of blows with spiked chains. Joy. If you are willing to stomach the -2 penalty for inappropriate weapon size, you can choose the stunt that lets you dish out 2x your strength modifier. Obviously you want to polymorph, where your normal 42 strength will translate into an extra 8 points of damage.

Lasher (the amount of reach you can get is huge if you grow a size)- Enough said. You also get extra attacks with a rather hefty weapon and some okay (if silly) abilities.

3.0E Drunken Master, which seriously doubled your walking speed ALL THE TIME if used right. Hint: not for attacking.- In 3.5E, you make iterative attacks as a monk (means: flurry), you get an always-on rage, a save that warriors rarely see, a hefty grapple check bonus, and you get gigantic bonuses for declaring your three-section staff as an improvised weapon.

Unsurprisingly, most of the PrCs came from Oriental Adventures. Yay.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago wrote:and unlike the Hulking Hurler you get some flexibility with your levels.

I don't understand this statement. As long as you keep getting caster levels before you take Hulking Hurler, it doesn't much matter what classes you have. I mean, you could be a Gondian Techsmith right up until you took Hulking Hurler and still do tremendous damage.

Point of order about the Lasher: You don't get reach. You can make attacks of opportunity against enemies within five feet - not enemies within the range of your whip. The Death Spiral is batshit nuts when you first get it (15 foot radius save-or-die that spares allies against a save DC of like 50), but the ability is only once per day, and the ability to automatically take out all enemies within 15 feet once per day doesn't mean jack by the time you hit 20th level.

-Username17
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Thanks for explaining.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

I don't understand this statement. As long as you keep getting caster levels before you take Hulking Hurler, it doesn't much matter what classes you have. I mean, you could be a Gondian Techsmith right up until you took Hulking Hurler and still do tremendous damage.

I was really more referring to the retarded, half-ogre Hulking Hurlers. Not the awesome-possum archmage ones.

Lasher: Sho' 'nuff.