Ability Modifiers

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Ability Modifiers

Post by Username17 »

OK, people seem to be pretty much expected to get to 20th level with a Strength of between 46 and 50. However, the way they do it is by transforming themselves into Monsters and replacing their Strength stats with numbers is the forties and then adding a few bonuses on the top.

I propose to drop that kind of cheese from my games entirely - which puts a severe damper on people's stats. Obviously, something needs to be done to add those stats back in (since people seem to like having the strength of 46 even though they don't like the method required to get it).

I was thinking that instead characters be allowed to raise two different stats every single level instead of raising one stat every four levels. The end result is about the same, but I think people vastly prefer being hecka strong because they are a legendary hero who happens to be hecka strong to being hecka strong because they long ago transformed into the body of a Titan and then went on to disguise themselves as themselves ever afterwards.

-Username17
Joy_Division
Apprentice

Re: Ability Modifiers

Post by Joy_Division »

That would seem to be fairly in line with the spirit of final fantasy, at least IMHO.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't have a problem with that at all.

Another idea: How about increasing one or two stats by +2 instead of +1? In my opinion, that would help making odd stats less vital, and even numbered stats less reviled. (I've found myself almost ready to scrap a set of rolls and re-roll becuase I got all even stats, but I'm weird.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Jack_Lurch
Apprentice

Post by Jack_Lurch »

Count Arioch wrote:
(I've found myself almost ready to scrap a set of rolls and re-roll becuase I got all even stats, but I'm weird.)

Me too, actually.

How about a +2 to one stat every level. Same amount of points, but guaranteed a mod raise every time.

-Jack
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The problem I have with gaining +2 at any level is that people are getting two apprentice levels and twenty character levels. Even if stat raises were limited only to character levels - that's still 40 points to potentially add to one stat.

That's not such a big deal when Strength is outstripping Dexterity - it just means that someone is going to walk in with a strength of 60 plus and totally knock people over and beat them down. But when Charisma is outstripping Constitution - that starts turning people into Frogs without saves.

Already I'm walking a pretty fine line with Save DCs - people are potentially going to be able to get a Save DC of 40 at 20th level - which means that I need to make sure that players can easily achieve a save bonus of more than +20 at 20th level. I know that you can get a save DC of forty (or more) at 20th level in regular D&D and yet it is often difficult to get Save Bonuses over +10 - but that's a problem I am attempting to fix here.

Which means that unfortunately, I can't hand out a +2 to a stat every level - not even if you have one of the advanced espers.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Which means that unfortunately, I can't hand out a +2 to a stat every level - not even if you have one of the advanced espers.

I don't know of you want things to be this complicated, but why not say you could not raise the same stat in consecutive levels. Make them wait at least one level before raising Charisma (or whatever) again.

Game On,
fbmf