How my Dungeonomicon character is faring

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

How my Dungeonomicon character is faring

Post by Koumei »

A DM who's style I like is running a dungeoncrawl game online. Basically, it's level 6, 36 point-buy, with most sources allowed, and everyone plays solo games unless they want to form groups, and runs through. You fight monsters, find treasure, face the occasional trap or puzzle, you know the drill.

So I made a human Monk 3/Jester 3. Needless to say, the Monk is from the Dungeonomicon, not the PHB.

My four feats are all ToB ones as well, and my weapon of choice is a +1 flaming ladder. Yes, a wizard went and found an expertly crafted ladder and enchanted it. Or maybe an Efreeti made it appear. Anyway, the ladder is covered by my Fighting Style: TLC style (applies to unarmed attacks, tables, ladders and chairs).

First encounter: a couple of bugbears are harassing a young lady, so I rush in. The first one gets stunned, then killed (my main stance is "any weapon can be used" + "Fort vs Stun") before the second could even react. It missed. I then cast Grease, and 1-shotted it. Easy enough.

The girl then thanked me, so my charming yet slightly mental character pointed out "If you go back there, you'll be safe, but I fell in through the roof so you can't climb out. But you could wait until I come back to get you... unless I die horribly. Or you could follow me until I find a way out... unless we die horribly"

She decided to follow.

"Well, I'm Alecto the Tempest! What's your name? Also, I would like a kiss as a reward for saving you."

I then read as far as "My name is Ash." and thought "Wait, Ash... in the other game of his that I play, wasn't Ash the name of the succu-sonofaBITCH!"

Yep. Willingly level drained. From there, we're currently stuck in a grapple. Several rounds of "she pins me, I escape the pin. Rinse, repeat." Occasionally she fails to pin me and I attack her and deal some unarmed damage (only 1 less than the ladder deals, aside from the d6 Fire) with a chance of Stunning.

I might actually beat this Succubus though. If I get kissed again, it'll greatly lower my chances, and it only takes a total of 5 more to actually kill me, but on the other hand, another 2-3 hits from me and she's out cold. This is an "Overwhelming" encounter of 1 level 6 PC vs 1 CR 7 monster, and I'm doing okay.

And the worst of it happened because I did something stupid.

I really like this stuff. This character is certainly effective. The game probably won't go to tenth, but so far I'm slightly leaning towards continuing in Jester, but I might just split evenly - BAB, saves and stances on one side, spells, sneak attack and "tricks" on the other side.

The only point of this post, other than wasting my own time, was to say "I approve of Dungeonomicon stuff."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: How my Dungeonomicon character is faring

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yeah, I had someone try out the Jester (and I've seen many good Dungenomicon monks) and they had a blast.

She wanted to specialized in throwing creme pies, and I was suggesting picking up acid flasks.

Then I realized she could have her flavour... (she also has at least a mild fear of clowns, so this char was probably an effort to confront her fear of clowns by being one) and I got a PC that I don't have to worry about dying.

So I suggested that she be a jokester-baker that bakes her weapons; acid cream pies.

The lvl 4 Jester ability that drops a target's saves was best described as "work the groin" and was followed up with vigorous hip gyrations.

She was happy since she was able to CdG a sleeping Wyvern and toss acid pies at an other one.

Monks on the other hand are just plain straightforward in having Wuxia style power and very hard to break, so lazy players get decent characters (everyone seems to pick up the attacks the Bypass DR or deal ability/movement damage) and powergamers get a character that can't be busted.

On the other hands, monks being 'busted' just seems out of flavour to begin with. Really, they're all about being able to do wierd Wire-Fu stunts and attack in wierd but effective manners.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

JE wrote:acid cream pies.

Are they lemon?

;)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

They were, but it could seriously be expanded.

Most fruit is acidic, so tossing lemon/Acid Flask pies that deal acid damage, frozen blueberry/Coldfire pies that deal cold damage and steaming hot appleAlchemist's Fire pies that deal fire damage is also plausible.

Rhubarb leaf/Any Poison pies are also possible.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

That's so awesome.

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I've seen the question again and again in the wizards forums:
"how can you do precision damage with a ranged touch attack?"

To which the response is:
Acid Cream Pies
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Her character had a donkey and a cart with a portable oven to bake them while she was travelling.

Then the NPC that 'gathered' the PCs ported her and her donkey and cart/oven to meet the other PCs; 6 lvl 6 PCs just chewed through over a half-dozen wyverns.

Although it was really the wizard (Brobdingnagian) dropping Grease, Deep Slumbers and Webs that dominated the encounter. Everyone else played completely non-core characters using Frank and/or K's material and the Wizard using only core material and no feats was able to take down a large amount of targets.

The Bard (Franks bard) just kept dealing sonic damage every round (me and Brob figured that Frank's bard could use the 'ground' as a viable target to 'maintain' the sonic damage ability chain).

Almost everyone else just mobbed up the one or two not-helpless wyverns and then ganked the ones that were ..... webbed + greased or CdG'd the ones that were fast asleep.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Getting kissed by a Succubus lowers your chances? WHAT???
I'd say chances are high of other things happening when a Succubus kisses a character. Just make sure you have proper spell protections on, and don't let the Succubus find out until after a few hours have passed.
A Grease spell also helps.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

My casting ability consists of level 1 and 2 Jester spells. I can use Grease, but she (and her pet Poke-Vrock now) can fly. Although maybe not indoors. Hmm. I'm not sure how well they can fly, they might be able to hover.

Anyway, I can't cast a "protection against level drain" spell, and wouldn't have thought to anyway, honestly. At any rate, I know that the reason the DM threw her against me (CR 7 against a single level 6 character) was that we both figure I'm good at making decent characters, so should manage, and the Succubus doesn't intend on killing me. She hopes to take away enough levels that I can't really resist or be a real threat, and then subdue me and perform acts that are not for a worksafe board.

And yet I'm still fighting it. I should get a medal or something. Cuz I mean, I'm a real pervert, and shallow too.

But anyway, I have two negative levels, but no longer grappled, and though I'm now having trouble hitting and dealing significant damage (thank Loviatar for Blitz, letting me overcome her DR at the cost of AoOs that keep missing me), I'm fairly safe from her and the Vrock.

And Vrocks are CR 9. I'm feeling pretty good about myself. No intricate builds needed, just some nice, solid classes and feats with really good abilities.

Anyway, yes. Being kissed by a Succubus grants a negative level (and bestows a Suggestion, which I'm immune to). Negative levels grant penalties on "everything".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, they eventually grappled me until the Succubus could remove my mask, drain another level (the DM said they will automatically come back, instead of "save or get proper fucked") and Suggest that I give up.

So I lost the battle, but it was a close one, and I mopped the previous challenge up. I'm impressed with the F&K stuff.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'll see for myself when I play with Calibron soon.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.