Attempts to survive...advice?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

platonicuniversal
NPC

Re: Attempts to survive...advice?

Post by platonicuniversal »

Woot! I designed a set for a wand-bow (scorching ray, CL 3, 50 charges, 6000gp, attack action activation), and got approval from the DM. As I suspected, he wouldn't have allowed it if the CL was high enough for two rays per activation (not that I was even trying for that).

I'll look into getting the bard to choose inspirational boost over grease, and just use my scrolls instead. Not sure on the Words of Creation feat though, since I don't know anyone who has the BoED available.

Part of my choice for deep slumber over stinking cloud is that I already have web, and I need to start using a Save-or-Die spell more often than Save-or-Svck with this party. Although, if I ever fight something that doesn't have high strength, I would love to have kelgore's grave mist on them while they're webbed (1d6/rd and fatigued).

I'm also going to try and take advantage of the polymorph subschool system as well as I can, and research a 3rd level spell that turns me into a wrymling bronze dragon (CR 3, small size); getting approval on the basis that I noticed virtually every polymorph subschool spell turned the caster into a creature of CR equal to two less than minimum wizard level. While being a CR 3 dragon isn't really that good, it'd be good with +8 AC from my bracers and the fact it would be on my familiar at the same time (one spell = 2 CR 3 monsters).

I could potentially do other creatures from various MM books, but they're going to be under heavy scrutiny, and I'm fairly certain I can't turn into anything that's undead or mindless or with full casting capability (or at least will be lacking that, like dragonshape).

I'm also getting another player (brother-in-law, specifically) to join the party as a druid. Because of his time away from D&D, he's going to try to stick to normal d20 rules and not do anything fancy. I'll try to help him as well as I can; because unless I'm mistaken, I'd like to think I know what I'm doing with my own character and am actually fairly decent on my own, and my only problem is that I'm surrounded by mediocrity...if you guys feel that I'm much more foolish/newb than I realize at the rules, please elucidate.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, you've got a Wizzie and now you've got a CoD that will join.

A straight Core-only druid is pretty decent.

Recommend him to be a small race and ride his animal companion while using a lance or longspear. A war dog is uber and will get tons of hit dice.

That includes stuff like... dire bats. >:3

You may also want to pick up a ring of animal friendship; Charm Animal at will = everyone in the party gets to ride a polar bear into battle.

And we all know that anything is cooler with polar bears. or hawter... I'm not sure.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Really, its hard to do a druid wrong. As long as he picks up the natural spell feat, and isn't a complete idiot about spell and animal choices, he'll contribute more than any 2-3 other members of the party.
platonicuniversal
NPC

Post by platonicuniversal »

I wonder if I can get approval for one of these magic items from the Book of Hallowed Might II, because it just might get me to take the Craft Rod feat...

Keyed Spell Item: Basically gives you spontaneous spellcasting with a specific spell, allowing you to trade in prepared spells of equal or higher spell level to instead cast the spell. The base price is (SL*SL*100gp), but you cannot use it for spells that aren't on your spell list. The greater ones allow its use cross-spell list, at a higher cost (SL*SL*2000gp). It needs to take up an item slot or be in your hand when using it. Sorcerers are allowed to use them too, but it adds to their spells known list AND they have to use a spell slot one level higher.

Now the awesome part is for Enhanced Keyed Spell Items. They add to the cost of a keyed spell item in a manner not unlike adding acid resistance to that +1 breastplate. Any time you cast the spell the item is keyed to, it becomes enhanced. Here are some samples...
Enhanced Keyed Spell Item (Potency): This damage-inflicting keyed spell deals 50% more damage than normal. Cost: +1000gp/spell level
Enhanced Keyed Spell Item (Area): This enhancement doubles the area of the keyed spell whose area is described as a physical space (as opposed to Personal, single target, etc). Cost: +500gp/spell level.

I get access to several metamagic feats for the price of one and some gold. I'm certain there's room for abuse here. Granted, it's iffy that I could get it by my DM.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

platonicuniversal at [unixtime wrote:1195444298[/unixtime]]Enhanced Keyed Spell Item (Area): This enhancement doubles the area of the keyed spell whose area is described as a physical space (as opposed to Personal, single target, etc).

Out of curiosity, does "double area" mean "double volume," "double cross-sectional area," or "double some parameter that means something entirely different from area"? And if the area of effect is not a sphere (if that ever happens), how do you pick the amount of expansion in each direction?

I would be rather amused (and sad) if they actually want you to increase the radius of an area by a factor of the cube root of two. Especially if it's the radius of a line effect.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

If it's anything like normal D&D, it's probably just a free Widen metamagic feat. Imagine an item keyed for area on web, then cast it widened; 5th level spell giving you a 60' radius of entrapment. I have no freakin' clue what you would need that large of an area for though.

It's a hell of a savings. It's like getting a highly specialized metamagic rod, but without anything to stop you from stacking it like something out of Jenga. It explicitly states it can be of various item slots.

For the low price of only 6600gp, an 8th level wizard can wear a suit of items keyed for ray of enfeeblement (potency), and reduce anyone's strength by 3d6+12 all damn day. I'm sure something even dumber could be done here.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Geometry and Dragons?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1196325899[/unixtime]]

The sun god cleric and bard (both NG) pretty much shrugged and realized they couldn't bring me back and attempts to control the barbarian to be pointless, so they looted my body and buried it and continued on with the adventure.

How did this not count as an evil act and cause an alignment turn?