User3
Prince

Critiques accepted...

Post by User3 »

MrWaeseL
Duke

Re: Critiques accepted...

Post by MrWaeseL »

I don't have permission to access it. That's a pretty big point of critique right there...
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I think you have to register for the Dungeon Magazine website for the link to work.

It works for me.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Good writeup. I might try to incorporate the inn into Balefire (city of lanterns) from Dragon 322.

The feats look good, slightly weak but on that edge of 'I'm not sure if I would want this for my Sorc.'
I really don't get why the spell slot isn't sliding, however. The whole D&D idea of 'great power comes to those who wait' really just pisses people off. I mean, the rest of the party has to support the waiting guy while he sucks, and then he ends up totally out-shining them.

Make things scale, I say!

The PrC, however, just seems like a slightly lamer MotAO.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The feat doesn't scale because it stacks so well with itself. Lower level Sorcerers and wizards have so few slots that having slots of opposite kinds means that in a real way you are multiclassed(but in a good way).

The PrC has sliding slots and very quickly offers more power than MotAO, since you are not limited by your PrC level in levels of spells you get to cast, you get greater total spell levels to cast, and you don't have to use a specialized casting method of loosing a round calling a spell or worrying about "paying back" a spellpool in your off time.

The downside is that you only get spells you have mastered with a Spellcraft roll(which allows the DM some in-story control over the spells he lets in his camppaign), but the upside is that the ability is defined as a slot, so effects like Mordenkainen's Lubrication can be used in combo with it.

Overall, its a "setting PrC" thats designed to perform a function in the campaign, so its not really minmaxed for players. Its designed for PC that want to play a House of Blue Lantern Mage, and not someone dipping into it for power.

Ps. I thought that Balefire was a very interesting setting idea as well.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I didn't see that the lantern mage's bonus slots scaled.

I would totally make a Sorcerer 6/Blue lantern mage 2/Candle caster 10 :roundnround: