Wizard Design

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Wizard Design

Post by virgil »

Figured this would be a better section to ask, especially since I believe the Wizards forum would be suggesting I be an evoker...

I'm going to be in a campaign soon, starting at 1st level, and I'm wanting to play your stereotypical wizard that researches magic for magic's sake.

I have the PHB, and maybe some stuff from the Complete Books. I'm fairly certain I'll take the Geometer PrC for the scribing savings (as the Illusory Page trick will only work for making back-up copies).

I don't want to be crap, and this DM will crush me like a bug if I do some of the really silly tactics (Planar Binding for wishes, etc). How should I build my wizard? General spell selection, feats, etc.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Re: Wizard Design

Post by CalibronXXX »

Divination Specialized, give up Enchantment if you don't especially want mind slaves, otherwise drop Evocation. Lore Master sounds like it fits your concept, but Mage of the Arcane Order would also work well for a scholarly mage and is generally a bit better; In addition to Geometer of course.

When I play mages I like to take Empower Spell and Easy Metamagic(Empower Spell) early on. For combats against one or two enemies I'm a big fan of Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement; works against almost everything, and stays relevant for quite a few levels.

Of course take a look at the "Spells That Fvcking Kill People" thread for other good combat spells, and the other related threads for your buff and utility spells.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Character Optimization would probably give you some good advice over on the Wizards boards.

Suggested reading is LogicNinja's guide to being Batman.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

catharz, got any links?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Well, I think I'm modifying my design a little bit. I'm going to be a gnome illusionist, and I managed to verify with my DM that he won't stealth-nerf illusions (they have to interact/action-investigate to get a save).

I have the followed rolled statistics to mess around with (pre-racial)...17, 14, 14, 12, 8, 7. I think I'm going to shoot for this arrangement (post-race) Str 10, Dex 7, Con 16, Int 17, Wis 8, Cha 14.

My skills are; Knowledge (Arcana, Nobility, Planes), Concentration, Spellcraft, Craft (Alchemy). Not quite certain what my feat will be, possibly Spell Focus (Illusion).

Now, is this a bad idea and I'm shooting myself in the foot?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Sounds sound.

But, what's with the Craft:Alchemy? Do you need it for a prereq? Or are you taking it for RP reasons only?
If the reason is RP only, you might as well take Perform:Fellatio. If you're not gonna use it, why burn skills on it?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

The normal a wizard setup would be Dex 14, Con 14 (->16), Int 17, with nothing else mattering that much.

The difference between an initiative bonus of +2 and an initiative bonus of -2 can be felt.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shadow Conjuration of Creation Effects can, as written, make Poisons, Helaing Salve, and Explosives in combat time if you happen to have Craft: Alchemy.

If your DM will let you do that, it's a pretty good thing to do.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

That's one of the reasons I chose Craft (Alchemy), and the RP reasons are there too. Also, some of the supplements have various alternate items that make the skill useful (Auran Mask from Complete Arcane, for example). I forgot to ask if poison would craftable with the skill too, and if it is, there's another use. Oh, and our rogue will be doing alot of elemental damage once she starts sneak attacking with flasks of acid.

As for letting my Dexterity be a 7, I'm partially using the fact that my AC is going to be pitiful no matter what, and my method of survival will be through just making it a non-option to hit me (Mirror Image, concealment, invisibility, etc). Yes, there's an initiative penalty, but I've noticed that practically half the monsters in the game have a reasonable Dexterity and Improved Initiative; so I'm going last anyway.

Since our DM claims this is going to be a heavy RP campaign, I would be better off actually having Charisma (handy for when I start the Planar Bindings too).
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

No reason to be pitiful about your AC before character creation is finished. I am playing an illusionist (Beguiler/UM) atm, and I do a good job of maintaining the 50% miss chance, but it is just that, 50%. At level 9, I have an AC of 22 without trying particularly hard.
10 base
+2 Amulet of Natural Armor
+2 Ring of Protection
+1 (from a +2 Dex item)
+4 Mage Armor (lasts 10 hours, cast twice daily, get a staff/wand if you want)
+3 Mithral Buckler

I took the Immediate Magic Variant (PHB2) instead of a familiar (immediate action = 1 mirror image = 50% miss chance).

I regret not having better rolls, such that I could put a higher score in Dex than a 11 (it was my second highest score :( ). Going last means that I have to Sculpt spells around my party members, and that I can't Haste them to get them in front of me.

If you assign your 14 to Dex, you should consistantly go early in combat (a HUGE advantage, especially when you cast glitterdust or another Save-Or-Suck that makes it so the monsters can't hit you). At the VERY LEAST, swap Dex and Strength. What do you intend to use the strength score for? I assure you that you will use your Initiative, AC, ranged attacks, and ranged touch more than your load, max weight limit, and combat to hit/damge roll.

Also, consider an age template (+1 save DCs is nice).
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Honestly, I have no idea what you're thinking with the STR 10 and DEX 7. I've never met a wizard who gave a damn about his strength and could hold his own past level five.

It's one thing to not have the initiative boost. It's another thing entirely to have an AC of 8 right from the word get-go because of a shitty DEX score. I admit, I spend most of my time playing over-powered characters, but 7 DEX doesn't make sense for any build I've ever seen.

Other than that, it looks fine. Mind you, I didn't really look hard, but whatever. There's more people on this board that know more than me about playing a wizard to tell you what you're doing wrong better. :)
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Well, the DM finally got a looksie of my ability scores and allowed me to upgrade the 7 to a 10. And since I'm getting flak, how does this look...

Str 8
Dex 12
Con 16
Int 17
Wis 8
Cha 14
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Switch the 14 Charisma to Dexterity. The extra +1 to checks from 14 Charisma doesn't matter nearly as much as +1 to AC and Initiative from Dexterity.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

So spaketh the cat in the ceiling! And we, as men, agreed, and it was good.