Pissing people off.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Pissing people off.

Post by Username17 »

So in every game, the PCs end up pissing people off. Also making friends sometimes, but that's more group dependent I think. So recently a new player came into our Shadowrun game, so we filled up the white board with all the groups that the PCs had hacked off and/or allied themselves with. And because I want to get some sort of conversation started, here it is, the wall of shame (in order of appearence):

[*] + The Black Spiral: A terrorist organization based out of Amazonia (the PCs have reason to believe that they are also funded in whole or in part by that government), The Black Spitral has hired our heroes to perform various actions against the government of the Tir. They have been very happy to provide the PCs with explosives and targetting information, in addition to paying them money to destroy crap.

[*] - Mary Kay Kommandos: The armed forces of the Mary Kay Cosmetics Corporation (a division of Ares Macrotechnology), these guys got pissed off when one of their labs in the Tir was destroyed. They have limited information about our heroes, but are really pissed off.

[*] + The Jacksonian Separatist Movement: Jackson is a proposed nation composed of the lower third of the Tir and a small part of the northern end of the California Free State. It is supposed to be founded on Libertarian principles and Frontier values. It's capitol is supposed to be in Redding. And yes, its supporters are just as creepy and hickish as that sounds. But the PCs gave their cause a major boost by delivering them a bunch of heavy ordnance and traffic control systems (ie.: land mines), and killed a good sized collection of secret police members while doing so. And while this was all at the behest of The Black Spiral, the Jacksonian Separatists consider the PCs to be part of the movement.

[*] - The Government of Tir Tairngire: The PCs have gratuitously insulted upstanding Knights of the Realm (in addition to outright killing more than a few, they stole one of their vehicles and trashed a knight's house down to mixing the sauces in the fridge together and hiding perishables behind furniture); they armed rebels against the state; they killed large contingents of the personal guards of multiple princes; they impersonated retainers of a prince; they are known to be members of a terrorist organization; they looted and destroyed the mansion of a prominent member of the council of princes; and so far every last assassin team that Tir Tairngire has sent against them has failed. They are pissed.

[*] + Green War: Green War is an environamentalist organization which attempts to use the methodology of the modern era to fight the corporations and polluters in a language they understand - high profile assassinations and expensive sabotage. The PCs went halvesies with these guys in a hit to destroy the home of a Tir Prince whose policies were not approved of by Green War. The PCs actually suspect that most of the cell were plants and/or agent provocateurs (except Carl the Toxic shaman, they were pretty sure he was legit) like they were. But in any case Green War international seems to think this mission was a success, and the PCs are official members of Green War as far as they care.

[*] + The Triads: Once they hit the Bay Area of the California Free State, they hooked up with the Triads pretty quickly, and have done a number of things for them. They work alternately with several different branches of that organization: Papa Wong (of Papa Wong's Crabs) was their way into the organization and had them working smuggling, character assassination, and guard duty - he is played by Victor Wong and runs the company and his section of the criminal network with his daughter Jeneane Wong; General Liang is a massive Troll and military operative of the Triads, they spent some time hanging out with his family but mostly he has them shoot the hell out of Yakuza members. General Liang can provide large numbers of Phillipinos with SMGs and machettes, and usually wants them to perform missions in the peninsula that involve setting Yakuza stuff on fire; "68" runs some stylist operations, and also runs some medium-scale prostitution rings. He has gone in with them in making a brothel in Halferville (Fremont), as well as getting them to work on making Yakuza and Imperial forces afraid to stick their valuables into the East Bay.

[*] - The Yakuza: The PCs have set their cars and bussinesses on fire. They've killed their soldiers both on and off the job. They've collected blackmail information on an Oyabun. They've arranged situations where prominent members of the organization had to commit suicide. They've pissed these guys off so hard that there are general descriptions floating around in Chiba with orders to hitmen to kill on sight.

[*] - The Phillipines Governor General of the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere: Our heroes have used missiles to shoot down attack helicopters provided by this authority. Also they moved stolen personal property of the Governor himself. He is so completely unhappy with them that he actually thinks about them from time to time instead of delegating that all to underlings.

[*] - Mitsuhama Computer Technologies: As part of a complex plan, the PCs arranged for a troupe of zombies with six shooters and cowboy hats to assault an MCT gated community, followed by having unmanned drones filled with plastic explosives to detonate all over said gated community and hurl a full-sized truck filled with napalm barrels into said community. Subsequently, they also assassinated an advertisement executive in Nagaland who worked as an MCT armsdealer across the border with Trollish Myanmar. MCT currently doesn't know who our heroes are, but if they ever found out, they'd know exactly what to do with that information.

[*] + Voodoo Ben: The self-proclaimed "Most powerful Houngan on the West Coast", Voodoo Ben lives in a creepy mansion in the Berkley Hills. He dresses in an admiral's uniform jacket and a grass skirt. His ally spirit inhabits the body of a very attractive (and dead) woman. He hires them to do really weird shit, but he also invites them to parties. The parties are also weird.

[*] - World Recording Industry Army: Formerly the Recording Industry Association of America, the modern organization is armed to the teeth and lays dubious extraterritoriality claims to all recorded music and information. They've caught the party decker file sharing, they just haven't caught him...

[*] + Yarborough: Yarborough is an entirely online fixer who speaks only in card metaphors and communicates through text messages displayed on an ancient video poker setup. He has made a lot of money off of them, and they've done some stuff for him. He seems to concern himself with South Asian smuggling and the military balance of power there. Also, he knows a lot of deckers.

[*] - Dr. Fenigris: Looks like a creepy old cat lady on the physical, but she's a giant and way creepier looking cat lady on the astral. The PCs were hired to deliver a magic item to her and then destroy it completely after she took full possession of it (by Voodoo Ben). They did that, and they last say her screaming in rage.

[*] = The Foreign Affairs Office of the Lagos Necropolis: The international operatives of the Ghoul Nation (formerly Southern Nigeria), they are dedicated to making the world safer for Ghouls all over the globe. The PCs met these guys at a party at Voodoo Ben's, and were offered jobs hunting Vampires. They were busy at the time, but kept the LTG number...

[*] + The Athabaskan Council: The PCs participated in a suga run to Anchorage, so the AC is vaguely in support of their activities.

[*] = The Vladivostock Auction House: Vlodivostock is the most capitalist city on earth, having no laws or free services. Everything costs, and everything can be bought. People are expected to pay each other money even for minor services in a giant circle of payment that leaves visitors confused. Hidden fees surround every action and purchase, no matter how minor. V-Bay is an auction house that sells expensive items and takes a modest 70% off the top of anything you sell through them. They have no loyalty to anyone and respond only to the bottom line, but the bottom line is that our heroes sold Manet's "Chez Tortoni" through them. Unfortunately, they forgot to pay the "don't fvcking spy on us fee" and information about their time there has been sold to everyone who figured out the right questions to put money behind.

[*] - Universal Omnitech: One of the PCs is a genetically augmented killing machine who is technically UO property. He has rather strong feelings about this, and the group has started blowing up UO property. Including scientists. And mages. And Research facilities.

[*] - The Nation of Nagaland: After bombing a research facility in Cheng Ki, Nagaland, the PCs stole three cars, shot a roadside checkpoint with an assault cannon, deliberately caused a massive pileup on the main road into Kohima, and generally pissed off the Nagaland military police so much that they almost wouldn't have needed money and advisors from Universal Omnitech to get them to undergo a bout of martial law to attempt to flush them out. All this excitement triggered troop deployments from land-hungry Assam, and Dimapur came under threat. Again. It's the only airport in the country and it's right on the Assam border, so this happens a lot.

[*] + The Calcutta Yacht Club: Nestled in the Western and more Hindu portion of United Bengal, Calcutta is patrolled (and patrollable) only from the air by the company with the law enforcement contract (Vedicorp). But while the streets are clogged with people at all times, the well-to-do escape to the nearby Indian Ocean to travel about in style. Or at least, our heroes do now that they are members of the Calcutta Yacht Club and have purchased a Princessa-class Yacht from them. The club is very exclusive, and headed by a Free Spirit Fire Elemental.

[*] = Coke and Pepsi: While the Cola Wars 2 rage in South Asia, the PCs have managed to stay mostly neutral. They have so far avoided conscription into either army. They have so far leaned towards Pepsi in this confrontation, blatantly purchasing a Pepsi in Coca-Cola territory (right in sight of the giant red billboard with Santa holding a Coke bottle and the text "COKE PROTECTS YOU NOW"), but haven't made any move big enough to be blacklisted by either organization. So far, they've refused all Cola War missions from both camps.

[*] - The Royal Navy of Australia: When the HMAS Owens (a light cruiser) demanded that they subject their yacht to boarding and taxation while in international waters, the PCs took sufficient offense that they ended up killing everyone on board and stealing a cruise missile off it before detonating the rest in an attempt to scuttle the ship. The Australian Navy has only a limited grasp of who they are, but they are livid.

[*] + The Borneo Coastal Defense Force: After the PCs created a giant international incident in the Arafura Sea, they limped back to Benjarmasin, where they unloaded a bunch of Australian wartoys on the Coastal Defense Force in a vaguely plausibly deniable fashion.

---

So if anyone has any questions or wants to post the enemies list from one of their games, go ahead. I think that would be cool.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Re: Pissing people off.

Post by User3 »

I don't have any input to contribute (since I'm not in any active games at the moment), but this is a cool list. I especially like the "Scud the Disposable Assassin" reference. And "V-Bay" made me laugh.

Maybe I'll dig up the enemies lists for some old games I've been involved in. It's been a while, though, so most of them are fuzzy. Also, they would probably be incomprehensible due to heavy homebrewing.

--d.
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

Reading this list certainly makes me want to play Shadowrun.
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

[Associate Fence Builder Speaks]

Moved to the trenches

[Associate Fence Buidler Speaks/]
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Reading this list strengthens my desire to make more use of organizations, sects, and cults in my Vampire game.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So an update... the PCs managed to eventually get back to California, after many trials and tribulations. There are now even more people pissed off at them.

[*] - The nation of Sabah Sabah is a nation on the northern coast of Borneo that used to be affiliated with the Melaysian Federation and is now an independent corporate whore. It boasts a really steep and probably magical black mountain right next to the capitol (Mt. Kinabalu and Kota Kobalu respectively). The national language is Bahasa Melayu, a fact which resulted in one of the PCs blurting out "This isn't even a real language, you island bastards are just doing this to piss me off!" The PCs destroyed a Universal Omnitech research facility and "used the triangle button" on no less than six motor vehicles in one night. Also they sailed away from dock in the middle of the night without speaking to customs. If the government of Sabah ever found them again, they'd probably be executed.

[*] = The Sea Dragon Not actually a Sea Dragon, he's a German fixer who buys and sells weapons and information and also runs a discotheque in Kota Kobalu which caters to European tourists. He was quite happy to sell them explosives in exchange for being alerted to the target of those explosives ahead of time. He was also quite happy to sell that information and so on. Yet another person to whom the "don't fvcking spy on me fee" was not paid.

[*] + The Candy Stripers A red and white go gang based in Kota Kobalu, they run a junk yard and a chop shop. They did a rush job of putting the doors back on a BMW M-13 and also bought 5 other vehicles in one busy night of bussiness (for less than they made off the rush job). If the PCs were ever in Kota Kobalu again, they'd get preferred customer treatment from the Candy Stripers.

[*] + Pele Jeng Pele Jeng is a Polynesian man who apparently spent 15 years guarding some cursed artifacts on an island in Micronesia which is strongly magnetic and in some way masked against magical detection. It also turns out that he was part of the same pirate ship as Voodoo Ben before that. Pele has been out of the loop for a long time (he told them about how Fuchi had a bounty on him), and Voodoo Ben didn't seem entirely pleased to get him back. But VB claims to have a way to deal with the artifacts and the PCs turned the whole problem over to him when they got back to the CFS.

[*] - Yamatetsu Yamatetsu is a powerful international corporation based out of Vlodivostock. The PCs got into the kingdom of Hawaii by faking a Yamatetsu corporate identification and docked there under false pretenses long enought to get refueled. However, Universal Omnitech had by then put two and two together and had marked the boat they were on. And while Universal Omnitech didn't dare open fire on our heroes while they were under the protection of the corporate truce, they did give the PC's location away to the Yakuza - starting a huge firefight on the docks of Honolulu that left three Mitsuhma Zs in the water and 4 others in various states of disrepair while leaving a body count in the low twenties. They also left port without paying fees or submitting for inspection, leaving Yamatetsu holding a bag they don't want to touch.

[*] - The Kingdom of Hawaii Hawaii is an independent nation that maintains itself as the Switzerland of the Pacific. All of the corporations have resorts there and none of them are allowed to break the peace without facing potentially huge consequences. See Yamatetsu above.

-Username17
PzAz04Maus
NPC

Post by PzAz04Maus »

Seems that this is a drab series of system-fluff... Doesn't particularly agree with me, but what the hell. Fun fun fun.... :tongue:
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Frank, how about doing an actual play version of one of your sessions? I would be very interested in reading it.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I was told by one of my players after descibing the various people my previous, long-running D&D had pissed off that he wouldn't enjoy playing in my game.

I think that going from level 5 to 15 should in fact piss off a lot of people, but that's just me.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Frank wrote:Coke and Pepsi: While the Cola Wars 2 rage in South Asia, the PCs have managed to stay mostly neutral. They have so far avoided conscription into either army. They have so far leaned towards Pepsi in this confrontation, blatantly purchasing a Pepsi in Coca-Cola territory (right in sight of the giant red billboard with Santa holding a Coke bottle and the text "COKE PROTECTS YOU NOW"), but haven't made any move big enough to be blacklisted by either organization. So far, they've refused all Cola War missions from both camps.

This made me laugh the most...
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Heh, just read this again, and remembered that I wanted to post something similar from one of my games...

Let's see...

• - Russian Mafia: Our first run was to steal BTLs from them. Not in the contract was burning down their warehouse and killing a bunch of their grunts, but that happened anyways. When they attempted to rearm thereafter, we tracked down the ship coming in with their armaments, determined the route they'd use to drive them to their base, hijacked the truck as it drove away, stole all the weapons, and resold them on the black market. They're pissed, but they don't know who we are, as we left no witnesses.
  • - Wu Universal: The first company that we pulled a serious run on, we've actually destroyed the entire company. It doesn't even exist anymore. Their main operation was storing top-secret data for Renraku, and we started by stealing the proprietary means they use to encrypt that data at the behest of our fixer (some private deal of his). We proceeded to breach the storage compartment for their hazardous chemicals (wrecking their labs), burn down their under-construction future headquarters, gratuitously attack their current headquarters with RPGs and LAWs (the party Troll / Street Sam got drunk and bored), and introduce a nasty sort of intelligent Black Hammer Agent into their computer system, which killed off half their employees. The entire company collapsed at this point, and the remnants were bought up by Black Obelisk in a bit of corporate raiding.
  • + Black Obelisk: An investment firm apparently run by shadowrunners. We've invested upwards of ten million nuyen into them, and expect nice profits.
  • + Hades: Our fixer, he's pretty well-connected, and we've had hints that he's actually some kind of ancient demon-lord or something. Whatever. He provides most of our missions, and pays very well for very difficult runs.
  • - Russian Army: We stole nukes from them. We were actually hired by Hades to BUY nukes in Hong Kong... which led us to a retired Chinese General, who referred us to a black-marketing Russian ex-special forces guy. I (as the group's Technomancer) hacked in on his commlink during negotiations, figured out where he was going to get the nukes from, and then we set out to steal the nukes before they could. Despite accidentally setting off the old Soviet nuclear defense grid (with predictably world-ending consequences), we managed to steal the nukes and defuse everything, and get away with it all (and get paid a lot more then we would have otherwise, as we saved Hades a LOT of money). Early retirement followed.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

This line of work rarely lends itself to reaching the end of middle age, so really all shadowrunners retire early. Just, usually in the "Blade Runner" sense. :uptosomething:

-Des
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Reading this makes me regret my games of shadowrun. My group always precedes very carefully. No heavy weapons, no high risk assignments, no messing with any mage whose power level is over nine thousand. There was that one game where I carried out an assassination by exploding a sky scraper, but that was more of a crazy one shot.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, my players sometimes go incredibly carefully, but they rarely do it in a manner that doesn't piss anyone off.

And of course my pink-mohawk group just had one of the players decide to become an Insect magician. He has started eating flies.

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Pink mohawk group?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

cthulhu at [unixtime wrote:1187247593[/unixtime]]Pink mohawk group?

"Pink Mohawk" is an old Shadowrun term for groups or characters who set shit on fire.

So for example, one of my groups spends literally multiple sessions planning out how they are going to set up false evidence trails and ultimately embezzle large amounts of money while framing and murdering people whose politics they don't agree with. They create fake corporations in Vladivostock registries to accept payments and lay several layers of blame on different organizations. They steal cargo planes from the Arabian Caliphate by hijacking it while they are negotiating for slaves with Madagascaran pirates - and arrange a simultaneous attack on the pirate base by the base's own defenses and then spread internet rumors about sightings of a plane being shot down over the Indian Ocean by a missile. The entire operation had 3 different pirate groups to spread blame on, and was ultimately targetted against Caliphate slavers.

The Pink Mohawk group, by contrast, dropped a nuclear warhead on the Naga Raja's palace and burned their way into the Naga Raja's inner sanctum in order to have a shoot-out with the most powerful Naga on the planet. You know, with guns.

-Username17
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

My god, I love your Pink Mohawk group. Like seriously, I cannot imagine anything more fun, unless their guns also set people on fire.

You know, if I ever play Shadowrun I'm totally making a Space Marine. From what I've read of the system it's actually totally possible.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Group 2 has the win.

Re: Space marines. Yeah, it totally is thinking about it - right down to the spitting acid stuff, paying attention to multiple things etc etc. Going to need a buttload of money.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Bah, money. They'll give me the enhancements or suffer the sacred wrath of the Adeptus Astartes!
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1187517331[/unixtime]]Bah, money. They'll give me the enhancements or suffer the sacred wrath of the Adeptus Astartes!

You will go far in the world of Shadowrun. And by that I mean they will throw your body a long way off.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

If I must die for the glory of the God-Emperor of Mankind, then so be it.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1189014201[/unixtime]]If I must die for the glory of the God-Emperor of Mankind, then so be it.

Oh, you definitely will. Die, that is.

Do share the stories when you start playing though. :uptosomething:
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'd love to be in a campaign with Ceilingcat if his character was a shizophrenic 'space marine' in Shadowrun.
You know, like thinking he was 8 feet tall, wearing power armor, and spit acid, when in reality he was 5'8", wearing a dirty overcoat, and snarling about the glory of the Blood Angels.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

If you want shizophrenia, you want me to play a psyker.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1189212094[/unixtime]]If you want shizophrenia, you want me to play a psyker.

I think he meant delusions. Not actual schizophrenia. Or you could go for Paranoia. i mean, obviously, after that last battle with the Chaos traitors you ended up in this... this... place where verybody is a heretic and you are no longer a glorious warrior of the Emperor and all you have left is the memories. It must have been those Chaos guys, messing with your brains.

The you segue into Solipsism. i mean, if it's all a psychic dream put in your head by heretics then none of these guys here is really real, you know?

You can keep on adding insanities for as long as you want. Fun for the whole family!