Cleric PrCs

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Cleric PrCs

Post by CalibronXXX »

Well it looks like I'll get to play in one more game before I start converting all my friends over to the alpha version of the D20 ruleset that's being talked about on "Spell Lists for Everyone", and I was planning on either being a summoner Druid or a party buffing Cleric. The Druid was pretty easy to figure out, I don't really need any help there, but I was going to make my Cleric an Illumian; and Illumians get more awesome the more you multiclass them, but the only Cleric PrC I found that I'm completely comfortable with taking is Church Inquisitor, the others either have unfortunate prerequisites, have unwanted flavor that'd be hard to divorce from the mechanics, or just straight up seem inferior to straight Cleric.

So I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for good Cleric PrCs.

I was planning on getting the Naen and Hoon Sigils to start with for the DMMesque power without using up all those feats. I was thinking Planning for one of my Domains for the free Extend Spell. I was planning on getting Chain Spell and Divine Spell Power asap, so I could NaenHoon-Chain long lasting buffs to the whole party at increased caster level; speaking of increased caster level I was definitely going to pick up Krau Sigil at level 5 when I got in my first two levels of Church Inquisitor for the universal +1 casterlevel. If I roll well on my Turn Undead check for Divine Spell Power I could give the whole party +3 Armor with one 3rd level slot by level 5.

So yeah, nice fairly early entry Cleric PrCs that play nice with Church Inquisitor(must be Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good) and preferably bolster buffing, skills, or combat, and suggestions for my other Domain. Thanks.
Crissa
King

Re: Cleric PrCs

Post by Crissa »

So, yeah, your first paragraph I understood...

...The second (well, third) read to me as gibberish.

Honestly, I don't see what Clerics get as PrCs since they're the most heavily pre-loaded character out of the box.

-Crissa
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Illumians get racial powers called Power Sigils that combine to Create more powerful powers called Illumian Words. They get one at first level and 1 more every time they hit level 2 in a class. Combing the Naen and Hoon Sigils gives you the NaenHoon Illumian word; NaenHoon gives you what is effectively Divine Metamagic that can be used with any Metamagic feat you have. The Krau Sigil on its own gives you +1 to caster level.

I'm sure, or at least I hope, you understood the part about being a party buffer. I also hope you know what Chain Spell does. Divine Spell Power is a feat that lets you burn a Turn Undead attempt in order to raise your caster level for one spell. Simple enough, yes?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

How much flexibility do you have for meeting prereqs? Like, do you mind taking a few sub-par feats or skills to get a PrC, or do you just want ones with prereqs that are a good choice anyways? Since you plan on using Divine Spell Power, I assume you'll want one that advances your turning.

Edit: Oh, Spell Power uses just the turning check. I see why Inquisitor was an example, now. In that case, any divine casting PrC with full casting is a good choice, barring prereqs. Also, are Faerun PrCs available?
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Preferably no more than two poor feats, odd skill requirements are okay, preferably medium or higher BAB(this guy won't be DMM Persisting Divine Power), full casting a must, preferably not tied to a specific god(can be worked around), and if saves, HD, skills, or BAB are worse than Cleric it should at least have some good class features to make up for that. Anything that enhances party buffing or lets me emulate a skill-monkey is a big plus.

The reason I'm staying away from Persistent buffs, for now, and focusing on making the party awesome is that while the rest my groups' rules-fu isn't exactly weak, I can still significantly outshine them mechanically if I don't watch myself.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Calibron, why don't you focus on spell-fu then and stop caring on actual BAB? On actually helping, sorry - I'm not the best of optimizers.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Goddamn those illumnians are just a diablo mechanic welded to a race.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Because Diablo invented the concept of magic runes, words of power, and magical language.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I managed to find another great Cleric-compatible PrC in an old Ravenloft supplement, Champions of Darkness, called the Master of Curses.

Prerequisites:
Lawful alignment
Base Will Save Bonus+5
Sense Motive 4 ranks
Skill Focus(Sense Motive)
Must be able to cast spells

Full Casting, Full BAB, Good Fort and Will, an extra Domain(the Curse Domain, which has a pretty cool granted power and decent enough spells), what is effectively the Extra Turning Feat, +2 to Curse Checks(whatever that's supposed to mean), the ability to see what curse would be most devastating against any given individual and how deserving they of such punishment, and finally the ability to take other peoples curses onto yourself if need be.

Looks pretty sweet.

Well I managed to figure out my character progression, so...thanks for all the not-help; couldn't have done it without you.:frowntobiggrin: