Attempts to survive...advice?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

platonicuniversal
NPC

Attempts to survive...advice?

Post by platonicuniversal »

Alright, here's the full party description...

Grey Elf Wizard 4 (Generalist): Has Craft Wondrous Item & Elf Dilettante. Tends to use Silent Image and Web (and Enlarge person on the barbarian), obtained a wand of magic missile recently (3rd level caster) but hadn't had a chance to use it yet.

Human Barbarian 4: Weapon Focus (Greatsword), don't know what the other two feats are in, but not in power attack

Half-elf Bard 4

Half-elf Cleric 3/Sorcerer 1: Was told Mystic Theurge was a good idea, but regretted it and doesn't plan on going any further into Sorcerer. Chose Sun & Magic domains, currently wearing banded mail due to encumbrance issues.

Now, I'm the wizard, and the barbarian and I are the only ones really contributing to fights. The cleric barely considers attacking an option, and just whips out cure spells to keep the sole melee person alive. The bard uses the buff song and is only sort of there.

Or at least, I'd like to think I'm contributing when I take out half of the monsters from the fight until the barbarian is ready to deal with them. If you think I should shoot for a different spell tactic, feel free to advise me.

I'm contemplating making magic items to give to the bard/cleric so they can actually *attack* things, because their attack capability is mediocre right now; and the cleric is downright crap because she only recently got a strength of 10 (it was 8 until she got that belt of strength +2), and can barely remember to cast spells other than cures.

I already made a pendant that casts Vigor (the SpC spell that grants fast healing 1 for 11 rounds), with infinite charges; but that's only been useful for downtime situations.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Attempts to survive...advice?

Post by Username17 »

Ah. You've found the Battlefield Control Wizard's Lament. Acting as a force multiplier is awesome, but if your initial force is equivalent to zero even for mediocre values of Opposition, multiplying that force means fuck all. Furthermore, the barbarian you're running with is going obsolete pretty quickly if you don't find an artifact sword pretty soon - that means that holding enemies down until the barbarian can kill them isn't going to work in a few more levels. You've got a couple of options:
  • 1. Start throwing Fireballs This is a bad option, because fireball isn't good. But if the DM catches on that your team actually can't put out the pains very well and starts throwing monsters to match, the fact that you can put out bullshit tiny amounts of damage really fast may make you deceptively stand out as the main party contributor. If you're running pre-packaged or fixed world opponents, this won't work.

2. Teach the second stringers. Hell, if you can just get the Cleric interested in summon monster, she can be a big noise in this sort of situation. The bard has exactly 3 levels to figure out how to be effective before he'll stop being effective anyway.

3. Fall back on charmed and conjured monsters. If you can live to 7th level, you can charm the first brute who comes your way. Then it doesn't even matter what the Barbarian or the Cleric are doing, because having a Hill Giant follow the party around is better than anything a sword character of that level could be doing. By the time you get to 9th level you can just build a demon army and move on with your life.

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

You can even sell the effectiveness of summon monster by demonstrating that you can cast cure spells AND whale on things at the same time, doubling your effectiveness.

In her case it's probably increasing it by a factor of 10 but that is life.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Tell her to get a healing wand.

Also, make a list of every awesome spell that she could cast.

Since she's happy not doing combat, she'll probably be happy buffing (saves healing). Making sure that she casts Bless + Prayer....and later Recitation (aka, prayer Mk II) will help.

The bard should be casting Good Hope (aka Blessing Mk II) off of scrolls or a wand (created by an Archivist, so it's CL of 5, not CL of 7 and thus cheaper to buy) and you're group will enjoy +4 to hit, +4 to everything else, enemies suffer -2 to everything dice-related.

Getting a wand of Haste for the bard will also help the group.

As it stands... you could use charmed + diplomacied humanoid warriors as extra muscle to give the barb and the cleric a hand in combat. You charm, the cleric and bard diplomance together; have the barbarian use the charmed + diplomanced warriors to help him get into flanking positions on enemies (prep a flank with the warriors, then charge and enjoy a +4 to hit; on top of whatever else they've got; make sure they pick up Power Attack and tell them that they could be getting up to +16 damage if the Power Attack off their +8 to hit gained from Good Hope, Recitation, Flanking & Charging; +18 and +9 if Haste is also used) and help mitigate getting into dangerous situations; like getting surrounded.

Ask the DM if the Cleric can trade the Sorcerer level for a cleric level since her character would know that losing a cleric level is worse than gaining a sorcerer level would bring in benefits.

The cleric can also use wizard wands and staffs and scrolls. Thanks to her Magic Domain.

The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Just one doubt, Frank: why exactly 3 levels for the bard to decide, and what'd be the problem with grabbing extra useless skill ranks/level and going sublime chord? It's not really good, but it casts as a cohort wizard, which, despite being strictly inferior to a wizard, seems passable (i.e. a much better destiny than bard 20).
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sublime Chord is what I suggest to anyone who has their heart completely set on being a Bard. In the earliest levels they should be able to do the buff-based fighting like a junior Cleric, then later on they take that class and learn what it's like to be a real caster.

They even get to keep their Bard spells while still having access to real spells.

Or they go Dragon Disciple, seeing as they're not a real caster anyway. So they can be a high Strength fighter with some buffs and a crappy breath weapon.

Although I know one friend who seriously loves Sublime Chord, and would choose that over a Wizard or Sorcerer. I lost faith in his skillz after that.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
platonicuniversal
NPC

I'll bring up the Sublime Chord with the bard next chance. Finding scrolls of hope won't work for now, because we haven't been in an area where they're available for purchase.

I got the cleric casting some of the summon spells (seems like the celestial dog is the best option for a good cleric), though I'm still seeing too much readiness to whip out cure moderates, resulting in a single CR 5 snake that's grappling the barbarian take all three 2nd level spells.

Speaking of which, I need to design some plans when we encounter any further beasts/vermin that ambush us and start focusing on the barbarian. Web & silent image don't really work when they're already grappling someone.

We're likely to level this next session, which puts me at level 5. Do you have any suggestions for what my first two 3rd level spells should be for this party?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The CR5 Constrictor is a murder machine. Bt when you're in that sort of situation, yor best bet is stuff like color spray. Simly move to a point where your cone doesn't reach your friend and let fly. A stunned opponent can't take actions so they can't maintain a grapple. The Barbarian automatically escapes and you reset to a non-ambush scenario.

shadow spray works for this as well even after the errata.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I hope you can control your party well enough to get out of reach of the constrictor, because that double-hit whammy with Constrict could take out someone that doesn't have alot of hit points (the bard or you, in particular).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
platonicuniversal
NPC

Here's a question, aside from trying to figure out what spells to choose when I get to 5th level, how do I deal with these grapple monsters? I can't think of a reasonable manner in which to boost the barbarian to even compete with equal CR grapplers, barring polymorph for hydra cheese.

I was tempted to get the balor nimbus spell and make it into an item, but my DM considers that spell overpowered and banned it, as well as ray of stupidity.

Using grease might work, I'll have to consider that.

Speaking of grapplers, I'm freaking terrified of getting to level 10 or 11 and running into a roper.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Even Hydra form won't beat a real grapple monster.

What you have to do is one of the following:
  • Tekken Juggle the grapple monster. Every time you break the hold with a stun or paralysis or whatever, that gives you another chance to beat on it for another turn.

• Alpha Strike Grapple Monsters are denied their Dex bonus while grappling most of the time. That means that while it is industriously ripping your barbarian in half, you can all just go ape shit on it. Cast spells right next to it, it doesn't threaten any squares. Power Attack for everything because it doesn't even matter. If you can kill it before it kills your Barbarian compadre, the battle is won.

You can't beat a giant squid at its own game with anything short of a Grapplemancer Wizard - and that build is frankly silly.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Alternatively, while it's grappling you, get someone else to sneak up and hit it with a chair. But make sure the referee isn't looking, or you'll totally get disqualified.

I think that's some analogy to using sneak attack, but not even I'm sure at the moment. I was watching a WWE Divas DVD earlier today, and it sort of sprung to mind.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Sneak attack is awesome against grapple monsters. Like Frank said, they're denied that sweet, sweet dex bonus, so you can just walk up and full attack for big piles of D6s.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

A shame that group doesn't have any sneak attackers.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Grease is a mixed blessing at that point, but there are still things that you can do so that the barb doesn't totally bite it.

Summoning is usually a solid option, just don't be afraid to trade down those summons. Using Aid Another (Escape Artist) can be handy. If it is a monster that doesn't have grapple from another source (see: Bears), then it is burning it's full attacks to try to grapple. If the character in question is not grappled yet, you can do those snazzy Aid Another attacks against AC 10 to give +2 (untyped! stacking!) to AC. So when you get d4+1 celestial owls/hawks, those can each be a +2 AC/Escape Artist reliably. Hooray for being annoying!

Teach the cleric the joys of the Hold X line of spells.

Teach the cleric the joys of Shatter and Sound Burst (may stun grapple monster).

The cleric does not need to heal (not really) if you have a continuous Lesser Vigor. Instead get her to cast Bears Strength or Bulls Endurance on the barbarian.
platonicuniversal
NPC

Well, my character died due to a surprise attack near water by half of a full attack from a violet fungus. Fortunately, we were near a settlement with a druid that could cast reincarnate, and the DM has a house rule where you only lose the enough experience to be at the bottom of your current level.

This means I'm still level 5 and only lost 788xp. Oh, and I'm now a human...which means the loss of low-light vision and +2 Dex, but the gaining of +2 Str/Con.

With the new level, I chose to add Haste & Deep Slumber to my spellbook. I'll be adding Dispel Magic & Flame Arrow from scrolls we found when I have the time to scribe them into my book.

One thing I realized was that our DM doesn't have the grapplers use their iterative attacks and it only does its damage once from constricting (not grapple for damage, then again from the constrict as it should). This is a significant mistake, but I don't dare mention it to the DM or anyone in the party for fear of him realizing what should be happening. It's literally the only reason we haven't had lost our barbarian at least twice now, and possibly even a TPK at some point.

I need to make a few scrolls with Web, Mirror Image & Ray of Enfeeblement.

I also need to get some freakin' damage ability in that damned bard of ours or something, because all he's got is that 12 Strength and a +1 longsword. His current plan is to take the Outsider Champion PrC, though I might be mistaken, as my memory is fuzzy.

I never realized how bad we have it for our cleric. She took the combat casting and improved initiative feats. The only reason she has any ranged attacks is because I gave her my light crossbow after I made my wand of magic missile (technically a wonderous item, but same effect). She only just now got a strength of 10 (belt of strenght +2), and is wearing banded mail because of encumberance.

I'm also trying to think of a good PrC to offer to our Barbarian, as he's having trouble finding a good one, especially one that's suited for the barbarian in terms of style and all that.
Dr_Jesus_DDS
NPC

Post by Dr_Jesus_DDS »

Barbarian past level... two is really not that great unless you go all the way... and then its pretty much terrible. Even in comparison to fighters they lack versatility. Get him out of barbarian asap.

The first two levels of barbarian and fighter, like most non-primary spellcasters are where their core abilities are concentrated. Ideally he should have 2 of each of those, but judging from your mention that you recently took haste and deep slumber I'm going to assume that he's level 5 as well. If he's still four tell him to take his next two levels as fighter, otherwise just level 6.

Tactical Styles

Tank - Basic objective here is to become as invulnerable as possible while still being more than an annoyance to enemies in some way, preferably more than one way. Honestly the Combat Controller does this job better but is likely to be slightly more vulnerable to ranged enemies. Get some mithril fullplate, a heavy shield and a battleaxe/longsword/scimitar/rapier and start making a nuisance of yourself, eventually get some cheese like a falchion and an animated tower shield. Its a good idea to have a longbow of appropriate pull strength in case you're forced to fight at range, potions of various buffs and healing are often a good idea, a level or two of rogue for UMD and evasion can be very helpful as well.

Feats:
Power attack will be nice to have (as it is with any fighter) but I wouldn't bother using it except against casters or enemies that have been disabled by the wizard.
Weapon Focus/Spec Line
Proficiency: Tower Shield

Combat Controller - Get enlarged, get a reach weapon (spiked chain is the cheesiest not to mention the only EWP worth taking), get Improved Trip. Run in and start making 'em fall like a roller disco in an ice rink. However, this strategy isn't really viable without a base dex of at least 12 and preferably 14. Which your barbarian may or may not have.

Feats:
Combat Expertise
Combat Reflexes
Improved Trip
EWP: Spiked Chain

Flying Fucktard - My preferred style for a barbarian type is to be somewhat xenophobic yet aggressive, much like a certain Cimmerian. Kill stuff and usually not ask questions at all is the playstyle that ends up as most of the time, which in and of itself isn't that fun out of combat. But there are plenty of ways around that for a creative person. This is a charging damage dealer, focused primarily on killing everyone within your LOS asap while caring practically nothing for your own safety. Goes very well with a Battlefield Controller wizard. It will work fine with a greatsword, but a falchion is technically a better choice. For ultimate cheese get the Valorous weapon enchantment (+1 Bonus) out of Unapproachable East for double damage on charge attacks... period.

Feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Leap Attack
Improved Bullrush
Shock Trooper

Prestige Classes:
Prestige class options are pretty limited really, most of them don't really do anything cool but there are a few that stand out.

Champion of Gwynharwyf (BoED): Gets some semi-cool spells and abilities, Divine grace is nice. Has kind of annoying requirements though, A feat that does basically nothing and Righteous Wrath (BoED) which is a fear causing ability when you attack while raged. Righteous Wrath actually goes fairly well with Intimidating Rage (CW) a single target shaken effect when you first rage, and/or Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) an aoe fear effect when you charge or full attack. Fear stacking will actually make those fairly effective if you have a high charisma, which you ought to since you have Divine Grace and get charisma mod to saves.

The problem is that you really need to plan to go into this class since you'll eventually need a wisdom of 14 to cast all of the spells and a charisma of 14 or 16 to make Divine Grace worthwhile. Unlikely unless your Barbarian was kind of a retard with his stats or you did some sort of static organic rolls for stats.

Frenzied Berserker (CW): Probably his best bet for doing anything cool... ever (especially if you include going insane and getting super pissed at the same time in that category). Goes perfectly with the Flying Fucktard build with frenzy's +6 bonus to Strength (eventually +10, stacks with rage), Supreme Cleave, Improved Power attack and Supreme Power attack both of which multiply the effectiveness of Power attack, much like leap attack but not just when charging. Deathless Frenzy is also pretty cinematic and hilarious since with a high enough Con and/or the Extend Rage feat you can live for quite some time despite being pelted by arrows, fireballs, melee weapons and whatever else they've got. You should have a high enough fortitude save to easily resist the death effects and disintegrate which could end your murderous work since all of your classes are high fort save.

With a bard and a cleric, that both should have calm emotions prepared, the chance of his frenzy going off due to trap damage and him accidentally TKing your entire party in a terrifyingly unstoppable homicidal rampage is almost nonexistant. However, I wouldn't let him walk in front in a dungeon unless you (the wizard) are at least 85 feet away or have some sort of cover from him because he could quite possibly kill you in one hit. The effects this has on party dynamics has always been mildly amusing to me, especially when I encourage it by having my character reinforce their fears and "call wolf" by pretending to go into a frenzy when I actually made the will save on some damage or just at unexpected times or during tense moments to lighten the mood.

Downside to this class is that you have to take Intimidating Rage and Destructive Rage, neither of which is very good. Though Intimidating Rage becomes marginally interesting if paired with other fear effects (but it still sucks terribly) and Destructive Rage can be cool if your DM is very liberal about letting the barbarian destroy the hell out of the environment. However, it's probably worth it to be able to deal something like 320 damage on your charge attack, then start figuring cleaves with an extra 5 foot step and any reach you have from being enlarged and/or using a reach weapon. It gets pretty nasty pretty fast.

Exotic Weapon Master (CW): Not really that good, but you can gain a few decent things for a Combat Controller type. Exotic Reach will eliminate any problem with enemies being covered by others (though most of the time they won't be because they'll be on the ground.) Trip Attack will give you a +2 to trip checks, not too terrible.

Problem with this class is that your particular barbarian isn't likely to have the requirements EWP and Weapon Focus with said exotic weapon.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

A barbarian doesn't necessarily need a prestige class. In fact, there aren't really any that would offer much. He can't qualify for frenzied berserker until some absurdly high level, since he doesn't have any of the four feats he needs.

Of course, staying in the class doesn't offer much either, other than the hit dice and the eventual gains from rage. Honestly, at 5th, he's got everything useful in the class (and then some, actually). Later feats (after power attack, and maybe shock trooper) can go into extra rage if thats really important to him.

What I would suggest is convince him (and the DM) to start taking levels in Warblade. It isn't spellcaster good, but he won't lose anything (same hit die, full BAB) , gets a few nifty class ablities, and the manuevers will give him some extra bite. Thanks to the way multi-classing works with them, he'll be able to take 2nd level manuevers straight off, and they'll give a lot more extra bite to the character than any prestige class he could possibly qualify for at this point.

However, the character absolutely and utterly needs power attack. Stab the player in the eye with a pencil if he takes something else at 6th level.

As for the Bard. um. Get him so good wands. Maybe get that sword enchanted with flaming, frost, and shock as quickly as possible, and worry about boosting the + with greater magic weapon. Unless you can convince him to give up on being a bard, I'm not sure what all you can do. Not really sure what he's doing running around with a sword in melee as a bard, anyway. Though you don't seem to have many options for a second combatant...

Unless you convince the cleric to start summoning stuff. Not great at these levels, but better than the gaping void you've got at the moment. Improved Init isn't necessarily for a bad feat, except that she seems to be just waiting around to heal people, which makes that a little pointless. Have her pick up craft wand at 6 and put an end to all those wasted spell slots.

As for you... Deep Slumber and Haste probably aren't the best choices. The one round casting time on the first is a killer (often literally, as enemies all have their actions to kill you before it goes off). Haste... you just don't have enough bodies in the fray to make this really useful, unless the cleric starts summoning stuff. Slow would be better (since it hits a different Save than web). Stinking Cloud isn't a bad option either.

Flame arrow is pretty much the definition of suck, unless you have some very, very specific circumstances (As in a couple dozen minions with bows and arrows). Or you need it for item crafting. If neither apply, it isn't worth the effort of scribing.
platonicuniversal
NPC

Our DM banned anything from the Tome of the Nine Blades, as well as the Frenzied Beserker due to perceived balance concerns.

I talked to the barbarian, and it turns out that he does have Power Attack, he just hasn't used it yet. Our cleric is starting to use summon spells now. I'll probably try to get a scorching ray 'wand' (I'll make a Wondrous Item variant, likely tied to attack actions so they can benefit from haste by making a full attack) made for the bard and cleric to use, unless you can suggest a better damage spell for them to use.

I myself need to work on my survivability, but I'm at a loss as to how to give myself enough protection to matter; especially since I'm working with an AC 10 and 28 hit points at level 5. I do have a set of bracers that activate mage armor & shield at once as a standard action, but surprise rounds can slaughter me (and it did against that violet fungus, dead in two hits). I'm thinking that I might also make a necklace of tears to give myself 12 temporary up to three times (non-stacking), since it's so cheap and I can replace it with a +Con item later when it would actually be better (or both, depending on how things look).

Oh, and I still need to choose my feat for 5th level. I'm tempted to go for Craft Arms & Armor, since I'm already going to be making items so the party does suck like the void in my soul from their choices.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

platonicuniversal at [unixtime wrote:1194588661[/unixtime]]Our DM banned anything from the Tome of the Nine Blades, as well as the Frenzied Beserker due to perceived balance concerns.

I talked to the barbarian, and it turns out that he does have Power Attack, he just hasn't used it yet.

:disgusted:

I'm curious about these magic items you're using. They're so bizarrely non-standard to the point that I don't know how they're doing what they're doing. *Nothing* should make a spell be able to be used multiple times as part of a full attack action. Thats more broken than everything in the Book of 9 Swords. I'd honestly rather have that than any of the 9th level combat manuevers
platonicuniversal
NPC

The bracer thing was just a little something I managed to squeak by the DM, approval-wise. I highly doubt that it'll see approval for any other spell combo.

I also made a use-activated item that casts magic weapon on your weapon, allowing you to spend an immediate action after hitting something with your weapon to have the effects go off.

Oh, I also made an item that casts lesser vigor an infinite number of times per day (11 rounds of Fast Healing 1).

The idea behind the 'wand' of scorching ray is that it'll be a use-activated item, the 'use' being 'make an attack roll with a bow'. Since the mechanics behind the working of the spell coincide with ranged attacks anyway, and I'm not making it high enough caster level to shoot more than a single bolt, I suspect I can get the DM to approve of that mechanic.

The bracer, healing, and weapon things are the only non-standard items I've made so far, and my designs are intended to be in specific ways that wouldn't attract alot of attention, because I know that approval is situational with item designs; and being overt about it won't help me.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Those aren't non-standard. They're seriously *wrong*. Though the magic weapon thing doesn't actually do anything. Magic Weapon gives a flat +1 enhancement bonus. After you've hit... is kinda pointless. Unless it retroactively applies the point of damage.

How did you make an item that casts vigor? I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it isn't in your spellbook... And if it is, how did you sneak that by the DM?

And the wand-bow of scorching ray is a nice precedent for a wand-bow of disintegrate, which is just silly.
platonicuniversal
NPC

I admit the bracer thing is weird, but as I said, it's approval was a fluke in my opinion and I'm not going to push my luck with it.

The magic weapon thing does work, as the spell has a duration of a minute, so the rest of the encounter will give the weapon the bonus to damage and go through damage reduction as a magic weapon. I did make a mistake, it doesn't cost the immediate action, it's just a triggered buff that activates on your decision when you swing the sword (only 3/day, 50 charges).

The game is being played concurrently with two other parties, and when our party was with one of them for a session, they had a druid that went through the research to learn vigor (nobody gets free access to non-PHB spells, they have to research them to access them). Before our parties split up, I worked with the druid to make the item. It's a command word item with no limits on per-day, and is wholly within pricing formula.

As for the wand-bow of scorching ray setting up precedent, use-activated itself is the precedent. Using disintegrate like that won't get approval, because it *is* silly. The fact I'm making it 3/day and charged will also help get approval, because infinite attack spells are the only thing that seems to make him uneasy (thus the banning of warlock).
Dr_Jesus_DDS
NPC

Post by Dr_Jesus_DDS »

False Life (PHB) 2nd - Easiest way to get some extra hp at that level. Long duration (1 hour/level) and with 1d10 + 1 per CL temp hp that should average you 10.5 hp.

Mirror Image (PHB) 3rd - 1d4 + 1 per 3 CL images around you. Basically they have to randomly choose from among you and the images who to attack (with non-area attacks) and if they choose wrong they destroy that image and waste their turn.

Fly (PHB) 3rd - Makes you all but immune to melee enemies and short range spells. Also lets you put some serious range penalties on bow/xbox users.

Invisibility (PHB) 2nd - Pretty obvious.

Spiderskin (SpC) 3rd - Simple source of natural armor, I wouldn't bother taking this for a few levels. Probably not till 9.

Shadowspray (SpC) 2nd - Kind of a sneaky way to do things but since you don't seem too averse to slipping things past your DM, who am I to condemn it. Shadowspray as written in the spell compendium before the errata is hilariously broken when combined with web or grease.

Create Magic Tatoo (SpC) 2nd - 24 hour duration makes this moderately useful, with Extend it actually becomes pretty good.

Expeditious Retreat (PHB) 1st - Keeping out of range is really the easiest way to stay alive short of killing/disabling all of your enemies.

Obscuring Mist (PHB) 1st - Excellent way to hinder the efforts of enemies that don't have a 5th level caster among them, unfortunately it has about the same effect on your team.

Fog Cloud (PHB) 2nd - Same as Obscuring but usable at range and not susceptible to being burned away by fireball or wall of flame. Also lasts 10 min per CL rather than 1.
Dr_Jesus_DDS
NPC

Post by Dr_Jesus_DDS »

Spells:
Inspirational Boost (SpC) 1st - Swift, +1 to inspire courage for the entire duration.

Items:
Badge of Valor (Magic Item Compendium) - 1400, +1 on inspire courage for entire duration 3/day
Crystal Echoblade (Magic Item Compendium) - 4310, deals 1/2 Bard level in sonic damage while using Bardic music.

Feats:
Melodic Casting (Complete Mage) - Can use perform instead of concentration for concentration checks. Can cast verbal spells while singing.
Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) - Expend one bardic music to gain Charisma to attacks (Stacks with Str or Dex) with melee slashing weapons for a number rounds equal to your perform ranks.
Words of Creation (BoED) - Doubles inspire courage, does all sorts of other crazy and broken stuff. You take minor nonlethal damage for using them.